Hungarian parts kit info help.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hungarian parts kit info help.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times

Hungarian parts kit info help.

Guy near me has this for sale on another forum. Calling it a SA-85 police kit. Can't say as I ever heard of that. Here are a few pics. Serial number prefix GB. Note rear trunnion and semi-auto trigger group?

IMG_8555.JPG
    IMG_8559.JPG
    IMG_8546.JPG
    IMG_8551.JPG
    Last edited by Wolfhound25; 01-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    Never heard of a “police kit”. I’m sure Hungarian LE has AKs but I imagine they would either be some kinds of identification or none at all. Meaning, they would be no different from other Hungarian AKs.

Also, that “semi auto” trigger group is in fact a full auto trigger group without the auto sear. If he is trying to get more $$ with claiming a “police kit” then he’s not smart enough to pull the auto trigger springs from the kit.

I will say that is a beautiful kit though. Ask him why he thinks that is a “police kit”.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Thanks for the info and observation on the trigger group. I missed that, just didn't look close. I have a message out to him for more info. To me this looks like a AK63f kit. Serial prefix has me stumped.
    22many likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    Almost positive it’s a ak63f kit. I’m pretty sure SA85s didn’t have bayo lugs. I would be interested to take a look under that rear trunnion too see if there is a hourglass trunnion imprint. Someone claiming something like a police kit, i wouldnt doubt it if the rear trunnion was swapped out.

Hungarian variants were never imported in big numbers so we haven’t seen many prefixes.
    Wolfhound25 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    Almost positive it’s a ak63f kit. I’m pretty sure SA85s didn’t have bayo lugs. I would be interested to take a look under that rear trunnion too see if there is a hourglass trunnion imprint. Someone claiming something like a police kit, i wouldnt doubt it if the rear trunnion was swapped out.

Hungarian variants were never imported in big numbers so we haven’t seen many prefixes.
    +1

Member #
    Liked
    2091 times
    Didn't one of the vendors sex up their advertising by marketing these as "police AKs" a long while back?

Can't recall who, but it sure seems like something Centerfire would do.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    572 times
    While it's true Eastern European Police had AKs, I don't know how one ca distinguish between military AKs and police AKs.
    I don't think serial number records are available to the public in terms of who had what and when.

A direct import? But that's highly unlikely. I don't see how it could be done.

Member #
    Liked
    6991 times
    The "police" moniker was conceived by some vendor like Richard W. mentioned. I recall seeing it.

Rear trunnion is a correct later production cast Hungarian rear trunnion. Earlier Hungarian fixed stock trunnions resembled the earlier Soviet "hourglass" rear trunnions. Usually the AKM-63 kit have the hourglass rear trunnions.

I have seen other original barrel kits with the same serial prefix.

My kit like that has an ES serial prefix.

It was probably manufactured in the mid 1980's The front sight block, muzzle nut, rear trunnion and a few other parts on this model are cast.

OP - if the price is right you should buy it. It is a totally legit kit.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 01-13-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    22many and Wolfhound25 like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    Thanks for clearing up the rear trunnion info Steve. I wasn’t quite sure if rear trunnion switched as what ive seen has been hourglass trunnions.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6991 times
    You bet.

A few more pics from my kit taken years ago.

Wolfhound25 and 22many like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    Very nice kit!

Judging by yours and the one OP is interested in, I’m guessing that batch was pretty nice?

Member #
    Liked
    6991 times
    They probably were. I was late to the party and bought mine in 2011 on the secondary market.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There's a little discussion on that other forum about this kit also, and the consensus there is the same as here. Nice kit, but nothing special about it.

Value? Original barrels are not common and do command a premium. OTOH, what is the cost to purchase and deban an SA85, which also has a Hungarian CHF barrel? I'd guess that would cost about $900-$1000. If you could have this kit built and be into it about $1100-$1200 total, I'd say that's not overpriced. So figure $700 for the kit?
    Wolfhound25 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6991 times
    I happily paid $650 in 2011. Original Hungarian barrel kit will always be better than a cut barrel kit.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Thanks everyone for the input. All info was very helpful. I've already got a 63f kit but not with original barrel. I tossed a offer of $700 on it. Will see if he bites. Wants $850, I don't want it that bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors