Help Identifying Maadi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Help Identifying Maadi

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hello, I just picked up a Maadi today from a coworker who bought it many many years ago and never used it. He said the only thing he'd done is change the furniture out about 15 years ago. I'm a little confuse by the stainless bolt and markings. I'm newer to AKs so any insight helps. Thanks, all!
    Attached Images
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7360 times
    Can you provide some close up pictures of the other side of the receiver?

It might be an ACC/INTRAC import. Looks like their might be a muzzle cap welded on over threads. That was common on the first few Intrac batches.

Polishing a bolt carrier was a "thing" with US owners back in the 1990's, but not something Factory 54 (Maadi) did.

The buttstock looks like an ACE model that was available in that time period.

The rifle certainly looks clean.
    OBMF likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Ya got a nice one there looks like an I stamp under the selector so prolly a Y on the other side. 2nds on more pics..we love pics!!
    OBMF likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    More pics per your request. Thanks for the info. Would like to get some original Egyptian or Russian furniture on it. Any info is much appreciated. Let me know if there's any other pics you want. This gun was taken to the range once when he first bought it and never really used again. He is not a gun guy.
    Attached Images
    MPiKM-72, PhilRazz and MLK like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    One more pic.
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    7360 times
    That is a beautiful example. Earlier serial number. Dated 93. You've got a winner. There will be threads under the muzzle cap.

The certificate is to another later Maadi.

Here is a thread where I debanned the last Maadi I purchased. Most of the photos are still active.
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/25...-intrac-2.html
    PhilRazz and Story like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the replies! I've dealt with my share of ARs but AKs are new to me. Any idea on the value of it? As I said, I'm getting rid of the awful furniture and replacing with something genuine. Beyond that, I'm not sure I'll shoot it. I got it more for the history than anything. Will look nice next to my old Enfield.

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    Welcome to the group an definitely a winner. Other than the obviously changed furniture, the rifle itself being an ARM is the most desirable of the post-Bush1-ban rifles.
    PhilRazz and OBMF like this.

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    For a first ak you’ve got a sweet one and one of my favorites. Will definitely look better with some Egyptian or Russian furniture on it. You can try posting in the want to buy/trade section, someone may want to trade for what you’ve got now. Egyptian furniture can be hard to find right now but keep an eye open.

Also clean real well after shooting..some of that ammo may be corrosive. The little boxes with the white paper tape on them looks like South African, are the boxes shaped like a Chinese food takeout container? Good ammo but definitely clean well or you’ll have a rusty mess on your hands.

Do the magazines have any markings or stamps on them..along the spine and such? If they’re Egyptian mags they’ll have huge welds in this area
    MPiKM-72 and OBMF like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    None of the mags appear to have those thick welds. Half are stamped Made in China on the bottom and the other half appear to have no markings. I was told the 75 round drum mag is Chinese.

Member #
    Liked
    7360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OBMF View Post
    None of the mags appear to have those thick welds. Half are stamped Made in China on the bottom and the other half appear to have no markings. I was told the 75 round drum mag is Chinese.
    That sounds right for the time period. I didn't place a hand on a legit 30 round Egyptian mag until 2008 or 2009, despite having owned Maadis since 1993. My first Maadis came with 5 round mags. East German and Chinese were the most common 7.62x39 30 round mags in the 1990's.

Maadi mags didn't start becoming really available until 2011 or so when Balkan imports were at their height.
    PhilRazz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Interesting and good to know. Anyone have a ballpark on the value once I get either some Russian or Egyptian furniture on it like in the link below?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/857613144

AGG

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    At a minimum, the bolt, furniture and stock are not original!!!
    The Certificate and manual are for a PARS International RML (short barrel).

Tony

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Yeah, it's been well established the furniture was swapped out. That's something the seller had disclosed. The bolt appears to be original, just polished as others had suggested. The cert and manual are definitely for a different Maadi. This is a 93 stamped rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi, all! Stopping back in for an update. Got rid of the oak looking furniture and replaced it with some Russian blood red from sovietstocks.com. I also ordered an original Egyptian sling that I haven't taken the time to put on. Thanks for all the help!
    Attached Images
    wingnut308 and PhilRazz like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors