Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arik
  • 1 Post By Arik

Thread: Price Check - B West receiver Bakelite Side Folder

Member #
    Liked
    227 times

Price Check - B West receiver Bakelite Side Folder

Found one of these coming up for auction and I was wondering what it would be worth. I know about the receiver heat treat issues, so this would likely be given a new receiver.

tp

Member #
    Liked
    567 times
    Wow, looks like it took a nap in a puddle. And that scope mount lol.

The furniture alone is worth $600. Factoring that along with the other parts I’d say if you can get it for under $1k you’re doing alright. $800 would be a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by someone
    saying you saved a Chinese rifle by turning it into a Romanian clone is like saying you washed your hands with poop and hot water.

Member #
    Liked
    8459 times
    "Made in the USA" between the rust and the reputation of B-West receivers I wouldn't touch it but that's just me. Even if I could sell the furniture it would have to be so cheap to make it worthwhile to me

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Same variant B West in mint condition local to me has been continually resisted for months priced at $1500 which probably means could be purchased for less.

If I wanted a shooter clone, then the OP's might could be purchased for cheap to make it worth while to rebuild with US receiver and re-blue.

IMO, it's not what the OP's gun is worth to buy, it's what his finished rifle will end up costing because that will be a labor of love as it will be a bastard so to speak, not a collectible Chinese rifle, may not recoup the investment if selling down the road.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I agree that if cheap enough (maybe $600-$800), you have an Chinese kit with Chinese barrel and some pretty desirable parts like the bakelite, GB, FSB. I'd suspect some MAK/NHM owners might want those parts for debanning.

Member #
    Liked
    8459 times
    Assuming the barrel doesn't look like the outside of the rifle
    gonogo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Assuming the barrel doesn't look like the outside of the rifle

Chrome lined barrel is probably just fine...

Member #
    Liked
    8459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    Chrome lined barrel is probably just fine...
    Those are old rifles and this one has seen some water. B-West was early 90s when surplus corrosive ammo was plenty. Lots of rusty chrome lined barreled out there in SKSs and AKs
    gonogo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    If I could get it for a good price I'd snatch it right up. Boil off that rust and build it back up on a good receiver with the Chinese selector markings. You would think it could be had for a pretty good price because those "in the know" regarding AK's would be put off by the receiver heat treat issues, and those who aren't AK aficionados would be put off by the rust. I think it would make a cool "African Warlord Build" with the finish wear and rust. Grab it if the price is right, OP.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    The problem is, with actual all chinese made rifles imported, building one of these on a US receiver it will always be the red headed stepchild. Price will reflect it as will collectability. People think because they see prebans going for stupid money that all chinese rifles are like that. If that’s the condition and there are no other pics then I would expect worse on the inside and barrel.

Also keep in mind chinese receivers are thicker than others and finding and building on a correct 1.6 receiver is going to be hard. Rivets are different too. That is, as long as B West didnt cobble parts together and build on a 1mm receiver.

IMO, if you can’t or haven’t built many AKs, its a parts rifle. Even then, you’ll be more into it then its worth.
    Last edited by 22many; 01-11-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    Just a thought, if it was purchased for the right price, could the receiver be properly heat treated without having to remove the trunions?

Thinking that heat treating then hot bluing might be cheaper than getting a new receiver and rebuilding.

Also, as stated earlier, a good check of the bore would be important in determining the value as a rebuild or re-treat. Hard to do with an auction rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    The problem is, with actual all chinese made rifles imported, building one of these on a US receiver it will always be the red headed stepchild. Price will reflect it as will collectability. People think because they see prebans going for stupid money that all chinese rifles are like that. If that’s the condition and there are no other pics then I would expect worse on the inside and barrel.

Also keep in mind chinese receivers are thicker than others and finding and building on a correct 1.6 receiver is going to be hard. Rivets are different too. That is, as long as B West didnt cobble parts together and build on a 1mm receiver.

IMO, if you can’t or haven’t built many AKs, its a parts rifle. Even then, you’ll be more into it then its worth.
    I have no experience building AKs, so this would be farmed out if I did buy it.

I know it'll never be worth as much as a preban, I was thinking I could buy it and have it rebuilt on a new receiver for less than the 2 grand or so that an original bakelite folder usually goes for on GunBroker.

I know about the receiver being thicker, I was planning on getting one from Childers, as they make a Type 56 receiver. Are there any issues with their receivers that I don't know about? I doubt they would have cobbled parts together, as I think parts kits weren't that available in the early 1990s. I was born in 1989, so that may be completely wrong.

MLK

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Buy it and shoot it till it breaks. In the mean time buy a new receiver for the eventual outcome. It is a nice collection of rare parts.
    I've forgotten more about ak's since I woke up this morning then you will ever know.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    The 1.5mm Childers FFL Chinese receiver with markings would be nice and MyGunsNorthwest has the Chinese rivets.

I'd figure with shipping 4 ways (rifle, receiver, to and back from builder), FFL fees, disassembly, new parts, assembly, refinishing + bluing will run around $750

If OP could get the old rifle for around $750 then a darn good clone for around $1500 would be something I'd be interested in.
    Last edited by gonogo; 01-11-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8619 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceSells560 View Post
    I have no experience building AKs, so this would be farmed out if I did buy it.

I know it'll never be worth as much as a preban, I was thinking I could buy it and have it rebuilt on a new receiver for less than the 2 grand or so that an original bakelite folder usually goes for on GunBroker.

I know about the receiver being thicker, I was planning on getting one from Childers, as they make a Type 56 receiver. Are there any issues with their receivers that I don't know about? I doubt they would have cobbled parts together, as I think parts kits weren't that available in the early 1990s. I was born in 1989, so that may be completely wrong.
    The early days of kit building we learned a lot. Screw builds, soft receivers, hack builds, ect, ect were common and B West was no different. If i recall, they even added “supports” in the magwell to stiffen the receivers. The supports were often scrap metal scabbed in. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the kit itself but you gotta remember who/how they were built in the early days.

Receiver wise Childers isn’t bad. I don’t prefer them because of small differences but chi com receivers you cant be too picky. If i recall, turbothis (my guns northwest) was building chi com receivers and the proper rivets a couple years ago. He dropped off this forum so I haven’t kept up to date on what he’s doing. Google search will bring up his website.

This really isn’t a kit that you want to start on. The differences, thicker receiver, and lack of parts if you mess up (keep in mind, barrel is different also) can get super spendy or stop you all together if parts can’t be located. However, if price is right you could pick it up and shelf it until you have 4-5 builds under your belt.

Gunbroker pricing is just that. Its not a good gauge to value something by unless multiples of the same things are sold consistently.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors