Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fig

Thread: AKS-762 side folder to MAK 90

Fig

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

AKS-762 side folder to MAK 90

Though I would show the leftover conversion markings from side folder to MAK 90. Based on sn 386 CS 94xx Poly Tech, I am told she actually started life as a AKS-762 galil side folder.
    I may not use the right terms please bear with me. The front threads were turned down to 1/2 inch, with grind marks on the fsb where the set pin would be. The lug and cleaning rod holder was ground off. The lower hand guard still has the hole for the cleaning rod but not in the retaining ring. The stamped receiver is still square cut but I don't know if any thing is different here. The original model area is ground out and badly etched MAK 90.
    They can grind off her features but they can't kill her heart.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4513 times
    I'm not a Chicom authority by any means, but I always assumed that the 400 or so AKS 7.62 "Galil" stock variants all came in at the same time and were configured the same way. If that's not the case, ignore everything that follows, but my pre-ban AKS 7.62 ("Galil" type) is not configured the same way as the rifle you've shown as far as receiver markings and other features. If the lower handguard retainer does not have a cleaning rod hole, then it means the entire barrel assembly was put together post-ban, and is not a neutered pre-ban barrel.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    1213 times
    According to the story the Keng family told me, there were no differences between the "standard" side folder and Galil style other than the stock itself. All markings were identical between the two, and since they forgot to tell the Chinese to start a new serial number sequence resulting in the two style rifles getting mixed together and now way to tell how many of either model were imported above the 200 minimum per style.

As for the barrel, the obvious removal of the threads and cleaning rod mounts attest to it being original. A handguard without cleaning rod hole and/or the cover plate without the hole were definately added when the Bush-hole stock was installed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4513 times
    My point is that the barrel was assembled post-ban with neutered parts. Can't get a post-ban "LHG retainer w/o a cleaning rod hole" on the barrel with the FSB and GB on, and it seems improbable that the muzzle nut détente was welded over with the FSB on the barrel.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Fig

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I just rechecked and the hand guard retaining ring did have a cleaning rod hole it was covered and ground.
    Attached Images
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1213 times

Member #
    Liked
    6530 times
    I have an older aftermarket Galil style folder which will attach to a standard rear trunion so those are out there. Manticor also makes a look alike side folder in the bakelite style that I do believe attaches in the same fashion.

Possible options.

Enjoy the rifle.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors