AK Rifles banner

MAK 90 front sight problem

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fury_58 
#1 ·
My MAK 90 has its front sight post all the waaaay to the left in order to get the rifle to put bullets at the point of aim.
Can anything be done to get the post centered with accurate hits?

#2 ·
You can knock out the pins, rotate the front sight block EVER SO SLIGHTLY in that direction, and put the pins back in. Depending on how tight it all is, you might have to redrill the holes at a slightly different angle, or maybe not.

That's one way... Not sure if you want to do this on a MAK90, though...

#4 ·
I had an adjustable rear sight like that and it worked fine until it inexplicably fell apart one day at the range. So now I'm a believer in simple and strong. Thus the original fixed rear sight is back on the rifle.
The pins are out of the front sight and it hasn't moved. Tried some gentle and then moderate tapping, followed by leverage. Then applied enough heat to get something bubbling out of the ends. More tapping and leverage went nowhere.
On line info tells me that the sight is cast, so I'm leary of breaking it.
Any ideas? Thanks.

#5 ·
A to Z said:
Any ideas? Thanks.
Well, the way I did it was to lock the front sight into a vice (with wood between the sight and the vice), then put a long crescent wrench on the gas tube (which was tight and pinned in still, so somewhat secure), locking the wrench down on the gas tube, then hitting it at the end of the handle with a hammer or mallet or something. Remember, you only need to move it a TINY BIT (I mean like a line of pencil mark at the extreme).

Keep in mind, however, that I did this on a Saiga I converted. If I mess it up, I can buy a new Saiga, a new Bulgarian gas block, a new Bulgarian front sight block, etc. Wrecking a MAK-90 is a much bigger deal. I didn't do any damage on mine, but I only did it once, and I didn't care about scratching the finish, I'll just paint over it if I have to. The bluing on a MAK-90 might be harder to fix if you scratch.

Are you using a penetrating spray? I used some Rust Eater. Spray it in each end and down the empty pin holes, let it soak, do it multiple times... I dunno what that'll do to the bluing either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.