AK Rifles banner

End of the parts world and the world

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ellisr7.62 
#1 ·
I have the latest gen. SSR-85C with the detachable slant break bought from Atlantic imported by TN Gun Works. What parts on an AK will wear out over time? Springs, firing pin, BCG? I am not interested in a complete kit - just need the parts that are prone to breaing or wear.

Will you advise me on what spare parts I need to be buying and suggest a shop that sells good spare parts for my beautiful baby Bulgy? In the AR world, many sell packaged spare parts kits, but I have not found such a beast in the AK world.

What spare parts from other East Bloc Country's version of the AK from your suggested spare parts list will not work in the SSR-85C? Is this even an issue?

Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
Considering that your gun is semi auto, it will probably have first part failure in about 30,000 rounds. Very few, or none of us shoots that much any more with the ammo prices of x39 being over $200/K.

I used to shoot a lot, for having only semi autos (10K rounds a year), but past 2 years, I probably don't even shoot 2K rounds per year.

So, if you have more than one AK, and shoot as much as I do, your gun is good for a long time.

#5 ·
Understood Stoyan..... I like to shoot a lot, but I doubt I will ever get to the 30k round volume. I just don't want to be the one guy that has all the rifles, mags, ammo, et al and not be able to enjoy them due to an obomination of parts....

Been long on the above mentioned pre craze, but after hearing about the possible part ban, I figured I better get motivated.

Think I will still get a few firing pins. I can always make a necklace out of em and wear them in 2012 when I go to vote.

#6 ·
That rifle is built like a tank. Maybe a recoil spring (old type III) and an extra firing pin; maybe an an extractor. I seriously doubt you will ever need them in your lifetime. I bought a spare gas tube cuz mine was rusted to hell (it was a Global Armory version, which is the same rifle.), but In reality won't need it. It cleaned up fine, though a bit pitted. Gives it character, but nothing is "wearing out on it".

You might buy some fire control parts (disconnector, hammer, hammer spring, disconnector spring); so this doesn't happen.... (see below)

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_mQOssWDA

God knows how many rounds were put through this specimen.

#8 ·
Considering that your gun is semi auto, it will probably have first part failure in about 30,000 rounds. Very few, or none of us shoots that much any more with the ammo prices of x39 being over $200/K.
Does the same also hold for the post-ban-sunset made AKs people are getting now-days? Stamped receives, etc? In other words, for those who've handled the older arms and the newer ones, does the quality seem sufficient to say they'll last?

Thanks.

#9 ·
denniscalhounhare said:
Thanks 1gunner. Will that Romanian kit work in my Bulgy though? Sorry - Just a confused wheel gun guy here... Also, the tragic flaw of the AR 15 seems to be the bolt. Any such issues with the AK? Any other parts besides that DSA kit that I ought to consider?
All the springs and extractor should work, the only thing that might not work without modification is the firing pin. I'm not an expert but I think there are some variances with the firing pin in the different countries. The only thing else I would buy is another US Fire Control Group, such as the G2 or KVAR set. With the DSA kit and the extra fire control, I can't think of anything else you would need.

#10 ·
+1 on the FCG set, since they are compliance parts, and some were substandard compared to Milspec products. Some are better.

Better safe than sorrry, as stated before, buy a hammer, disconnector, trigger hook, and a set of springs to match. You'd be fine with those.

#11 ·
In AK's, I have: Had an AK-74 extractor egg its pin hole and pop out/ride on the bolt carrier, had a cheap romanian firing pin mushroom on the back end enough to stick, and had a bolt face slightly wear from crappy bulgarian 5.45x39 primers making rings on it. Thats about it with probibly 5-10k rounds throug it. though the bolt rails are the other thing a bit worn, but not anywhere near half way worn out. Id get an extractor, firing pin, and all springs. thats pretty much it for AK's, if money allows, the next thing would be a stripped or virgin bolt head. Other than that, nothing is really going to fail if you keep your shit clean.

#13 ·
LeibstandarteAdH said:
In AK's, I have: Had an AK-74 extractor egg its pin hole and pop out/ride on the bolt carrier, had a cheap romanian firing pin mushroom on the back end enough to stick, and had a bolt face slightly wear from crappy bulgarian 5.45x39 primers making rings on it. Thats about it with probibly 5-10k rounds throug it. though the bolt rails are the other thing a bit worn, but not anywhere near half way worn out. Id get an extractor, firing pin, and all springs. thats pretty much it for AK's, if money allows, the next thing would be a stripped or virgin bolt head. Other than that, nothing is really going to fail if you keep your shit clean.
Leib,

On the virgin bolt head.......

Wouldn't you go ahead and have someone check it for headspace?

I've dropped one in a SAR1 with no problem, but would be worried about a replacement in my 5.45 rifles. Seems like there are less tolerances when playing with smaller parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.