Found one of my old Arsenal reviews by accident!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Found one of my old Arsenal reviews by accident!

Boy, this takes me back.

This is when I used "Major Pita" as a handle on some forums.

An oldie from the Twilight Zone.

http://akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26408

I think the last batch or so of the post-ban rifles had maybe the highest quality control Arsenal ever achieved.
    Celebrating 20 years of AK ownership: 1992-2012

Member #
    Liked
    793 times
    Holy moly, thats a long review!!!
    WTB
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59437
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59170
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N L-90108
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N F-80598
    FN-49
    SVT-40

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quite informative, indeed!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The SA M-7 Carbines were sweet pieces of hardware.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

WTB: Type 1 buttstock

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisara
    Quite informative, indeed!

Ha Ha. That's great.

I do have to say, though, that I now consider the SA M7R to be the ultimate AK. It's basically the same gun as the Carbine but with the scope rail. It also has the NATO-length longer stock. Whether the longer stock is a good or bad thing is mostly a matter of preference.

I'll also say that the Carbines weren't nearly as nicely put together as the "R"'s. Every SA M7R I bought met my impossibly high standards for perfectly fitted receiver covers, selectors, and gas tube latches. The Carbines used to give me fits they were so sloppy. Maybe that's why I only kept one.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Must have been "bad day" carbines. Mine is built like a brick shithouse, hardly anything loose on the AK.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The lower handguard on my SA M7 got loose after about 1000 rounds. I've heard that isn't unusual though. Had to put a small spacer in there. Problem solved.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aurang
    Must have been "bad day" carbines. Mine is built like a brick shithouse, hardly anything loose on the AK.

The no-ban ones were worse. I was one of those "lucky" individuals who got two of the first fifty no-ban SA M7 Carbines made in April of 2005.

I put "lucky" in quotes because it was obvious they were put together from floor sweepings. My dealer ordered four; he was sent three. The gas tube latches on two out of the three were bent up and away from the rear sight base so they weren't really locking down. The receiver covers on all three were excessively short; they just barely reached up underneath the rear sight base groove. Hanguards were rattly. Receiver covers were rattly. The only reason I bought the best two out of the three is that this was around the time Arsenal was threatening to quit making milled receivers. I held my nose and paid my money with the idea I could "fix" what was wrong with them.

It was obvious they were put together partly with SLR101 parts, too, as the bolt/bolt carrier were of the "skinny bolt stem" type like the single stack SLR101's. THAT I couldn't fix, but they shot reliably.

SA M7 Carbines made later in 2005 and 2006 were sloppy too. After rejecting several at the local gun shop, I finally found one that was "just good enough" from the last batch of Carbines before they were discontinued. It too had a bent gas tube latch that I carefully fixed with a leatherman tool.

Still, the minute I saw my first SA M7R, it was so perfect it looked hand made compared to the sloppy SA M7 Carbines. I rotated my entire collection of Carbines except the last one in order to get SA M7R's.

The quality of the SA M7R's restored my faith in Arsenal to an extent. I don't think I would have ordered a Classic except for the quality of these.

I'm glad the Classic is prolly going to be my last milled Arsenal.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think that was right around the time I got mine. No rattle on anything and everything is tight as tight can be. The only thing that irks me is the trigger doesn't have a real noticeable break on the first shot, the resets and the follow up breaks/shots are fine.

Basically my first AK and I put a good number of rounds through it. I'll tell you one thing, if you're relatively new to AK's, they scare/beat the crap out of you the first few times you shoot them. After you hit a few thousand rounds with these things, you can make the same good hits with an AK as you can make with a .223.

My gunsmith had a few of the initial SA M-7 production (like when they first started up) and those were in my opinion superior grade rifles on account of the good triggers.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    To me, the best rifles Arsenal ever made were just before the war in Iraq and military contracts started eating up resources.

I had seen occasional issues with their rifles from my first one in 2002, but nothing that needed "fixing" until the no-ban ones came out.

I jokingly called all no-ban SA M7's "wartime production".

Still, the SA M7R's have had a higher standard of fit and finish than other no-ban guns I've seen. I also have seen a couple of SA M7A1's that were perfect.

I start to think the Carbines became the outlet for "not so perfect" parts after the ban expired.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors