what are bulgarian gun laws like?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what are bulgarian gun laws like?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

what are bulgarian gun laws like?

as an american, a gun collector, and a person who generally believes in the human right to defend ones self, i have some questions for any of the bulgarians on this site. There is a slight possibility that i might possibly move to bulgaria with my wife. what are the laws there concerning civilian gun ownership? my wife is a bulgarian citizen, and i know that my chances of actually becoming a citizen are small, but she would be willing to actually purchase and "own" any firearms in question. so can civilians actually buy any sort of firearms? if they can, are there any restrictions, legal requirments, paperwork, or permits? any answers would be greatly appreciated.

ps, if firearms are legal for civilians, are there any gun shops around plovdiv?
    While Henry Ford democratized mobility and Thomas Edison democratized entertainment, it was Mikhail Kalashnikov who democratized violence.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: what are bulgarian gun laws like?

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar
    as an american, a gun collector, and a person who generally believes in the human right to defend ones self, i have some questions for any of the bulgarians on this site. There is a slight possibility that i might possibly move to bulgaria with my wife. what are the laws there concerning civilian gun ownership? my wife is a bulgarian citizen, and i know that my chances of actually becoming a citizen are small, but she would be willing to actually purchase and "own" any firearms in question. so can civilians actually buy any sort of firearms? if they can, are there any restrictions, legal requirments, paperwork, or permits? any answers would be greatly appreciated.

ps, if firearms are legal for civilians, are there any gun shops around plovdiv?
    I don't know any of the laws, but when I was in Sofia in a bar they had a set of lockers with pictures of wallets, purses, and handguns on the sign.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    well there is LEGALlity and then there is REALity. i understand that in bulgaria, like most of eastern europe, blackmarket firearms are probably not difficult to obtain, just a matter of knowing the right people. many people, especially in sofia, are probably armed. many bars are owned, or controlled outright by the mafia, and i'm sure they don't care if the guns people bring into their places of business are legal or not, so long as people aren't shooting each other and spoiling the atmosphere. the question is if guns can be owned legally, because the last thing i would want is problems with any police or people who could make life difficult. i have a feeling jail in bulgaria is not a fun place, especially if you knowlage of the language is limited to asking for more beer

anyhow, this is a question that i feel only a bulgarian can answer. my wife was suprised when i showed her my slr 101, and said she had no idea someone could own a kalashnikov. so my closest resorce on bulgarian law is not much help in this matter.
    While Henry Ford democratized mobility and Thomas Edison democratized entertainment, it was Mikhail Kalashnikov who democratized violence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Check Arsenal Bulgaria website out, they have civilian AK's, sporterized and non sporterized..

I assume they would be similar to our own with maybe a permit of some kind/?
    Snake eye tought me the mojo style

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    arsenal sells firearms on every continent on the planet except antartica, i'm sure that they make ak's to fit the laws of just about any country that allows semiauto rifles. but what about bulgaria? i dont want to go off of a manufacturer's website. plus i need to know what kind of permits.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I May have found what you are looking for..

http://www.international-alert.org/pdfs ... aStudy.pdf

ETA: I just ASSumed if they made civi versions they would have been legal for there own populous to own..
    Snake eye tought me the mojo style

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicky
    Check Arsenal Bulgaria website out, they have civilian AK's, sporterized and non sporterized..

I assume they would be similar to our own with maybe a permit of some kind/?
    +1.....Arsenal of Bulgaria has them under the semi-automatic Hunting category.

http://www.arsenal-bg.com/hunting.htm

I've sent them an email before on another inquiry, and they actually responded, though it took 2-3 weeks. Maybe you can try emailing them with a short and to the point question about semi-auto rifle civilian ownership by citizens and non-citizen residents.

If you find something out, post your findings. I don't see myself moving to Bulgaria or aything, but I'm just curious...???
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks jicky. here's the relevant stuff. some questions i would still like some answers on are - who issues fire arm licenses? is it done locally through the police, or through sofia through the ministry of interior? if you receive a license for hunting purposes, how does that affect the type of firearm you are allowed to purchase? are you only allowed to own semi auto firearms for personal protection? what about ammunition?

Possession of firearms and ammunition is regulated through the Law for Control on Explosives, Firearms and Ammunition and the Regulation of its implementation. Under this law, an individual or company is allowed to possess, store and use non-military style firearms and ammunition for protection, self-protection, production, hunting, sport and cultural purposes. In July 2003, the law was amended to relax some of its previous specifications. Currently, applicants are no longer required to pass a mental health test, and ‘alcohol or drugs misuse’, ‘putting national security in danger’ and ‘systematically disturbing the peace’ no longer constitute reasons for refusal of a permit. A further important recent development has been the establishment of a Central Registry of Firearms at the National Police Headquarters which, according to the Government, attempts to ensure the destruction of all confiscated illegal arms.

Regarding civilian possession of weapons, the Bulgarian Government requires individuals to apply for a gun licence and register their weapons with the Ministry of Interior. On the
    one hand, it appears to be extremely difficult to receive a licence to own a gun. Written statements justifying the need to own a gun must be presented, and the Ministry of Interior, officials say, is very strict about granting civilian gun licences. On the other hand, many officials report that gun ownership among the Bulgarian population is on the rise. In
    2003, there were 302,366 registered firearms in Bulgaria. Although in absolute terms, this is still lower than levels of possession in neighbouring states, this is still a notable
    increase in the space of a few years. This has been explained by the increase in insecurity among civilians and the increase in private security companies. In addition to this, there is no concrete data on the number of illegally held firearms and the scale of the problem remains largely unknown; it is believed, however, to be on the increase. A large number of
    firearms are known to be produced in illegal workshops around Bulgaria, or smuggled into the country from the Western Balkans.30 According to a study conducted by Safeworld and
    Bulgaria's Centre for Studies on Democracy, since there were fewer soldiers, roughly 300,000 military weapons are no longer in use and some of these have found their way into
    the hands of approximately 300 local criminal gangs.31 Another 300,000 of the weapons registered in Bulgaria are privately owned, belonging to hunters, security companies and
    people who could prove that they need a firearm for self-defence. The number of firearms in circulation contributed to Bulgaria's high crime rate, according to the study.

The 1995 law governing the arms trade in Bulgaria prescribed low-level penalties for the violation of its provisions. The new legislation raises the civil penalties for illegal arms
    deals to a range of 50,000 to 500,000 lev (approximately USD 25,000 to USD 250,000). According to a new article (#233) in the Bulgarian Criminal Code, criminal offences can
    be punished by up to eight years in prison and a fine of 1,000,000 lev (approximately USD 500,000). However, a distinction between individual and corporate violations in the arms trade law implies that companies are likely to face civil penalties (fines and the revocation of export licence) while individuals (brokers) are more likely to face the
    criminal ones. Whatever the form of penalty, Bulgaria has had little to no experience with criminal investigations for the arms trade law violations since no individual, group,
    or company have been prosecuted so far.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i'll keep everyone posted. if any bulgarians read all this and have any experience, your comments are appreciated. i'll shoot an email to arsenal sometime this week. this is all pretty unlikely at this point, but it is certainly much more likely than it was before i got married. thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    793 times
    You will have no problem becoming Bulgarian citizen if you are married to a Bulgarian citizen. Furthermore, Bulgaria does allow dual citizenship, and now that Bulgaria is a state of United States of Europe (European Union), with your Bulgarian passport you will be able to do everything in Europe that every other European citizen can do.

In Bulgaria gun ownership is possible, but it involves a lot of paperwork, time and going to hell and back for every single gun purchase. Therefore its probably best to just get couple of pistols for self protection.
    WTB
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59437
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59170
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N L-90108
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N F-80598
    FN-49
    SVT-40

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks stoyan. i dont really need an arsenal of my own or any thing, just a rifle or two and i feel good to go. how recent is your info on the citizenship process. my wife checked out the paperwork from the embassy and one of the key requirements is that you speak bulgarian. bulgarskia me neh a dubur if it's not that big a deal, then great. but let me know of any first hand info you know.

i'll check in at that other site, and see what folks have to say. thanks again for the help.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks stoyan. i dont really need an arsenal of my own or any thing, just a rifle or two and i feel good to go. how recent is your info on the citizenship process. my wife checked out the paperwork from the embassy and one of the key requirements is that you speak bulgarian. bulgarskia me neh a dubur if it's not that big a deal, then great. but let me know of any first hand info you know.

i'll check in at that other site, and see what folks have to say. thanks again for the help.

Member #
    Liked
    793 times
    Don't worry about the citizenship, you will get it if you want it.
    WTB
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59437
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N R-59170
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N L-90108
    Polish NSP-3 Scope S/N F-80598
    FN-49
    SVT-40

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A rifle or two ?!
    Am i the only one withougt a gun
    And why do u wanna move to BG i dont think u'll even be able to afford guns

Member #
    Liked
    8276 times
    Wow a 6 year old thread.

Are you the only one without a gun? Only you can answer that question

Maybe he has a job that's sending him there or in this case his wife is Bulgarian. And why wouldn't he not be able to afford guns there?

I have a feeling I know where this is going but I couldn't help but post
    Andyman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors