what are bulgarian gun laws like? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what are bulgarian gun laws like?

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bori0100 View Post
    A rifle or two ?!
    Am i the only one withougt a gun
    And why do u wanna move to BG i dont think u'll even be able to afford guns
    Lol. WTF...?

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    as an american, a gun collector, and a person who generally believes in the human right to defend ones self, i have some questions for any of the bulgarians on this site. There is a slight possibility that i might possibly move to bulgaria with my wife. what are the laws there concerning civilian gun ownership? my wife is a bulgarian citizen, and i know that my chances of actually becoming a citizen are small, but she would be willing to actually purchase and "own" any firearms in question. so can civilians actually buy any sort of firearms? if they can, are there any restrictions, legal requirments, paperwork, or permits? any answers would be greatly appreciated.

ps, if firearms are legal for civilians, are there any gun shops around plovdiv?
    Did you get your answers???

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    as an american, a gun collector, and a person who generally believes in the human right to defend ones self, i have some questions for any of the bulgarians on this site. There is a slight possibility that i might possibly move to bulgaria with my wife. what are the laws there concerning civilian gun ownership? my wife is a bulgarian citizen, and i know that my chances of actually becoming a citizen are small, but she would be willing to actually purchase and "own" any firearms in question. so can civilians actually buy any sort of firearms? if they can, are there any restrictions, legal requirments, paperwork, or permits? any answers would be greatly appreciated.

ps, if firearms are legal for civilians, are there any gun shops around plovdiv?
    very old thread but since people keep bumping it up and it shows on google, here for posterity for others.

Bulgaria is a MAY ISSUE country (I know, the dreaded words). Discretion of issuance is generally abused and guided by bias of the issuing body/person as there is no legal requirement for them do anything nor be accountable to anyone for telling you to pound it.

There are 2 types of permits; possession permit also known as purchase permit and carry permit. Independent of one another. This is further split by the type of gun one wants to get.

Long guns and handguns are treated differently. hunting rifles are very easy to get approved for and there are a lot of those. Handguns on the other hand are primarily for target sport and collecting purposes and carry permits are completely discretionary and typically issued as part of job requirements - certain security personnel etc. "self defense" is not a valid reason but it can be used as cause, especially if one can make a case you actually have active threats against you. Because of bias and general idiocy of young people (there is no gun culture there) , the younger you are the more you will be scrutinized, as there are no legal protections against that. Under 30 and wanting a carry permit.. good luck.

military rifles (think NFA stuff) is pretty much a no go except for pretty well established collectors with long track records.

ammunition is also controlled and cannot be bought freely without a possession permit, and its tied to the caliber of that gun. but not really enforced all that much. hollow point ammo is no bueno.

requirements are pretty straight forward. main points are
    - don't owe taxes/no tax evasion
    - pass a psychiatric evaluation (if you aren't insane you will be by the time you are done with it). this also implies you are fluent in the language. no translations.... its a live series of interviews.
    - be a citizen
    - have no past or pending disqualifying legal matters. roughly translates to don't be a felon. the process for obtaining that changed in 2017 to NICS like system so yay.

money involved isn't much at all compared to places like Germany, Ireland etc that try to keep people away with expensive permit system. the only cost is really the markup on the guns + the VAT.

no limit on the number of guns you can have. just need to check in with the powers to be before each purchase and get it approved. but once you get the ball rolling it gets easier for subsequent additions.

former military and law enforcement not on probationary hire are exempt from pretty much all of that feel warm inside nonsense.

The problem really comes in using your guns for purposes other than hunting game, collecting or sporting activities. Whatever god you may believe in, he better help you if you ever have to shoot somebody who is beating you in your own home with a crowbar. so basically, if you have to shoot someone, make sure nobody finds them..... that's the main reason guns aren't that popular here. they are legally useless. no castle doctrine, no stand your ground nothing. absolutely nothing! the law does have provisions for protecting life however the details are basically such that call for proportionate response.

you are attacked with a fist - use a fist yourself
    you are smashed with a bat - use a bat yourself
    they are shooting at you with an ak - well use an ak if you have it, if not next closest thing.

but don't you dare use a gun against a bat even if its 10 vs 1.

warning shots AND maiming shots at limbs are expected and encouraged. completely different to how US laws work I know. shoot somebody in the kneecaps - perfectly acceptable. its what police do as well. they have the same binding policies as the rest of the plebs. deadly force as a concept isn't there. the law is pretty much defaulting to murder so increasing attempts to subdue are expected, with US equivalent of deadly force being last resort. basically shoot their legs out, work your way up if they keep at it. frustrated yet? welcome to CIVIL LAW countries. I so wish we had COMMON LAW courts but alas.. we don't.

hope this helps. ok (or rather barely adequate) gun laws as far as many places go, horrible laws concerning gun use all the way around.
    Last edited by tacosdelrio; 07-22-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Andyman and Panzer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tacosdelrio View Post
    very old thread but since people keep bumping it up and it shows on google, here for posterity for others.

Bulgaria is a MAY ISSUE country (I know, the dreaded words). Discretion of issuance is generally abused and guided by bias of the issuing body/person as there is no legal requirement for them do anything nor be accountable to anyone for telling you to pound it.

There are 2 types of permits; possession permit also known as purchase permit and carry permit. Independent of one another. This is further split by the type of gun one wants to get.

Long guns and handguns are treated differently. hunting rifles are very easy to get approved for and there are a lot of those. Handguns on the other hand are primarily for target sport and collecting purposes and carry permits are completely discretionary and typically issued as part of job requirements - certain security personnel etc. "self defense" is not a valid reason but it can be used as cause, especially if one can make a case you actually have active threats against you. Because of bias and general idiocy of young people (there is no gun culture there) , the younger you are the more you will be scrutinized, as there are no legal protections against that. Under 30 and wanting a carry permit.. good luck.

military rifles (think NFA stuff) is pretty much a no go except for pretty well established collectors with long track records.

ammunition is also controlled and cannot be bought freely without a possession permit, and its tied to the caliber of that gun. but not really enforced all that much. hollow point ammo is no bueno.

requirements are pretty straight forward. main points are
    - don't owe taxes/no tax evasion
    - pass a psychiatric evaluation (if you aren't insane you will be by the time you are done with it). this also implies you are fluent in the language. no translations.... its a live series of interviews.
    - be a citizen
    - have no past or pending disqualifying legal matters. roughly translates to don't be a felon. the process for obtaining that changed in 2017 to NICS like system so yay.

money involved isn't much at all compared to places like Germany, Ireland etc that try to keep people away with expensive permit system. the only cost is really the markup on the guns + the VAT.

no limit on the number of guns you can have. just need to check in with the powers to be before each purchase and get it approved. but once you get the ball rolling it gets easier for subsequent additions.

former military and law enforcement not on probationary hire are exempt from pretty much all of that feel warm inside nonsense.

The problem really comes in using your guns for purposes other than hunting game, collecting or sporting activities. Whatever god you may believe in, he better help you if you ever have to shoot somebody who is beating you in your own home with a crowbar. so basically, if you have to shoot someone, make sure nobody finds them..... that's the main reason guns aren't that popular here. they are legally useless. no castle doctrine, no stand your ground nothing. absolutely nothing! the law does have provisions for protecting life however the details are basically such that call for proportionate response.

you are attacked with a fist - use a fist yourself
    you are smashed with a bat - use a bat yourself
    they are shooting at you with an ak - well use an ak if you have it, if not next closest thing.

but don't you dare use a gun against a bat even if its 10 vs 1.

warning shots AND maiming shots at limbs are expected and encouraged. completely different to how US laws work I know. shoot somebody in the kneecaps - perfectly acceptable. its what police do as well. they have the same binding policies as the rest of the plebs. deadly force as a concept isn't there. the law is pretty much defaulting to murder so increasing attempts to subdue are expected, with US equivalent of deadly force being last resort. basically shoot their legs out, work your way up if they keep at it. frustrated yet? welcome to CIVIL LAW countries. I so wish we had COMMON LAW courts but alas.. we don't.

hope this helps. ok (or rather barely adequate) gun laws as far as many places go, horrible laws concerning gun use all the way around.
    Yep I live in B.G, it is utter lunacy here regards guns and rights. I have even contacted embassies, looked and looked to try and find some idea of gun rights and personal protection, NO ONE will tell you or inform you of anything regard where you stand, (Police just say, better hope it never happens). They were supposed to be looking into it, about a year ago to relax or change it to make it a little more sensible, but what came out of it no one seems to know, if anything. It's the Twilight zone here regards defense and guns, it really is.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE EXPERIENCE!

A further fascinating one here in B.G. is rules for Black powder guns, that is even funnier, Or NOT, You can buy without any checks or ticket any old copy or original pre 1900 pistol or rifle, sort of. say like a Sharps or a Remington 1863 remake. You can buy the firing caps, bullet molds, everything in full working condition. OK, but here is a catcher, you can't have black powder to fire them! You can buy fireworks ( black powder) but they say it's intended usage, well that don't fly, as you may have a full gun licence, NO, NO, makes no difference at all can't have it for use in your old guns. with a gun ticket you can get another ticket to reload and buy powder to reload, but NO Black powder. Some say it's because, B.P. is an explosive, well so is a firework isn't it, NO ticket needed there? For me, it seems as normal a madness or a twilight zone thing going on here; have these people who are the so called rules or law makers in reality escapees from some crazy house, as they don't seem to know the difference between and hammer a nail or bit of wood. No wonder the world is slowly being sucked into a BLACK HOLE OF MADNESS!
    Last edited by iceman47; 12-02-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I have a Irish FAC for rifles and shotguns, each EU country's respects the other laws. I have shot and possessed firearms in the UK, while not readily available ,my hunting buddys have pistol permits, the system is like NJ, NY, Mass etc. oh my Irish permits are reasonable and yearly. I have dual citizenship and family with hunting land.
    oh I got a few friends with handguns and no permit, they know folks who bring in ammo from the Continent and powder & primers, as reloading equipment is not permitted. but all my friends have single and progressive presses and dies, wonder where they got those!!!!!

hook up with a few local lads, do a bit of hunting you will soon learn the ropes
    Sprat- Gunco, Weaponsguild, all sig forums, K-98k forum
    Jacksprat - ar-15 forums
    Capt jack - gunboards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors