Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: K-Var Bulgarian 5.45 Barrels Out of Stock

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    478 times

K-Var Bulgarian 5.45 Barrels Out of Stock

Think they'll get some more in anytime soon? Just wondering if they occasionally run dry like this. I have heard rumblings about them moving away from bringing in the 5.45 stuff. Sorry to ask, but I hear they are kinda hard to reach and get some customer service.

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    IIRC they've run out of them 2 or 3 times in the past +-4 years or so, but they always seem to find some more in one of the warehouses...they could just be anticipating an early panic right now...wouldn't be surprised if when they "find" some they'll be up in price...
    scottyb likes this.
    Akforum member #234...

Member #
    Liked
    6484 times
    They pretty much only sell to the high bidder these days.
    needs moar AK

or beer

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Anyone have issues with K-Var 5.45 barrels being out of spec? I had trouble with mine and know of at least one more person whose bulgy barrel would not hold Zero. Could there be a quality control issue going on?

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    478 times
    I got one about 8 months ago. I have not installed it yet. I thought I was only going to do one 5.45 build, but I just got a SBR itch I need to scratch now. The barrel is getting cut down anyway, so if worse comes to worse I can just buy a US barrel to chop up, I suppose.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I have only been to the range once so far, but my K-Var barrel on a R-Guns kit and Recreator receiver shot very accurate and reliably.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    scottyb and akraider like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses1986 View Post
    Anyone have issues with K-Var 5.45 barrels being out of spec? I had trouble with mine and know of at least one more person whose bulgy barrel would not hold Zero. Could there be a quality control issue going on?
    As in flyers or what exactly do you mean a barrel will not hold zero??? Barrels unless bent by some idiot trying to install them, or same idiot fucking up the crown the barrel should send rounds in relatively the same place... Even then the rounds should still end up in the same area, just way off on a tangent compared to where a true barrel or crown would send it.. Now if the rifles sights or optic is not holding zero that’s different...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9072 times
    One thing I have noticed out of 5.45 bulgarian barrels is that they tend to have a lot of whip when warm. Nice hot barrel is gonna flex when hot. Some people have experienced it so bad that its not even on paper when really hot. Ive heard reports of people switching from bulgy barrels to the nitrate barrels with huge improvements.

Bulgarian manufacturing is generally high quality and have been for sometime now. I imagine there could be defective parts but one would need to inspect the rifle before blaming the barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Badinfluence74 View Post
    As in flyers or what exactly do you mean a barrel will not hold zero??? Barrels unless bent by some idiot trying to install them, or same idiot fucking up the crown the barrel should send rounds in relatively the same place... Even then the rounds should still end up in the same area, just way off on a tangent compared to where a true barrel or crown would send it.. Now if the rifles sights or optic is not holding zero that’s different...
    Not trashing K-Var barrels just asking cause I bumped into an issue with mine, and the guy I was talking about was told this by a reputable builder so I’m sure they know what they are saying.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses1986 View Post
    Not trashing K-Var barrels just asking cause I bumped into an issue with mine, and the guy I was talking about was told this by a reputable builder so I’m sure they know what they are saying.

When you say out of spec, what specifically are you referring to?
    Last edited by Badinfluence74; 01-15-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Kinda bummed, i missed a chance to get an arsenal 5.45 barrel on the cheap. I'll randomly search for them from time to time, most hits are from years ago but i found a fresh thread with six barrels at a great price. I registered for the forum but had to wait for authorization. Woke up this morning and they were all gone(probably now on GB for 3x the price)

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Badinfluence74 View Post
    When you say out of spec, what specifically are you referring to?
    I bought a Bulgarian barrel from K-var. I sent it (the barrel) with a Russian 1983 laminate kit to Two River Arms. TRA called me months later when they had built the gun. They stated that to get it (the rifle) to zero they had to push the front sight drum all the way in one direction. And IIRC, he said that the FSB was slightly canted too. This was to just get the rifle on paper. They asked if this was OK with me or they could pull my K-Var barrel and try and find "the sweet spot" to get the rifle to shoot zero without having to have the front sight drum all the way pushed to a certain side. I declined and they provided me with a U.S barrel...

They sent me back my K-Var barrel and I sold it on the files at a loss.

I contacted K-Var to ask for their opinion/refund if possible when I got the barrel back and they ignored me.

I don't build guns so I can't comment on the technical parts, just what I was told. You'd have to ask TRA for their experience with K-Var barrels as they told me they didn't like them. It surprised me as the barrel was around $300ish...

Here are photos I took of the returned barrel when I had it for sale on the files.

HXV4RfF.jpg
    4227blB.jpg
    zEYhnyJ.jpg
    Yilwjr5.jpg
    1pHt5i4.jpg
    Last edited by StuG_1944; 02-24-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    Moses1986 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3597 times
    So whats the best US barrel for a bulgy/russian pattern 74 build now?

eta: with current availability from a retailer, i.e. I know it might be the best but dont tell em to wait for an EG barrel to show up on the EE for $1000
    Last edited by wingnut308; 03-06-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StuG_1944 View Post
    I bought a Bulgarian barrel from K-var. I sent it (the barrel) with a Russian 1983 laminate kit to Two River Arms. TRA called me months later when they had built the gun. They stated that to get it (the rifle) to zero they had to push the front sight drum all the way in one direction. And IIRC, he said that the FSB was slightly canted too. This was to just get the rifle on paper. They asked if this was OK with me or they could pull my K-Var barrel and try and find "the sweet spot" to get the rifle to shoot zero without having to have the front sight drum all the way pushed to a certain side. I declined and they provided me with a U.S barrel...
    Normally I'd be skeptical that the builder messed it up, but TRA Is top notch. They've built quite a few rifles for me and I trust their expertise. I'd absolutely trust what they've said.

I contacted K-Var to ask for their opinion/refund if possible when I got the barrel back and they ignored me.
    That tells you all you need to know right there. Like Arsenal in Nevada, they don't stand behind what they sell. The owner is shady. He's the one who supported Harry Reid for senate and went on the akfiles in an attempt to defend his backstabbing of gun owners. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they're selling rejected parts.
    MPiKM-72, Moses1986 and StuG_1944 like this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    8111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    So whats the best US barrel for a bulgy/russian pattern 74 build now?

eta: with current availability from a retailer, i.e. I know it might be the best but dont tell em to wait for an EG barrel to show up on the EE for $1000
    akbuilder chrome lined. I only own one of his barrel, but it gauges new with my Soviet armorer gauges. I think the US barrels coming out of that shop will have the best attention to detail without cutting corners. I'd use one on a cut barrel Bulgy kit. I'm even considering one for a BFPU 1988 Russian 74. The one I have will be used for a short EG style SBR - that is the barrel in the photo.

Moses1986 likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors