Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Toney56
  • 1 Post By russian_bot_5791

Thread: Current SA93 Value

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Current SA93 Value

I've had my heart set on a SA93 for a while now. Just came across one for sale, new with all original furniture, case, papers etc. (no original box) for $1200. I know there will be additional work/costs in debanning it but is this a fair price?? I've seen posts that say you can find them for less than $1k but from years ago. Wondering if I should pull the trigger. Lmk thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    Welcome to the group!

These days finding that fairly rare rifle new in box with all original stuff is extremely rare. My feeling is $1200 is very reasonable for a collectible SA93.

That said, remember I said "collectible" meaning that do not change anything on that rifle that causes you to modify the original and not be able to return it to original as delivered. Any modifications (debanning) that cannot be undone will hurt your $1200 investment. As a collector I have to tell you that I have turned down some very rare rifles because the previous owner didn't understand the collectible value of these banned AK variants.

On the other hand, it would be your rifle and if you really don't care about us collectors ( ) you have the right to modify as desired within the law.

Member #
    Liked
    1393 times
    That's not terrible considering I bought one about 3 years ago for $1050. I debanned mine and there's a lot of grumbling on both sides of the fence on whether that's a terrible idea or not. I suppose it all depends on who's asking and who did the work. I can see a collector wanting to have a ban config and debanned version, so there will be a market for both IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Buy it, true copy of a type 3 ak!!
    In my area their going rate is $1800+

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all your input. You guys convinced me I'm going to get it. I am a little torn between keeping it original as a collectable since it's never been fired or throwing some bulgy wood furniture on it and totally converting. But I have to shoot it right?!?
    Last edited by 2guard87; 01-10-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Incorrect question

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I should add that I dont plan on ever reselling it. However I do have a collector bone in my body that enjoys vintage/originality. They just look so badass once they're converted. So at this point I'm truly torn.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4015 times
    I'd look at this as two basic choices - A) keep the gun original and unfired, or B) do a nice deban and enjoy it with pride at the range.

Do you plan to have a collecting specialty in post-ban neutered AKs and are you a regular shooter or plan to become one? If the answers are yes and no, choose A; if no and yes, choose B.

I know what I'd do - the post-ban SA93s in original form literally hurt my eyes and with very few exceptions see no point in owning guns I can't shoot - but that's just me.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I paid $900.00 at a lgs in Dec. I would have paid $1,200.00 for the extra goodies. I have no plans of converting mine. The original ones are getting fewer and fewer.

Member #
    Liked
    1099 times
    As I collector I want to add that every time I read of someone modifying a Bush1/clinton ban rifle I smile knowing that since there were a limited number of them brought into the land of shall not be infringed, and one less in original condition makes mine worth just a bit more. Just food for thought as again it will be your rifle and you have the right to enjoy it (with in the law of course )

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Who am I kidding I'm def going to be shooting it. Still not sure about converting at this point but theres no rush I suppose. Thanks for all the input guys

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I converted mine and proud that I did. Do what makes you happy, life’s to short to not enjoy YOUR rifle the way you want it.
    tnhick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    I would de-ban the Hell out of one of those if I had one. Seems like Bulgarian parts are starting to dry up a bit, but there are still some out there at the time of this post. I personally don't think there will ever be a robust collectors market for these rifles in their lame ban-era configurations. The main reason rifles like these are even valuable is because people want to de-ban them. Sure, there might be a small group of folks who want them in their ultra-goofy and neutered state, but I see them as an abomination, personally. Inside every dorky Bush-hole ban-era rifle there is a cool rifle yearning to be returned to it's natural, uncircumcised state.
    Toney56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1393 times
    Here's another way to look at it: Debanning will give you a wider range of appeal if you ever sold it while keeping it original will limit your potential purchasing market, but could likely result in a higher value eventually. Pros and cons both ways. I don't regret debanning mine. I shoot it occasionally, but she's more of a show piece and something I plan to hand down to my kids one day. The potential impact on value doesn't matter to me as it's not going anywhere. I'm a purist to a degree, but not that much, so take that how you will.

Sponsors