Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: for all you Arsenal owners or other AK owners with paint finish

R B

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

for all you Arsenal owners or other AK owners with paint finish

I've been a gun owner for almost my entire life, and own a variety of firearms of all types and brands, but I've never owned an AK. Well that's about to change as I ordered a new SAM 7SF-84 and should pick it up tomorrow. I've been doing as much research as possible on all the available AKs and from what I've heard the Arsenal SAM7 is almost universally though of very highly. Many criticize it's price, but praise it's quality. Regardless, I've made my decision.
    One thing that I don't like about the SAM7 and many other AKs is the paint finish. I realize that it has a Parkerized finish underneath, but I'm concerned about what I've heard about the fragile paint finish on top. I realize that Arsenal recommends CLP as one of the only cleaners that won't remove the paint, but I was just wondering what other more experienced Arsenal owners use that won't harm the paint.
    One thing that I've used on other firearms is Froglube. I know, you either love it or hate it, but for me so far it's been all good. Has anyone used Froglube on their AK, and specifically one with the paint finish such as Arsenal?
    I would really appreciate any and all recommendations and suggestions on what to use, as well as anyone's thought about using Froglube on an AK.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8432 times
    I would wait to judge the arsenal finish until your rifle shows up. In the past the arsenal finish has been less than stellar but the last arsenal I bought the finish was nice. But if you decide you don't like it there are plenty of other coatings to choose from that you can apply.

Welcome to the forum and pics when it shows up!

Member #
    Liked
    8081 times
    Dispite having a few Arsenals I can honestly say finish is something that I just don't worry about or even care about. I use CLP and Hopes just because I have that not for any other reason. I use my rifles and if they scratched it is what it is. To me its like worrying about the paint on a car that's used as a commuter car. Having said that I don't notice too many scratches or finish problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I clean both my Arsenals with frog lube. Never had any problems with it messing up my finish.

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    I think my Yugo M72 is the only non-painted AK I own. Never had an issue with something harming the paint other than magazines and good times. I do diesel baths for cleaning and it only enhances the finish.

Super Duper Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    382 times
    I'd have to strip it and paint it
    rt ds rt h
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Marketplace Rules
    Forum Rules

Member #
    Liked
    235 times
    My Arsenal has been fine with 2k rounds through it and it still looks new on the outside (exception being the safety wear mark).

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Much ado about nothing...
    Ram Rod likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ^^^ This. Why not use CLP as recommended and understand that the finish will wear with use, this is normal. These things were made for use, not necessarily for perfect looks.

R B

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You're probably right. I've always had this need to keep things looking like new for as long as possible. I've tried to get over it, but no luck.
    Seriously, I realize that things wear with use, but I've heard several stories about people with AKs with painted finishes who have had trouble with simply cleaning their rifles and coming away with the black paint on their cleaning rags. In some cases they probably didn't follow instructions and used an improper cleaner so it's really their own fault. But come on, at the prices they are charging for Arsenals these days ($1200-$1300 or more) it seems that they would use a more permanent finish than paint. Even though it has a Parkerized finish finish underneath which protects from corrosion, I still would like my firearms to look good too.
    Being new to AKs I was originally drawn to the Century C39V2 which has a beautiful finish, but after hearing so much about the possible lack of quality of the C39V2 I decided to go with Arsenal even though the finish on the Arsenal is paint. I'm not knocking the C39 as I realize there are many satisfied owners out there, I just didn't want to take a chance on being the one who had trouble. I figured that a reputation for quality was more important that just good looks.
    I will either use what Arsenal suggests, I believe it is CLP, or Froglube which I'm pretty sure should be safe to use. I've used Froglube before on everything from 1911s to my Tavor and AR and just about everything else, and so far it's been all good. I still feel that if Arsenal wants to present themselves as a premier builder of AKs and charge a premium price, then they should step up their game and use a more permanent finish than paint. Even though it's just cosmetic, there are an awful lot of gun owners that take pride in the firearms that they own and want them to look as good as they shoot.

Member #
    Liked
    1286 times
    I honestly don't know if there is much difference in the finish from the actual imports or the newer rifles from Arsenal Inc. I have an SLR-95 and I have an SLR-104FR. The SLR-95 has several thousand rounds down range while the SLR-104FR only has a few hundred. I take pride in the appearance of my firearms just like most folks. I tend to do very little (other than basic clean/rust prevent) on the outside. Thing is........not to wipe anything down or introduce chemicals to hot or warm surfaces. Now cleaning the bore should be done while the bore is still warm for the best effect.
    The barrel and gas tube smoked a lot on my SLR-95 whenever I shot more than one full mag through it for the longest time. It finally quit doing it....I don't know when. I figure the paint finish is now baked on good. My SLR-104FR doesn't smoke a whole lot.
    All in all, I'm going to agree with Flankenstein and the much ado about nothing. The true (Break Free) CLP is a pretty mild cleaner.
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Just use CLP and not worry about it. The whole Arsenal paint thing is overblown.
    Ram Rod likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I picked up a SAM7SF last week, the finish was very good.
    image.jpeg
    Evil Minds That Plot Destruction

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FADE 2 BLK View Post
    I picked up a SAM7SF last week, the finish was very good.
    Yes, yes they are.
    Last edited by 22many; 04-28-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3320 times
    Here ya go., from the horse's mouth>>

Slip 2000 offers non-toxic,...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors