NPZ 1P78 Scope Pics and initial impressions - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NPZ 1P78 Scope Pics and initial impressions

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Re: NPZ 1P78 Scope Pics and initial impressions

In dark conditions only. I would post some pics of the two diff. welds but I am by myself right now and no way to take pics.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Ok now I am torn between the PO3.5 and the 1P78... haha Seems the more I learn about these optics the more I change my mind.

I like the 1P but I really would want it to light up in the day time since thats when I would use it the most.
    I like the POSP 4x24 but I dont like how high and far back it would sit - I like that its illuminated.
    I like the PO3.5 because it costs the same as the 1P, and has a little more magnification and sits a little lower. I may be going with that one from Eastwave unless you want to separate from yours. I just wish it was illuminated...

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by BLindeye_03
    Ok now I am torn between the PO3.5 and the 1P78... haha Seems the more I learn about these optics the more I change my mind.

I like the 1P but I really would want it to light up in the day time since thats when I would use it the most.
    I like the POSP 4x24 but I dont like how high and far back it would sit - I like that its illuminated.
    I like the PO3.5 because it costs the same as the 1P, and has a little more magnification and sits a little lower. I may be going with that one from Eastwave unless you want to separate from yours. I just wish it was illuminated...
    Another great optic IMO, but heavy. Great glass too. I already sold mine a few months back on AR15.com. At least Eastwave carries them again. They were no where to be found for awhile. There is an illuminated version but I don't think they make or sell that one anymore.

If you mean daytime visible illumination - none of these have it. All can be seen at dusk conditions etc. All have good bold reticles and there is really no need for daytime illumination IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Miglan20
    Quote Originally Posted by BLindeye_03

Another great optic IMO, but heavy. Great glass too. I already sold mine a few months back on AR15.com. At least Eastwave carries them again. They were no where to be found for awhile. There is an illuminated version but I don't think they make or sell that one anymore.

If you mean daytime visible illumination - none of these have it. All can be seen at dusk conditions etc. All have good bold reticles and there is really no need for daytime illumination IMO.
    Cool man, thanks for all the info - its frustrating when you try to find out anything on these optics because not many people on the boards seem to have first hand knowledge with them. I just ordered the PO3.5x21 from EastWave and if its too bulky for me I am sure someone on here would buy it up quick. But hopefully ill love it and if not ill sell it and get the 1P78. Oh and EastWave said the ones they sell are illuminated. What kind of batteries do they take?

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Not sure on the batteries because mine was non-illuminated. Might ask TX-Zen as he has the illuminated one. Possibly too late, but make sure they send you the AK74 version. There is also an AKM version; it has BDC's out to 800m instead of 1000m on the 74 one. Also, I don't know if it is true with all of them but the illuminated reticle I have seen was thinner and did not have the three bold lines leading to the main reticle. Maybe a non-issue for you or not.

Other than the weight, I think you will really like it. It is a cool and unique optic. Post some pics and your impressions when you get it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I emailed them and they said it was for an ak (the mount), so Im not really sure they knew what I am asking. Its all good though, and I found out that it takes 123A batteries.

Ill post more when i get it - but I have a question, how does the mount attach? Do you slide it on from the front or from the rear and then turn that crank? I still need to read up on how to tighten the mount...before I get it .

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times

Most of the PO3.5x21P's I've seen imported here had reticles for the RPK-74.

Russian optics are always made to slide on from the rear, once it's on all the way then you rotate the throw lever to secure it. This is because upon recoil they will try to walk forward, and all the stop pins (or stop lips) on the mount clamps work by keeping the sight from going forward.

If the throw lever is excessively tight, or the sight is initially very hard to slide all the way on, be sure to adjust the throw lever timing on the center shaft. In general, there is either a removable retaining clip on the bottom that keeps the lever clocking set, or an adjustable castle nut (ala PSO-1) with a clamping block that is easily adjustable for tension without the need for disassemby.

These clamps are generally exceptionally durable and almost abuse-proof, but you can actually damage the clamp assembly if you try to force it without adjusting it first for the initial fitment, if the factory setting is way off from what your rail is made to handle. Howver, once you do it one time you are done unless you change rifles. Keep in mind that the mount must be stable and rock tight when mounted, with no wobble or wiggle, and that means all the way on (for accuracy sake) until the clamp assembly makes metal-to-metal contact and can go no farther forward.

Good luck to you!
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tantal
    Most of the PO3.5x21P's I've seen imported here had reticles for the RPK-74.

Russian optics are always made to slide on from the rear, once it's on all the way then you rotate the throw lever to secure it. This is because upon recoil they will try to walk forward, and all the stop pins (or stop lips) on the mount clamps work by keeping the sight from going forward.

If the throw lever is excessively tight, or the sight is initially very hard to slide all the way on, be sure to adjust the throw lever timing on the center shaft. In general, there is either a removable retaining clip on the bottom that keeps the lever clocking set, or an adjustable castle nut (ala PSO-1) with a clamping block that is easily adjustable for tension without the need for disassemby.

These clamps are generally exceptionally durable and almost abuse-proof, but you can actually damage the clamp assembly if you try to force it without adjusting it first for the initial fitment, if the factory setting is way off from what your rail is made to handle. Howver, once you do it one time you are done unless you change rifles. Keep in mind that the mount must be stable and rock tight when mounted, with no wobble or wiggle, and that means all the way on (for accuracy sake) until the clamp assembly makes metal-to-metal contact and can go no farther forward.

Good luck to you!
    I think I adjusted mine properly, it just needed a little bit of tightening. The mount didnt seem to move when when I shook the rifle or tried to see if it was loose at all. And as far as what the reticle is for, I believe there are two types, one for the rpk74 and the other for the ak74, well all I see on mine is 'ak74' - I have a thread up showing the image of what it looks like =).

Member #
    Liked
    89 times

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Miglan20
    Mounting a similar US optic like an ACOG/KV-04 is impractical and would probably result in an even higher weld and more weight.
    Your Kashtan looks sweet!

But the ACOG is no longer a pipe dream. Check out my thread in Practical.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

this kashtan looks awesome! how well does the flip up lens cap seem to work? does it seem strong or flimsy?

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by fearrainsdown
    this kashtan looks awesome! how well does the flip up lens cap seem to work? does it seem strong or flimsy?
    It is strong and tight with a ball detent. It stays where you put it.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

that's what i was hoping you'd say.. i gotta get me one of these..

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times

It is built strong, this is designed for military use not just civilian sporting. Not flinsy like the typical throwaway and replace rubber lens cover or anything. It is also kind of detent loaded, i.e. it snaps into place either open or closed. It also clicks when you rotate it, very well made IMHO.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

got just mine from Kalinka yesterday. and after a trip to the range today, it has already become my favorite scope. thats a big statement because i am very fond of my PO3.5x21. the thing is built tough just like Miglan20
    and Tantal said.
    I did notice that the flip up lens cover clicks when you rotate it BTW.
    I spent a few hours translating parts of the manual via an online cyrillic keyboard and an online translator that i could copy and paste into. it turns out the lens cap doubles as a sunshield that can be rotated at any angle to block glare!! but i also think the rotation feature would also keep a flipped up cover from breaking off if it took a direct hit from the side. it would simply rotate and click to the next position.
    I also translated the pages with instructions on how to use the reticle as a range estimator. i wrote some notes and examples to share with others.

EX. for height

EX. for width

i can use the ballistic table that came with my PO3.5x21 to learn my
    "hold offs" for 5.45 caliber since the KASHTAN chevron is at 400M. there is no crosshair for anything closer. this chart has hold offs (in centimeters) for an AK-74 and an RPK-74 scoped and zeroed at 400m

i have to say that i really like this scope. when i first took it out of the bag and looked through it i was disappointed. My PO3.5x21 is ultra clear when you look through it and i was expecting this to look that way, but it doesnt, so my initial impression was that it was unclear and therefore crap.. was i ever wrong. when you look through it, it has a very slight yellow tint. not a tint like a NIT-A and not a tint like a Kobra. just a very faint yellow tint. you forget you see it after a second. BUT it GREATLY helps reduce glare and eyestrain, and it GREATLY helps with image sharpness.. i want to compare it to looking through shooters glasses. same effect but not nearly as yellow.
    also the image sharpness and clarity is much better with this one in lower light conditions as opposed to the PO3.5x21.
    Miglan20's post, and comparison to the PO, had a lot to do with me trying this scope, and im glad i did.
    i cant say enough about how much i like this thing..

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Thanks for your hard work and the calculations. I knew it was a range estimator, but did not know how it worked. Awesome!!!

I am really glad you like it. It is a great scope, and my favorite as an all around optic.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors