New rear trunnion mount for AK's avail soon!!UPDATE!!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

New rear trunnion mount for AK's avail soon!!UPDATE!!

Wasnt really sure where to post this so I figured I'd start here.

Hello everyone! Hereís an update for you all.

I first have to thank member deth502 from Weaponsguild. Without whose help I would NEVER have been able to realize these designs. Youíre the BEST!! :-*

For quite some time now, Iíve had a few designs for a couple of new products that Iíve wanted made, and after a long time searching for a machinist that understands gun talk, Iím happy to say the prototype stage of design #1 is finishing up nicely. Beta testing is beginning shortly, and Iím now announcing that these will be put into production soon (I will be contacting the sight owner when they are ready for sale)This announcement is to gauge how many I need to produce in the first production run.

Just to state, I AM NOT TAKING PRE-ORDERS, OR TAKING ANY PAYMENTS AT THIS TIME! JUST JUDGING HOW MANY WOULD WANT ONE, SO I KNOW HOW MANY TO HAVE MADE IN THE FIRST PRODUCTION RUN. FINAL PRICE WILL BE DETERMINED.
    I'll be posting this on a few other boards as well.

Please put a reply to the post if youíre interested in this new piece of gear, and Iíll be sure to contact you when the production run is done.

Hereís the info, and a few pics.
    This was proof of concept, original idea with my AR A2 BUIS mounted. Some might remember the post from here:

This is what it looks like.
    Rear Trunnion Rail Mount.

This ones a little blurry but you get the idea.

This new design works with the AK47 rifle platform.
    It mounts SOLIDLY to the rear trunnion with the existing rear screw. Doesnt wiggle or move.
    It works with the standard stocked rifle only, (and possibly certain other folder variants)
    This product will add 10.5 inches to the sight radius.
    This product also allows FULL RIFLE disassembly WITHOUT removal or loss of zero.
    When used with an AR15 Back up Iron Sight, you now have a rear peep sight, and all windage and elevation controls are now accomplished at the rear of the rifle. Added bonus is you can now compensate a bit if your rifle has a canted front sight!!
    With the addition of a small riser, you can mount smaller red dot optics as well.

The original idea came during a build I was doing a LONG time ago, and has been refined a bit. Final pricing is to be determined depending on the overall production costs, but Iíll be trying hard for well under $50 for the final price. I'll post as soon as I have the pricing worked out after the meeting with the CNC shop.

There are some other VERY COOL ideas getting prototyped soon, and will be announced shortly!!
    Thanks everyone!! And let me know what you think!!
    synweap223
    "A large caliber is good to have but its SHOT PLACEMENT that counts"

Custom etch templates available. Serials, SBR plates, custom images, etc. For ALL your etch needs contact [email protected]/

btr

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    Looks really interesting!

Could you post a pic of an assembled rifle with the rail and sight mounted?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Sure thing and very soon! Prototypes will be mailed to me shortly, and I'll take a few pics mounted up proper when I recieve them!!

I designed these to direct mount right into the slot of the stock rear trunnion, so the topcover wobble has absolutely no effect on the zero. Plus it gives the user the ability to choose what backup sight they want to use as well.

Its designed to work only with rifles with rear trunnions with tails. Like these:

That would include Romy wire sidefolders, some German variants as well.

You could also use a riser mount with this and hook up a Jpoint or Burris Firesight at the rear of the rifle as well.

For the guys with folders, theres other options out there. This is just one for guys with standard stocks.

Custom etch templates available. Serials, SBR plates, custom images, etc. For ALL your etch needs contact [email protected]/

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    very few options for folders - they are all for tang guys.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Thats the design!! You folder guys do have other options though. Like the new Tech Sites. But you already knew that, didnt you??

PS

Romy folders, and E. German folder owners. This mini rail design works with your rifles as well.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    Sir, you are a genius. Your design is deceptively simple!

The best part is it would work perfectly with any Romanian , East German, or Polish bolt-on folder, or the Ace folder with the external block.

What do you anticipate the price range to be, and
    will any standard AR-15 rear sight be in the proper sight plane with the AK front sight?
    "I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Trying super hard to keep the costs well under $50. Still shopping for a CNC shop that can do it cheap enough. Just spoke with one. You dont want to know their minimum. :shock:

The sight plane was set a hair LOWER than the stock AK sight, so you can even adjust the front post a bit lower in the ears for a more centered front sight post. The original measurements were obtained with my chopped carry handle BUIS, so yes, its set according to stock A2 measurements. But if you're using an A2 style BUIS, that really doesnt matter much does it? The elevation and windage adjustments will allow you to compensate however you wish.

Working out details for the slight variations in slot width, and compensating the dimensions accordingly so that it will work across ALL AK platforms/countries of origin.

Yes, its like a glove in the Romy's I've tried, as well as Tantals, and as for folders, its Romy, E. German,Polish Bolt on, and ACE with external block for stamped recievers. You're on the money.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    I can't say enough how impressed I am with the simple genius of that design.

I would try sending your stuff to cncwarrior.com, it looks to be relatively simple and I bet he could do it for well under $50 a part. Madmachinist over at uzitalk.com is another guy who does small production parts runs.

My only comment would be that you may want to make it like a short chunk of picatinney rail.
    "I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Dawg180. Those are teaser pics of the prototypes , before the slots in the picatinny rail were cut! LOL!

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll contact them Monday and see what they have to say.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Simply AWSEOME! Bravo Sir! Looks VERY well done indeed!

ETA: From the way it looks, it should work with the VLTOR M4 stock adapter.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Man, If I could only get my hands on a 3D Printer & a C&C machine, I would be dangerous. I already have the 3D drawing software at my disposal.

Also you might want to check out the 3D printer option , It would be making the part out of plastic, (Don't know what types of plastic are used and I don't know how durable they are), but I'm sure they would knock a lot of the production cost down. If a quality plastic could be field trialed and tested and passed you could (in theroy) produce more at a cheaper per unit cost.
    Just a little brain fart.
    (If you don't know, a 3D printer is able to make plastic prototype/model versions of parts before a company goes into production with the part. It's a quick & dirty way of having something your client can hold in their hand instead of looking at a complex drawing. It helps get the idea across the table a little faster.)

I'm excited to see more pics and test results.
    Thanks for sharing with us and taking the time to post the pics and reviews.
    AK-47, it is the sword of the common man.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Plastic is great for a lot of things, but I wouldn't want it for this application.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Let me know when your ready to sell them. Might even take a couple.
    Paranoia is more than a personality trait, it's a survival skill.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Just a quick update:

I have attempted contacting a couple of shops to get the production run of these started. Out of 4 shops I called upon, only one took the time and contacted me back. I'm VERY glad he did. I've done business with his business,(as have many here as well) and I'm looking forward to a great relationship with him.

I am in talks right now, and think (rather KNOW) I have found a QUALITY shop to produce these. We will be going over the numbers hopefully soon, and I'll post shortly after what they will be going for.

To boot, his shop is well known here for quality work. And the owner said "Those look cool" so he seems to like the ideas. I'll announce the shop shortly as well once all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed. I'm pretty sure everyone will like!!

I'll update again soon!!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Interesting
    TheAKFORUM Member #590

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors