Why are thermal scopes so expensive?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SPrada
  • 1 Post By 10Gauge
  • 1 Post By Kalashnikov-kid
  • 1 Post By BobtheButcher

Thread: Why are thermal scopes so expensive?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Why are thermal scopes so expensive?

Night vision has come down in price considerably over time, but thermal has stayed pretty high. What is it about thermal scope that keeps it high? Is there a lot of rare earth components, patents,....?
    Last edited by SPrada; 05-12-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    Mullo98 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16729 times
    Still relatively new tech.

NV has been around for a long time. You can get thermal to mess around with for a few hundred bucks as a smartphone attachment, believe it or not. If you're going to use it any serious manner, you'd probably need a business use for it to support it.
    Mullo98 likes this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    9496 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SPrada View Post
    Night vision has come down in price considerably over time, but thermal has stayed pretty high. What is it about thermal that keeps it high? Is there a lot of rare earth components, patents,....?
    Good night vision is about the same cost as thermal. Crappy night vision is generally available, but it's also damn near useless.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

ęDaedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Crappy thermal beats the hell outta Good Night vision FOR TARGETING. Thermal SUCKS for travel/ movement and general night time hands free activities. BOTH have their place. FLIR makes a GREAT entry level unit the PTS233 for about $1600-1800. For shooting things in the dark (or day!!) thermal can't be beat. Night vision also requires a way to target (Laser aiming, Red Dot that is NV compatible ) and in low light a IR light source to help see the target. Thermal is typically a ready mount device with choice of reticles (or not). For hard core users you need BOTH, but for occasional night shooting I would buy a decent $1800-2500 thermal unit before I would spend the same money on IR. (I have BOTH PVS-14 L3 tube and a Pulsar Trail QX50 for what its worth) I drive and walk/navigate with the IR. I shoot with the Thermal.
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4592 times
    Yotes n hawgs = thermal worth it
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Thermal is a much more complicated, and newer, technology that is doing more than Night Vision. Thermal devices are taking non-visible inputs and turning it into a visible one, while Night Vision is just enhancing existing visible light.

I'm sure that in another 10 years Thermal might become cheaper, but right now its still relatively new and its niche enough that there simply isn't much demand to cause prices to come down.
    scottyb likes this.

Sponsors