1P78 kashtan sight glow

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

1P78 kashtan sight glow

I just received an older 1p78 kashtan sight. As excited as I am, the tritium has long since lost its shine. How would I replace it? It looks like there's only one suitable screw, but I'd rather not jump into it without knowing. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12977 times
    I have one as well, but the tritium is still fine. There were several people on here that re-animated the older Soviet copy of the British SUIT sight by removing the screw and plate on the side, and replacing the tritium vial. I have done 2 British SUIT sights, so it can be done, you just need to find out where the tritium was inserted, and if you can get to the vial.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    That's what I'm trying to find. If anyone knows where to find this vial so I can replace it, I'd be grateful if they could tell me where to find it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My optic is just at ten years old and I’m having similar issues. I had started a thread on the other sight that has been deleted. I had reached out to kalinka, who said they couldn’t help. One of the members, tx-zen had said that he was reaching out to some other folks across the ocean, but I have never heard back.

What I do know, is that the larger screw located at 11oclock is not it. I think he (to-zen) had unscrewed it and said there was no vial in there, nor would the reticle light up when he shined a light there. Looking at diagrams, I was unable to figure it out. I did look into mine from the objective lense and saw a dull glow at 5oclock (ish). There is a small screw that looks like it may be near that but I don’t have the Cajone’s to start unscrewing things and potentially wrecking the sight.

I was was able to find some tritium vials from Hong Kong, so as soon as I can figure out where they go I’ll be all set, and if I do I will share here as well.

It would be nice if someone could figure it out.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I think I saw that thread. I ended up messaging TX-Zen so I'll see if I get a reply.
    As for screws, did we ever figure out what that screw between the two adjustment turrets was? If it's not that then I have no clue...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    From what I gathered, we really didn’t know. Even with a light shining in the hole, it did not light up the reticle.

Have you looked through the objective lense in lense in a dark room and noticed and type of glow o the lower have of the scope? I looked and can swear that I saw something. If you do, and if it’s in the same area, there is a very small screw that kind of lines up with that area. My best guess is that could be it.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    No one tried to contact the manufacturer?

Member #
    Liked
    1919 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnderson View Post
    That's what I'm trying to find. If anyone knows where to find this vial so I can replace it, I'd be grateful if they could tell me where to find it.
    I replaced an Israeli suit vial as well. I just pulled it out, measured it, and got one close in size on ebay. They left a lot of room for fitment and used what appears to be somethibg resembling drywall compound. Added benefit is you have color options, but I found boring old green works good.
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I purchased my vials from the a site called mixglo, out of Taiwan. It wasn’t too expensive and they were packaged good and arrived in about ten days.

https://www.mixglo.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

the hard part is guessing the size, but I bought 2x6mm as that size is used in the rakers and other optics from what I was told.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jey0803 View Post

Have you looked through the objective lense in lense in a dark room and noticed and type of glow o the lower have of the scope? I looked and can swear that I saw something. If you do, and if it’s in the same area, there is a very small screw that kind of lines up with that area. My best guess is that could be it.
    I looked but haven't seen anything at the bottom. It's extremely dim when I see it through the reticule at all. I can't even see anything with night vision.

Where do you see yours on the sight? I'll check mine.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DOJO View Post
    No one tried to contact the manufacturer?
    I personally haven't, simply thinking there's not much chance they'll be able to offer any help. I'll try sending an email though.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If I remember correctly, I want to say it was between three and five o’clock, as you are looking at the objective end.

I will check again when I get back home next week.

Sponsors