Looking for Opinions for a New Scope

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Looking for Opinions for a New Scope

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a magnified optic for my AK. I plan to use it as my mid-distance rifle: 0-300 yards.

So you have a full picture of my rifle it's a Century Arms C39 Sporter Rifle. It has been heavily modified externally, internally, not too much has changed. However, the top cover now has a rail on it. And I just had the scope adapter installed on the side of the receiver.

I originally wanted the Primary Arms scope but they're sold out and they won't have a new one any time soon. I also considered the ACOG, but that's $1,000 and to be honest, that's a bit much to me. So, I've come to the Russian brand of AK scopes: PSOPs.

I'd like to know what you think of them: have you used them before? Do you have any experience with them? Are they any good? Is the glass clear? Is the BDC functional, was it difficult to zero? Is it built well? Do you think I should forget this line of scopes altogether? Is the illumination any good? Could it be brighter? How long do the batteries last?

I've narrowed it down to these specific models:

POSP 8x42 w/ Black Finish, 400 Meter Rangefinder Rifle Scope, AK Version

POSP 8x42 D VariPOSP w/ Independent Focus, Adjustable Illuminated Reticle and 1000 Meter Rangefinder Rifle Scope, AK Version

POSP 8x42 PRO w/ Black Finish, 1000 Meter Rangefinder

Do you think these will work? Or, should I go with a different model? There are many other models on that site so please let me know if you think another one may be better.

Once again, I appreciate your time and opinion.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I've used them all. All have worked and all were easy to zero. The 400 meter has the simunov reticle and works well with 7.62 x 39. I use it on my tabuk clone. The illumination can be seen in daylight, but to be honest, I've never needed it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Good. Excellent. Right, I know it's regulated for that caliber I just wanted to ensure it was accurate for it. I don't know much about the variant of AK. Good. Have you ever used it in darkness? Do you have any other opinions about it? Anything good, or bad? I'd love to know.

Thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4429 times
    Some would argue that an 8x fixed scope is overkill for an AK w/ 16" barrel. You'd probably be happier with a 1P3.5x21 (7.62x39 version) or something similar. Let the advice on russianoptics.net be your guide.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    54808 times
    I do like the finer adjustment on the PRO...great for precision shooting

The independent focus on the D VariPOSP is great, especially for those with failing vision, but it's oos.

I vote for the 8x42 PRO...given these three choices

Myself, I shoot with x6 and a 3-9 Vari
    Last edited by TRAAK's; 12-03-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: ETA
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    I like the 6x24 ,a little more magnification and no added weight .
    "Since the defense of our states and our country contemplates the militia fighting against organized armies of regular soldiers, then the argument of the gun-grabbers that regular citizens don't need assault weapons of the types designed for military use is clearly nonsense." The Liberty Tree

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Right, that's the exact model I'm planning on going with. The D model to be specific.

Okay. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsors