Muzzle Break

Thread: Muzzle Break

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Muzzle Break

I have owened a Romanian AK for many years and have just recently decided to do a few things to it. I've added a colapsable stock, railing system and a new hand grip. The problem is a muzzle break. The barrel is not threaded. A local gun smith told me that I can get it machined but this will cost a bit. A friend of mine told me that there are adaptors out there that can be clamped to the muzzle which will then take the muzzle break. So far i have found none online. Is this possible? If so, where do I look? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    The clamp on muzzle breaks usually aren't very durable, and end up flying off at one point or another. It'd be easier to thread the barrel (either by yourself or someone who essentially knows how to thread pipe) with a 14x1 LH die and TAT, assuming the end of your barrel hasn't been turned down too far.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxmojo View Post
    The clamp on muzzle breaks usually aren't very durable, and end up flying off at one point or another. It'd be easier to thread the barrel (either by yourself or someone who essentially knows how to thread pipe) with a 14x1 LH die and TAT, assuming the end of your barrel hasn't been turned down too far.
    Bummer!!! Just found several on Amazon. Mostly good reviews but this is still a scarry thought. What about a new barrel?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1139 times
    The barrel on most Romanians can be threaded to the standard 14x1mm left hand in a few minutes with little trouble. A new barrel would require the old one being pressed out, the new one pressed in, head spaced and pinned, then the gas hole drilled, gas block and then sight block installed and aligned.

Last I checked, Midway had the 14x1mm left hand die with thread alignment tool. The are not expensive even if you only use them once. On the other hand, replacing the barrel is expensive, not easy, and can result in other issues if not installed correctly.

Member #
    Liked
    958 times
    Drills and Taps - AK-Builder.com
    Those are what you will need. I agree with Indy, don't do a barrel replacement, it'll be much more of a hassle with more potential for things to go wrong.

Sponsors