Anyone here use the Vortex SPARC?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

Anyone here use the Vortex SPARC?

Up until now, I've been content with iron sights, but I'd like to get experience with a rds before I get totally old and my eyes start declining...

Aim Surplus is presently offering a combo package of the Vortex SPARC with the RS RL Mount (i.e.- Horse's micro mount) for $299.95, including shipping. I'm thinking that this could be a good way to get started with Red Dot sights, but only if the sight itself is quality. Since the Vortex SPARC is less than half the cost of an Aimpoint micro, should I expect half the durability? Half the waterproofness? Half the optical clarity? Or is this a case of a company (i.e.- Vortex) being able to nearly match the top of the pack (i.e.- Aimpoint) with a better value?

I'm not in a big hurry, so waiting and saving for an Aimpoint micro + RS mount is one option. Alternately, I've been spending some time reading about the PK01-V by BelOMO (probably to be purchased from Kalinka), and that looks interesting. I know that the PK01-V weighs around half a pound more than the RS RL Mount plus SPARC or Aimpoint (not desirable) but using an eastern bloc component does have its appeal, and the cost would be about the same as the Aim Surplus Vortex SPARC w/ RS RL Mount Package.

Anyone here used one of these products (or preferably used all three) and can speak from experience?

Whichever product I choose, it would be mounted on either an SGL-21 &/or Romy G, plus also may be tried on a Saiga .308. Clearly, historical authenticity is not much of a concern for me, just performance and durability on a shooter.

-otus
    “Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens... they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds." -Thomas Jefferson

Interested in / potentially buying:
    -1971 Romanian AK-pattern rifles
    -CZ 2075D RAMI & CZ 97BD pistols

Member #
    Liked
    451 times

Re: Anyone here use the Vortex SPARC?

If you can't afford an Aimpoint, the Sparc is a great choice. I like the doubler, the dot is crisp, the brightness control is good and the whole package is very rugged. It auto powers down after 2hrs to save you battery power. My main complaint is that is can be a little finnicky to turn on. All-in-all it is a great scope for plinking and range time, though I would not want to trust my life to it.

я мог бы пить!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    89 times

Be aware that with the SPARC you will not be able to cowitness using the AKML. This is because the dot emitter is at the bottom of the tube.

If you are looking for a budget optic to start out with, I recommend you check out the Primary Arms combo (same idea as the sparc).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    Be aware that with the SPARC you will not be able to cowitness using the AKML. This is because the dot emitter is at the bottom of the tube.

If you are looking for a budget optic to start out with, I recommend you check out the Primary Arms combo (same idea as the sparc).

Hmm, lack of a co-witness is indeed a dealbreaker. Thanks, Horse, for your insight & quick response. Do you know of a vendor offering the Primary Arms combo with your mount as a package deal?

Doc Feelgood, your krink looks great! Thanks for your insight too.

I'll think this over, and just keep saving for now. Maybe if I think long enough, an Aimpoint will be within my budget!

-otus
    “Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens... they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds." -Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    513 times

On a site that mounts on the side rail, they slide right back off very quickly eliminating the need for co-witness if the dot fails. I agree that the Primary Arms micro dot is as good as any sub Aimpoint red dot, I have one mounted on the Ultimak rail, and it co-witnesses in that configuration. another budget red dot that seems to work as well as the PA dot is the Bushnell trs-25, it does the same thing as far as I can tell, and takes the heat while sitting on an Ultimak just like the PA dot. The dots I mentionerd are less then a hundred bucks, when I see a dot costs two or three hundred, I would just bite the bullet and go up to the Aimpoint if I was going to spend that much.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Member #
    Liked
    89 times

OP- Primary Arms is a vendor of ours, they should have everything you need.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

OP- Primary Arms is a vendor of ours, they should have everything you need.
    Ah, great. I had never looked at their forum or website prior to this discussion. Right now, they are out of their micro sights, but I'll definitely check back in a few weeks...

-otus

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Would you be opposed to the Strikefire/AKS combo? I've got one and love it. And while the SPARC is a wee smaller than the Strikefire, it isn't a huge differance.

Member #
    Liked
    1103 times

I love mine. I have it on a suppressed 9mm Ar. They are nice in the woods with low light also.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I use a SPARC with a quick detach ADM mount on the Krebs rail of my SSR-85. Love it.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

Quote Originally Posted by Omega7.62
    On a site that mounts on the side rail, they slide right back off very quickly eliminating the need for co-witness if the dot fails. I agree that the Primary Arms micro dot is as good as any sub Aimpoint red dot, I have one mounted on the Ultimak rail, and it co-witnesses in that configuration. another budget red dot that seems to work as well as the PA dot is the Bushnell trs-25, it does the same thing as far as I can tell, and takes the heat while sitting on an Ultimak just like the PA dot. The dots I mentionerd are less then a hundred bucks, when I see a dot costs two or three hundred, I would just bite the bullet and go up to the Aimpoint if I was going to spend that much.

The ability to take the side rail mount off quickly is great, but with a mount like Horse's, where so much thought has been put into making a low and bore-centric mount, it would be a shame to buy a red dot sight that does not co-witness. Plus, I am already in the habit of "dotting the i" with my iron sights, so putting a red dot just above the irons means that my point of aim stays the same no matter what.

As for GrantS' point about the strikefire + AKM, that looks like a great combo. However, at that point, one is close to the weight of a PK-01v, and that will likely be the first 30 mm option I try. While both of Horse's mounts look great to me, the AKML just seems to have the cleaner lines and overall advantage with respect to what I'm seeking.

-otus

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

oops, double-tap.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times

If I were you I would either wait for the PA, or save up a bit more and look long and hard for either a discontinued Aimpoint R-1 or a used H-1. Both will run you about $300 but will be much better than the PA in the long run and will offer you better cowitness than the PA. The PA barely does on most rifles (slightly thicker mount base vs Aimpoint) but at least it does where the SPARC does not.

Member #
    Liked
    439 times

If I were you I would either wait for the PA, or save up a bit more and look long and hard for either a discontinued Aimpoint R-1 or a used H-1.
    This pretty much settles it for me.

I'll stick to the buy-once, cry-once, quality-first option that usually works out best when it comes to any tool purchase. Aimpoint T-1/R-1/H-1 & AKML it will be, once I have the ducketts.

-otus

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I had a sparc go dim on me after a couple hundred rounds. Thought it was the battery so I replaced it but still the dot was too dim to see in the daylight.
    I've accomplished more than Obama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors