1P29 replacing tritium insert
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1P29 replacing tritium insert

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

1P29 replacing tritium insert

We got a little off topic in this thread: https://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/vie...55771&start=25 when we started discussing the tritium illumination on the 1P29. JoeMama, Tantal and FW200 had jumped in with excellent info on replacing the tritium and Mcnee had a possible suggestion on replacing the Russian tritium with something else maybe. The subject was really interesting so I took the advice and started a new thread here

My optic is actually still illuminated but just barely, I'd like to see if it's possible to brighten it up some. I compared it to my Rakurz which is also tritium illuminated and the Rakurz is way way brighter than the 1P29, makes me think the 1P29 might really be on it's last legs.

So any suggestions? Thanks again guys for the great idea's and information on the 1P29, I learned some interesting things. Thanks!

Z
    Снайперская винтовка Драгунова

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Re: 1P29 replacing tritium insert

Hell-lo?

Im the one that initially hijacked that thread. I think I deserve some of the credit there!
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Tag.

The way I see it, you have to replace the tritium with an OEM replacement if one exists (probably not), drill the existing plug and stick a commercially available vial in there, make a new one designed for the new vial, or maybe get fancy and have some sort of fiber optics pass through the plug?

I'll admit to knowing slightly less than nothing about these scopes, but that plug/vial assembly doesn't look hard to make at all, and I seem to remember someone on candlepower forums selling new vials...

Scott

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12537 times

If your willing to do the work to get the old bulb out, I can tell you where to get the vials.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

Quote Originally Posted by Inego Montoya
    Hell-lo?

Im the one that initially hijacked that thread. I think I deserve some of the credit there!

Lol, sorry Inego. I know your name and I didn't kill your father. I'm not prepared to die

Good ideas though, I am definitely willing to try and get the tritium brighter than it is.

I'd appreciate suggestions

Z

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12537 times

You might be able to drill out the bottom as was suggested in the other thread. This one will be harder than the Brit made scopes I think, but I also believe it can be done.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times

I missed quite a few posts on that other thread, hehe. I thought somebody wanted to drill a hole in the bottom of the sight! After looking over all the great info, recommendations and images guys posted on that other thread, my pathetic image below is certainly unecessary but I'll leave it anyways, hehe.

A lot of collectors did this procedure a few years ago when the 1P29 was much more commonly available, mostly on the commercial version (UPO) was being sold here as new and did not have an insert at all. A guy in Hong Kong or Taiwan on eBay was selling brand new mil-spec tritium inserts everyone was using, and it fit right in as original. I wish I remembered the size, I looked for quite some time tonight but my computer blew up a few times since then so I don't have the specs on record any longer. You can also still get them from NPZ if you know the right people to ask, or at least you could about a year to 18 months or so ago, but the retail was outrageous IMO and I think you had to buy them in quantity so I declined. I figured getting a great many of these into the country, all in one package, might not have been the best thing for me to try and do.

Getting back to this brightness thing, how many years are tritium inserts rated for? Some of these older sights are certainly very dim and likely might need a modern replacement, but the point on the marker is not supposed to be super bright, not originally anyways. If it's too bright in total darkness it will be a major distraction when your eyes get fully adjusted to the darkness, after about 30 minutes of viewing, and also causes lens blooming.

The exact brightness is also not just the strength of the insert, it also is purposely regulated by the length, diameter and design of the path or channel in which the illumination is presented to the aiming marker. I mention this because a few guys back then (who did the procedure) mentioned they were partly disappointed that it was not blazingly bright when they got done. I think some of those people must have thought it was gonna be so bright it would glow in the daytime like a red dot or something, hehe!

"...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

What I originally wanted to do was to just remake the assembly, it's not that complicated. Then insert a new tritium source or a LED light. But I never got round to it.

I'll repost this for completeness.
    The tritium is in this assembly here:

Remove the three screws and you can remove it:

As you can see, it's a lot harder to replace it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12537 times

Doug, Tritium lasts roughly ten years before it starts to go dim, but sometimes you can get a few more years out of them.
    FW200, there had to be a way for the Russians to actually insert the tritium bulb into that assembly, and I think it may have been from the bottom. It may have been that when the sights lost their glow, organizational maintenance removed the screws and just replaced the unit.
    Try and get a good pic of the bottom of the assembly, perhaps there was a plug of some sort that was press fitted.
    Regardless of how the vial went into it, we need to know the size, and color. The Tritium vials I used to re-animate my SUIT size measured 1.5x55mm and were about the size of a grain of rice.

I got the inserts from Bart here:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showth ... ium-Thread

As for color, I used red because thats what the Brits used, and red is better on the eyes in total darkness. Green is popular, and I installed two of them in another sight I have. Its a little brighter, but not much. I still have a fromt sight in green from Meprolight that is for a shotgun, and it "might" fit your scope if it can be put into the tube, but I really think that several small 1.5x55mm vials would work better.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

I tried the 1P29 last night and it actually works for very low light shooting, I took the optic itself for a walk around 1am down the street and checked out what I could see.

The tritium is definitely visible but it washes out immediately in any kind of back ground lighting, though you can usually see the tip of the reticule in black anyway. I think it's just as Tantal mentioned, it's intentionally not very bright. I wouldn't say it's difficult to use but if you're expecting ACOGness the 1P29 will look defective by comparison, but it's not. It's just really dim. It helps to actually use it at night when your night vision is acclimated and as I said that's why I never noticed it before during the day...it takes a minute to see it light up.

The insert itself appears to be sealed at the bottom by a rubber/caulk like substance and I'm pretty sure as you guys are suggesting that it's replenished from the bottom. Not sure what's under the caulk sealant, I'd have to cut it away to see if there's a cap or something else in there.

I'd love to hot rod it with 3 or 4 vials but I'm not sure now that I want to go cutting it up on a fishing trip when it seems like it will work as intended at night. I'll have to think about it for a bit because I would like it to be somewhat brighter, for me it's right on the lower edge of what I would prefer.

Z

Member #
    Liked
    89 times

Why not make a replacement lamp holder to hold a larger/more vials?
    Paint it to march with the hammered grey and your good to go.
    I'd draw it up for you.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma
    Doug, Tritium lasts roughly ten years before it starts to go dim, but sometimes you can get a few more years out of them.
    Thanks! Well, in that case, these are way overdue a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma
    It may have been that when the sights lost their glow, organizational maintenance removed the screws and just replaced the unit.
    I believe that is correct, the entire sealed assembly is replaced as a unit, that's likely why they are so expensive purchased direct from the factory. But if a guy dug that insert out, he could replace it like you also mentioned. I don't think they load it through that hole on the bottom, I wonder if it goes in from the front after you remove the cover plate. Does the actual housing cylinder not unscrew or unpin or disconnect in some way from the cover plate where they meet, to let the capsule come out from the front? I think that's why there is a protrusion in the middle of that plate on the front of the assembly. Well anyway, I'll mess with one of mine tonight or Monday and see what I figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    You certainly could, although the original vial housing is plenty large, in fact it was said to use one of the largest size vials on the market. You could even just take the original housing, cut the inner holder part off (if it does not disconnect in some way), and insert a custom made module consisting of vials and sealant/padding (for shock protection), then use the original cover plate. Like a battery compartment insert.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tantal
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    You certainly could, although the original vial housing is plenty large, in fact it was said to use one of the largest size vials on the market. You could even just take the original housing, cut the inner holder part off (if it does not disconnect in some way), and insert a custom made module consisting of vials and sealant/padding (for shock protection), then use the original cover plate. Like a battery compartment insert.
    As simple as that part looks, one (I ) could make a whole new one easily, exact duplicate or made to fit a current commercial vial, without mucking up an original...

Oh, and BUMP!

Scott

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

If it is possible, I'd definitely be interested in an exact duplicate but with a brighter source of tritium

Z

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times

Quote Originally Posted by mcnee229
    As simple as that part looks, one (I ) could make a whole new one easily, exact duplicate or made to fit a current commercial vial, without mucking up an original...
    Well, Scott, what are you waiting on then? I'll take 2, but the paint dang sure better match!
    K C A

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors