Bolt over bullet failure
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    192 times

Bolt over bullet failure

My 'new' SAR-3 is suffering bolt-over-bullet failures on the right hand feed column (sometimes the left, but mostly the right).

I appears the bolt looseness in the carrier aloows the bolt to 'skip' over the round, and sometimes it gouges/crushes the round pretty good.

The mags have NO play, maybe .5mm at most, and it looks like the bolt has an ever so slight edge on the lug to catch the right hand rounds.

I even tried swapping with a WASR-2 bolt carrier, but it won't even strip rounds at all with that one. I did find one WASR-2 bolt carrier taht it would work with, but it was a 'borrowed' one and not mine to keep.

The gun came with an SAR-3 hammer and a trigger that I did not recognize, plus a century arms disconnector. On some advice form another person I swapped out the trigger group with a Tapco G2 and it lessened the problem, but did not alleviate it.

Ther is a very small amoutn of room to raise the mag by shaving down the plate between the receiver and mag latch. I am a bit concerned as there looks to be very little room under the ejector on the left side and the mag may "top out" against it within a mm or two of raising it. I guess maybe the ejector coudl be bent up very slightly to accomodate this?

The seller has agreed to pay for reapirs to the gun (it was sold as working) but I am wondering if this is fixable or if I should just see about getting my money back. Any other solutions beyond thinning the plate that I am missing?

I figure once the gun is worked on by a gunsith, even if teh guy is going to foot the cost, the gun is permanently mine...thus my hesitation to have it worked on until I know my options.
    "I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you just bought it and can return it and get another I would do so. Toasters should toast, guns should shoot.
    Did you try grabbing the magazine at the floorplate and pulling back? Thus raising the top rear of the mag as far as any slop will allow. Any joy there?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    No, pulling the mag doesn't work. The seller keeps insisting he'll pay for repairs, but at this point I don't give a shit. I just want my money back.

My gunsmith is looking at it this week and if he says it isn't worth fixing (he is an honest guy about this stuff) back it will go.
    "I pledge allegiance to the ideal left us by men wiser than I, having the forethought to gift their children with the power of being free."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Did you buy this from a company or private sale?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    192 times
    Private sale. A well known person over at AR15.com witha lot of positive feedback. His ad listed it as working 100%. Obviously that was not the case.

My personal opinion is that it should be his problem to get it fixed once he returns my money. he sold me an item taht was not as described, and the real problem today is if the gunsmtih works on it and it still won't run who is going to be footing the bill for that, and who gets stuck with teh borken ass rifle?

Dawg

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg180
    Private sale.

My personal opinion is that it should be his problem to get it fixed once he returns my money. he sold me an item taht was not as described, and the real problem today is if the gunsmtih works on it and it still won't run who is going to be footing the bill for that, and who gets stuck with teh borken ass rifle?

Dawg
    That is a good opinion, and it would be the right thing for him to do by sending back your money and getting the rifle back. BUT, that is not always the case, especially when it comes to private sales. I have read too many stories about people buying something from AR15.com, and basically got took, with no reach around. I wouldn't trust anybody over there to buy from, even if they had 1000 positives feedbacks, and had a notorized letter from the Pope that they are good to deal with.

All I can say is good luck getting it resolved.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Generally, this problem is caused by a bad magazine latch.
    There can only be peace when they will start to love their children more than they hate us. -- Golda Meir

Sponsors