AK Trouble - Dust Cover Interfering With Bolt.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Averageman

Thread: AK Trouble - Dust Cover Interfering With Bolt.

Member #
    Liked
    579 times

AK Trouble - Dust Cover Interfering With Bolt.

Just put together a kit-built Egyptian on a 74U-LLC receiver.

Now the bolt it a little slow to cycle to begin with; presumably some paint (Alumahyde) got on the rails and is slowing down the carrier. No problem, I cycled the carrier a bunch of times until I started seeing improvement. Now you can pull the bolt to the rear, and it will go home to the chamber, albeit with little power or enthusiasm. I'm expecting this to improve with wear.

But when the dust cover goes on, this thing get really bad. Won't cycle at all. Pull the bolt back, it'll stop to the rear. Hit/push the charging handle forward, it'll drag forward a few inches, stop again. On the rare occasion it does actually complete a cycle, it does so in some pathetic slow-motion like a freakin' train pulling into the station.

Seems like the dust cover is actually coming in contact with the bolt carrier. and slowing it down, maybe? If I swap the ribbed Egyptian cover out with a ribbed Russian AKM cover, I get the same issue. Swap it out for a smooth Russian cover off my Saiga, it actually cycles okay, no worse that it would without the cover.

Anyone know for certain what the issue is here and how to fix it? I'd like to stick with the original Egyptian cover, but this is a mixmaster shooting gun. I'll swap covers if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Member #
    Liked
    10043 times
    Can you figure out where it's binding at? You could get away with filing the spring latch hole open a bit if it's binding at the rear.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

ęDaedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1049 times
    You should be able to see the scuff marks on the inside of the cover or the top of the carrier. That will tell you where the contact points.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2096 times
    Chalk it up, that will show you where it's binding quickly.
    Hootbro likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors