The AK Forum

Archer/Beryl Help/advice

Thread: Archer/Beryl Help/advice

Tags: None
  1. Tower06 said:

    Archer/Beryl Help/advice

    beryl1.jpgberyl2.jpgberyl3.jpg

    Posted this over on the other forum, but figured I would reach out here as well for some insight. Recently purchased another GenIII Archer off GB and picked it up today. Was sold as a "gunsmith special" due to the fact that it did not run consistently. The previous owner had the mag well and trunnion hogged out and installed a CANIS M4 adapter. Radom mags lock in, but wobble like crazy. Looking for options. Can the well and trunnion be built up with weld and remachined, or am I asking for trouble. Will post up some pics when I have a chance, but any help/suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by Tower06; 08-30-2018 at 05:03 PM.
     
  2. vlodpg said:
    I would message Ted Marshall for an opinion. Ted is my go to guy!
     
  3. ems said:
    I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks welding on the lugs is a good idea, and building the edges of the magazine well back up is gonna be a royal pain. You might be best served by rebuilding on a new receiver and front trunnion--you could probably use the trunnion from a tantal or ak74. Post some pics so people can get a better idea of how bad it is, but from the way you're describing it it sounds pretty gnarly.
     
  4. dnepr0mike's Avatar

    dnepr0mike said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ems View Post
    I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks welding on the lugs is a good idea, and building the edges of the magazine well back up is gonna be a royal pain. Y.
    I was going to say same thing. welding will anneal that area of the trunnion removing toughness and hardness. i'da say this is no go. personally i wouldn't risk it if i was going to shoot the gun.
    if wobble bothers you or the gun, maybe instead built up material on couple of mags in the portion that interacts with trunnion where metal was removed. easy enough work-around compared to welding trunnion.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 08-24-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    Need some gun-smithing, refinishing work done? Shoot me a PM.
    ShootersNook.com - your new place for some of your shooting needs.
     
  5. Tower06 said:
    Pics up
     
  6. Tower06 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by vlodpg View Post
    I would message Ted Marshall for an opinion. Ted is my go to guy!
    Would you happen to have contact info for him, or is he here in the forum?
     
  7. vlodpg said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tower06 View Post
    Would you happen to have contact info for him, or is he here in the forum?
    [email protected]
     
  8. JPurp said:
    While you are talking with Ted maybe he has a FB factory STANAG magwell adapter? He was working with FB for a few years. I think the Beryl with the STANAG adapter might have been one of his ideas. If you got lemons might as well try and make lemonade.
     
  9. vlodpg said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tower06 View Post
    Pics up
    OMG, Whoever did that should have their hands crushed with hammer & their dremel taken away.
     
  10. Tower06 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by vlodpg View Post
    OMG, Whoever did that should have their hands crushed with hammer & their dremel taken away.
    I knew it had some work done, but, yeah...it was a butchered. I'm sure I can get it to run with the mag adapter, but, aesthetically, its going to bother me. Initially though, may put in welds, re-machine, and then reheat treat. But not sure if that will work. In the least it needs a new receiver. Childers may be getting a call shortly.
     
  11. Visceral_Malice's Avatar

    Visceral_Malice said:
    The only semi-easy fix I can think of is to add some beads in the receiver in the crucial areas like the mag stabilizers on the rails and the dimples. Is it side to side wobble or front to back? Side to side would be much easier to fix.
     
  12. Tower06 said:
    Predominantly, side to side and sight with just a tiny forward and back movement, almost negligible. The side to side play is at an angle to the parallel of the receiver. Not sure if the I picture shows well, but the area on the trunnion the mag locks onto was dremeled as well. When I looked at it a few minutes ago...looks like the dremel work is only on the bottom of the mag locking position. There is some work to the bullet guide area as well. Will do a full disassembly when I have a moment and show some more pictures.
    Last edited by Tower06; 08-26-2018 at 06:54 AM.
     
  13. Visceral_Malice's Avatar

    Visceral_Malice said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tower06 View Post
    Predominantly, side to side and sight with just a tiny forward and back movement, almost negligible. The side to side play is at an angle to the parallel of the receiver. Not sure if the I picture shows well, but the area on the trunnion the mag locks onto was dremeled as well. When I looked at it a few minutes ago...looks like the dremel work is only on the bottom of the mag locking position. There is some work to the bullet guide area as well. Will do a full disassembly when I have a moment and show some more pictures.
    I can see that now. I would try what I said and build up the stabilizers and dimples a little to see if it helps. It can't hurt at this point. If the front locking slot on the trunnion isn't screwed up, you can always work with the latch too and make sure it sits right. I saw you were having feed issues too. If you can insert a mag and get a photo of it from the top of the receiver so we can see how it sits, it'll tell us if it's salvageable. If the mag height isn't right, there are only a few things that can fix that. The bullet guide could be the culprit too. More photos will definitely help. Just don't have the trunnion welded like everyone else said. You'll be looking at stress fractures really fast in the steel if you do.
     
  14. Tower06 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Malice View Post
    I can see that now. I would try what I said and build up the stabilizers and dimples a little to see if it helps. It can't hurt at this point. If the front locking slot on the trunnion isn't screwed up, you can always work with the latch too and make sure it sits right. I saw you were having feed issues too. If you can insert a mag and get a photo of it from the top of the receiver so we can see how it sits, it'll tell us if it's salvageable. If the mag height isn't right, there are only a few things that can fix that. The bullet guide could be the culprit too. More photos will definitely help. Just don't have the trunnion welded like everyone else said. You'll be looking at stress fractures really fast in the steel if you do.
    Will take some more photos this evening and post up. If welding is a no ho, next option is a donor Tantal trunnion. I know APEX has them, unless I find one here on the forum.
     
  15. Tower06 said:
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/I[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]MG]