Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MPiKM-72
  • 1 Post By BR7.62

Thread: Failure to go into battery

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Failure to go into battery

I have a new Palmetto State Armory AK-47 - I didn't get it out to the range until about a year after I bought it so it's out of warranty now and they haven't responded to my questions.

Seems like a nice, clean kit - magazines are very tight and only the plastic mags and about 1 in 3 steel mags will lock in - that's another issue though.

It feeds, chambers, extracts and ejects snapcaps just fine, which is why I didn't send it into warranty right away. When I did go to the range with live ammo, it would feed but the bolt wouldn't chamber the round all of the way - it remains about 1" from seating completely into battery. It CAN be forced past the "sticking" point, but it basically takes a hammer on the charging handle - we got one round to fire but the next did the same thing and stuck.

Chamber seems fine - rounds spin freely when inserted, brass and steel ammo both. Round seats all the way in so I don't think it's headspace issue.

Because snapcaps go into battery fine I suspected the extractor was biting on the rim of the live rounds or some such. I trimmed a couple turns off of the extractor spring so it's really soft, but it still won't chamber.

Any suggestions? I'm not seeing any bright metal in the receiver where the bolt is hanging up but maybe I'm missing something. The fact that snapcaps work flawlessly has me scratching my head.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5903 times
    Welcome to the forum. I'd take it to a local gunsmith to give it a going over.
    "When government takes away citizen's rights to bear arms it becomes citizen's duty to take away governments right to govern" ~ George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    1291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfoo View Post
    I have a new Palmetto State Armory AK-47 - I didn't get it out to the range until about a year after I bought it so it's out of warranty now and they haven't responded to my questions.

Seems like a nice, clean kit - magazines are very tight and only the plastic mags and about 1 in 3 steel mags will lock in - that's another issue though.

It feeds, chambers, extracts and ejects snapcaps just fine, which is why I didn't send it into warranty right away. When I did go to the range with live ammo, it would feed but the bolt wouldn't chamber the round all of the way - it remains about 1" from seating completely into battery. It CAN be forced past the "sticking" point, but it basically takes a hammer on the charging handle - we got one round to fire but the next did the same thing and stuck.

Chamber seems fine - rounds spin freely when inserted, brass and steel ammo both. Round seats all the way in so I don't think it's headspace issue.

Because snapcaps go into battery fine I suspected the extractor was biting on the rim of the live rounds or some such. I trimmed a couple turns off of the extractor spring so it's really soft, but it still won't chamber.

Any suggestions? I'm not seeing any bright metal in the receiver where the bolt is hanging up but maybe I'm missing something. The fact that snapcaps work flawlessly has me scratching my head.
    Have you checked headspace?
    "Cause bitches don't like to be slapped on the cheek. Yugos need real men to shoot them who know how to hold them tight"
    -daefash

"Only a woman's glance strikes harder than an assault rifle."
    -
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have go/no-go gauges - I have put both snapcaps and live rounds in the naked chamber and they sit at the same place and spin freely.

Gunsmith is the next step yeah - just wanted to check if I was missing something obvious.

Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    6298 times
    Try this -remove the bolt and carrier, then manually insert a round under the extractor so the extractor will hold the round in place. Then, slowly and carefully, install the bolt/carrier in the receiver and see if it will chamber the round that already has the extractor on it.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    An inch shy of the chamber? That's a ton, has to be hanging up on something that only happens under full force operation. I hear ya on the snap caps, but unfortunately hand cycling doesn't prove a whole lot one way or the other.
    *** Just Your Average Jewish Redneck ***
    Participant in Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter, CMP w/M1 Garand, IDPA
    Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer ... pays for my addiction, maybe breaking even?

Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Given the problem with some mags even inserting, maybe the round isn't held at the right angle to feed, once things recoil from a round fired
    *** Just Your Average Jewish Redneck ***
    Participant in Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter, CMP w/M1 Garand, IDPA
    Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer ... pays for my addiction, maybe breaking even?

Member #
    Liked
    4414 times
    w/ a round in the chamber can you put just the bolt w/ no carrier into battery?
    it sounds like it cycles fine w/ no ammo or anything so it cant be the turning guide angle on the bolt.
    if headspace is ok it almmost seems like something would have to be out concentricity or level w/ the bore.
    or if the top lug on the bolt had a funny relation w/ the slot in the carrier?
    do you have any surplus carriers you could try to rule that out?
    JeepFan likes this.
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times
    Welcome to the group!

If it is stopping one inch from battery, the major hang up could be a mag sitting too high. Check to see if with a mag inserted it hangs up on the mag when slowly cycling by hand.

Member #
    Liked
    4768 times
    Welcome to the forum.

I would try to identify the problem one part at time through inspection and elimination. I would also not do any more fixes (cutting spring coils etc.) as they might make the issue worse or create another problem.

Are you new to AKs? Do you have any idea how they function? Do you have another AK to compare it to?

Please do not take the above as being a jerk. I'd be willing to bet you can get answers here. Speaking from experience the members here are very helpful and can point you in the right direction.

From what you posted, even though it is out of warranty I'd make it a hobby to call and email PSA until I got an answer as it is basically a nonfunctioning rifle as purchased.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    do you have any surplus carriers you could try to rule that out?
    Yeah, borrow a buddy's BCG and see what happens.

Sponsors