Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bulgarian '74 Soup Sandwich.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times

Bulgarian '74 Soup Sandwich.

Need help from the wizards in here. Yet another '74 situation. I've mentioned this in here before and I'm finally getting around to posting it.

By the looks of the whole "Troubleshooting" section there are regular issues w/74's in here, especially Bulgies.

I got this during one of my "contractor rich" online buying binges around 10 years ago and it sat unfired for a few years until I gave it to the wife(I wasn't married when I bought it). I knew she'd really appreciate that sweet, cap-gun like recoil 74's deliver, and she did... when the rifle ran properly, which was almost never. As soon as we got it on the range it started acting up. I suspect it's a Waffen build.

As stated, I know this has been presented before, but I'm providing photos so as this thread may be redundant, perhaps the images can better assist members w/these seemingly common AK-74 problems in the future.

Extraction Failures. The casing often barely leaves the chamber.

015.JPG

Extraction/Ejection Failures.

012.JPG

020.JPG

Ejection Failure. As you can see the following round is on the feed ramp.

013.JPG

Not sure if this was an extraction failure or if the spent casing failed to eject and prevented the following round to feed.

014.JPG

Of note is that whenever the weapon is rapid fired, there's never a problem. She's been running Red Army Standard and 7n6. Mags are all (10) and (21). I seriously doubt it's a mag or ammo issue.

Any advice where to begin is greatly appreciated. It's been to 2 gunsmiths already to absolutely no avail. I don't think they were "AK guys."

Also- There's peening on the bolt carrier.
    Last edited by YankeeZulu; 02-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    Peening...

004.JPG

003.JPG

I guess this would be considered a failure to eject. The casing went left and got wedged between the receiver and the dust cover. This has happened a few times.

017.JPG

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    ...Obviously, I'd rather not have to replace the receiver and do a rebuild but I guess the BCG and some internals(hammer?) are probably in order. Any tips?

001.JPG
    Last edited by YankeeZulu; 02-04-2018 at 02:40 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    You have quite an array of problems there. Here's some things to look at: is your trigger guard/mag catch riveted in properly? Do mags fit snug? When seated are the mags canted in any way? Is your extractor in good order? How about the ejector rail? Could it be too long or could it have been trimmed too small? Are you running a buffer? Is your gas tube seated properly? And finally how's your headspace?

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    I'm definitely going to have to replace the bolt carrier as it's been thoroughly peened. Any recommendations on a high quality one is greatly appreciated. I'm guessing the hammer may have to go too.

The last gunsmith it went to replaced a rivet at the rear trunion citing that the geometry of the receiver could be off. You can see that work in post #3's photo where the finish has been worn of near the stock. It had no effect. I forgot to mention- Accuracy is crap and rounds were keyholing at 100yds so he also checked the barrel to see if it was 5.56mm. Apparently Waffen Works would do this to some of their builds. That was fine. I assume he checked headspace but I'll recheck it.

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Check APEX, Copes and K-Var for bolt and carrier. They come up for sale here quite a bit. If it were mine…. I'd buy a Childer's receiver and rebuild it or have it rebuilt. The peening could be headspace/over gassing and the ejection problems are the worst I've seen. Be sure to check all those things I suggested though. Those are areas that can cause the cause the extraction/ejection problems as they affect how the carrier travels back and forth and the mag catch/trigger guard improperly installed can cause feeding/pooping issues.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    Was looking at one of these if I have to do a rebuild.

ReCreator Blanks AK74 AK47 blank receiver shells 80 percent

Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    That'll work just fine. Rebuilding it is probably the best way to go.

ems

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I'd say tear it down and rebuild it, but there's nothing seriously wrong with your carrier. Just dress up the mushrooming/peening with a file and fix your hammer. It's pretty common with US made hammers (G2, and apparently some of the century ones because a SAR-1 I just picked up has some peening to the carrier tail from the awful fcg that was in it) due to geometry differences. You can "tune" the hammer with a little filing to be closer to a surplus hammer and be good to go. I kind of like to use surplus fcg parts in my rifles (US mags for 922r of course ) lol

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3348 times
    I would not bother replacing the bolt carrier. Clean up the peening and monitor any further metal deformation.

It appears you have an ejector rail problem or possibly an extractor . Extractors are pretty straight forward to replace.

Create some dummy rounds or in a safe place you remove the receiver cover and cycle rounds as you observe the extraction and the extractor rail contact to the extracted case rim etc.
    It could be a short extractor rail, slightly bulged receiver in that area that allows the carrier to move away from the extractor. Check the side to sude clearance on the upper rail in front to back to see if there is any bulging.
    Probably not an issue but observe if the carrier has any horixontal movement cause by the gas tube/blocjk that is pulling the carrier and bolt to the right etc.
    JeepFan, corpsman5 and Fiorentino like this.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    Update:

Alright gents, I'm finally going to push to close this out in earnest before I go on to the next loose end(1911 restoration/upgrade). I told myself I'd have it done by the end of this year but life gets in the way. As long as I get it started before 01JAN19 I'll be happy w/myself. As suggested, I'm replacing the receiver and going w/a complete rebuild. The obvious main contenders for the replacement are Childers and Recreator. Childers doesn't list a sidefolder '74 variant on their site but they told me to give them a call and they can get it done. Recreator has them in stock. I've read some good and bad reviews on them both. I'm going to dress up the bolt carrier and probably replace the hammer too.

Any input on Childers/Recreator from the resident wizards?

...And I'd like to humbly thank all those who have assisted here.

Member #
    Liked
    4416 times
    i would go w/ recreator.
    not really sure what youll gain though.
    been thousands of builds on nds and it looks like the front trunnion is in there correctly.
    JeepFan and MPiKM-72 like this.
    not taking new work

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    There does seem to be more thumbs-up out there for Recreator. Cheers.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2086 times
    Spoke w/Recreator on the phone. Before ordering the receiver I'm going to have to gently remove the rear trunion rivets to see what the hole sizes in the trunion itself are... 4.5mm or 5.5mm. I'm no gunsmith but it looks pretty easy, and a rep at Recreator gave me step-by-step directions. I'm basically just going to bore them out starting w/a much smaller diameter drill bit on a press and widen the tap from there. I have access to a pretty comprehensive metal fab and machine shop so tooling won't be a problem. FWIW he says it's probably a commercial style receiver as opposed to military, the new one I order will change that.

Before I do this, tomorrow I'm going to carefully run down AK's suggestion a bit more and manually cycle the weapon w/a snap-cap to see about the extractor and ejector. I did it briefly w/a live round on the range a while back but I might need more time w/it here. I'm almost hoping that it turns out to be a lost cause because I'm actually looking forward to tearing into this thing and learning a bit about this level of AK work. Perhaps a build is now in the offing.

And for the record, the cat I dealt w/ at Recreator was SUPER cool. They seem like a top notch outfit that really love what they do and really love helping AK shooters out.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3348 times
    ^^^^ Kind of confusing.
    Commercial receiver?
    4.5 vs 5.5mm generally refers to the stock pivot pin size vs the trunnion rivets?
    I' m co fused by the post above?
    MPiKM-72 and corpsman5 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors