The AK Forum

Bulgarian AK-74 possible headspace issue

Thread: Bulgarian AK-74 possible headspace issue

Tags: None

awag1000 said:
    These are the cases in order of which I fired them(I know there is two number twos for the case mouth).

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by awag1000; 01-22-2018 at 04:58 PM.

BR7.62 said:
    that got weirder in hurry.
    if your bullet got stuck in the rifling it almost sounds like there isnt enough throat.
    that would for sure cause high pressure.
    if you chamber a round and extract it is there marks on the bullet from the lands?
    there should be a jump to the lands.
    you can use a marker and coat the bullet if it isnt easy to tell by eye.
    not taking new work

dnepr0mike said:
    that cratering is quite severe too. i don't even know what to think. are those bullets .220 in diameter? to be honest that ogive doesn't look like typical 5.45 ogive, more like 5.56 NATO bullet.
    measure a bullet. if stuff gets stuck AND generates over-pressure in the chamber that could be .224 bullet.
    Need some gun-smithing, refinishing work done? Shoot me a PM.
    ShootersNook.com - your new place for some of your shooting needs.

awag1000 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    that cratering is quite severe too. i don't even know what to think. are those bullets .220 in diameter? to be honest that ogive doesn't look like typical 5.45 ogive, more like 5.56 NATO bullet.
    measure a bullet. if stuff gets stuck AND generates over-pressure in the chamber that could be .224 bullet.
    I made an interesting finding the Tula bullet is .222 in diameter and the bullet on a Hornady Black 5.45x39 is .220 I think I found my culprit.

5. Gillan said:
    Wow! Good to know.

awag1000 said:
    Yup definitely found my culprit.

7. Gillan said:
    How does that happen? Some schmo dumped 233 bullets in the hopper and every now and then you get one?

awag1000 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillan View Post
    How does that happen? Some schmo dumped 233 bullets in the hopper and every now and then you get one?
    I think so, I'm going to have to go through my whole lot now (about 6k rounds) and weed out all the oversized bullets.

crslasher said:
    Kinna scary huh? What's the lot #?
    Another reason to stick with the Wolf and the Bears.
    All Wars are Bankers' Wars

"Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. You are a den of vipers and thieves."

- Andrew Jackson

dnepr0mike said:
    well, i'm glad that nothing is wrong with the rifle and junky ammo is to blame. i never trusted tulamo to be honest, although i did buy some when ammo availability was less than stellar. i think i still have 3-4k of 9mm and maybe a 1k of .223 that i'm saving for rainy day. probably should double-check that stuff and shoot it, then buy some wolf or tiger
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 01-23-2018 at 05:58 AM.
    Need some gun-smithing, refinishing work done? Shoot me a PM.
    ShootersNook.com - your new place for some of your shooting needs.