Need help with an AK-74
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By so2315

Thread: Need help with an AK-74

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need help with an AK-74

I purchased a Bulgarian AK-74 when they first came out years ago from a member selling them on this forum. It is one of the original Ohio Rapid Fire, with the gray park job on it. I basically bought it because at the time they were cheap and new to the market. Needless to say I have had some issues with this when I did take it out and shot it several years ago. The receiver is Ohio Ordinance if my memory is correct.
    The issues I have had with this rifle is failure to eject using Wolf steel cased ammo. In fact, the round is usually stuck in the chamber and I have to take the muzzle brake off to get the cleaning rod out and tap the empty round out of the chamber. It doesn't do this on every round, but maybe one time on a 30 round mag, and then go for another 20-30 rounds before it happens again. When it ejects, the rounds do come out forcefully and fly a good distance off. The extractor is actually ripping the rim of the case off when it is stuck in the chamber.
    The kit was a new Bulgarian kit with the Bulgarian barrel. I am stumped at what to check with this rifle, and only have the black box wolf ammo that I bought the same time as the rifle. None of the empty cases are bulged or distorted upon examination.
    Could it be the ammo causing this? I have cleaned the chamber and this rifle has less than 100 rounds threw it. I am also aware of the shit storm associated with ORF, but this was purchased pretty much when he was the only game in town for AK-74's.
    I have had thoughts on sending this off to someone and basically tearing it down and rebuilding it with a new receiver, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money to do this with the ammo drying up. Remember I bought this way back when 7N6 was dirt cheap.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    It might have been a new kit, does not say it was a functioning in spec rifle before it was demilled. It sounds like the extractor is functioning and sufficient energy to the bolt carrier since it is nearly ripping the rim off and you get good ejection. Nothing you said implies problems with the receiver at least to me. What I suspect is an issue with the barrel's chamber. I am thinking a rough chamber but they were forged barrels so I do not know how the barrel would have a rough chamber. I would try to inspect it carefully visually or a metal probe to see if there was in ridges. If nothing else a chamber cast might be a good way to check if it is in spec or observable problem. The simple test would shoot some 7N6 you know that would be in spec from a cartridge side where you can never be sure about Wolf.
    Life is not a square range, Deal with it

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    I'm thinking it may be a headspace issue? No expert but that is my guess.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Give it a good detail cleaning with a solvent and a stiff brush. It could be a spot of crud. And then find some 7n6.

closely examine the wolf for rust. I had a case that I had to cull 20% of the rounds for rust spots. The slightest brown spot would cause failures.
    Last edited by Nopec; 06-09-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The sad thing is I cannot find any 7N6 ammo, and what little 5.45 I ave is all Wolf black box hollow points. What do you all recommend to clean the chamber good with? I have an M-16 chamber brush that I can probably use to scrub the chamber with. If it is indeed a headspace issue, what are some of the signs that would show up on the spent casings? Would the neck be bulged out or anything else obvious? I don't have the gauges to check, and before I start throwing money at this I have to consider selling it off or sending it off for a teardown and complete rebuild since the Ohio Ordinance receiver is not fully hardened anyways.

Member #
    Liked
    2320 times
    your chamber sounds like it has a burr on the back lip from when it was pressed in. orf didnt press the barrels out or back in on most on the oow recs but instead drove the rivets in externally in an unusual process. maybe yours was actually pressed out and back in it sounds like. check for any burrs on very back ledge of chamber face where a steel bar would have pressed it out of trunnion and put a very slight raised lip on it.

if it feels like its there all you have to do is buy a 545 chamber finishing reamer and hand turn it with lots of machine oil. youll see a grey fine residue in the oil come off if you get that far youve fixed it. just twist a few more times softly and clean and test fire. thats not a super rare problem to have. i fixed one without a reamer but it was more work than just buying a reamer.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    First of all thanks for the replies. I'd like to report that a closer examination of the chamber showed some parkerization had leeched past the plug ORF had use when they finished the rifle. I took some kroil and a .40 cal brass brush and spun it by hand in the chamber and it came off rather easily.
    I also noticed the chrome around the muzzle on the brake had been parked over and that too came off with the brush.
    I took it to the range today and shot 200 rounds with no issues whatsoever. It ran so good, I ordered 1000 rds of the tiger ammo from SG and figured I needed a 45 round bakelight to help it digest the ammo quicker.
    I did purchase several of the battle packs from ORF that had the canvas carrier, 4 mags and oiler and stripper clips back in the day. I want to say they were under $10 each at the time. So I should be set for a while with my 74.
    Nopec likes this.

Sponsors