Odd Wear Pattern on My Saiga Piston
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dnepr0mike

Thread: Odd Wear Pattern on My Saiga Piston

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Odd Wear Pattern on My Saiga Piston

I need some help figuring out what may be causing my Saiga 7.62 piston to hang up as shown in the attached photos.

If you look at the pictures, you'll see some wear on the top left side of the carrier near the piston.

When I run the action manually with the top cover off, the piston seems to be getting hung up on the top left side of the gas block.

I double checked to make sure that my Ultimak rail is level and everything looks okay. The carrier is definitely getting hung up on the gas block. If I run the bolt slowly, it will cant a little to the left as it advances towards the chamber/gas block

Any help towards figuring this out is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Medved11; 05-28-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    659 times
    did you try w/o gas-tube? still hangs up?

is your saiga converted? is gas block straight on?

does it hang up without mag inserted?

are rails straight and uniform (both top and bottom rails)?

the more i think about it the more it seems like a gas-tube fault. AK BCG is sloppy and wobbly it's basically wants to be guided by gas tube into the gas block. try using original gas tube and see if trouble goes away, or at least we can rule out if it's specifically ultimak-related issue or gas-tube issue in general. if still hangs up with original gas-tube AND rifle undergone conversion with surplus parts then it's possible gas block might be canted.

another thought here: Saigas are essentially AK-74M. which means gas tube mounting is different than AK-47/AKM gas-tubes. It should have a spring and a lip at the bottom and as you push gas tube down at the rear sight block when re-assembling it *should* go-down with some effort then snap-in and move back slightly. this spring was added to maintain tight fit of the gas tube as well as ensure it stays latched unto the bottom of the rear sight block. Ultimak is lacking these provisions replacing it with it's bolt-on barrel bands. so i can see how it might not be doing what OEM tube should. personally i don't own Ultimak but looking at one in the picture i question whether that could be the issue responsible.

go ahead and give original tube a try and see if problem persists. also add more pics. hard to see what's going on with only such a limited area of the rifle in the view.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 05-28-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    Medved11 likes this.
    Need some gun-smithing, refinishing work done? Shoot me a PM.
    ShootersNook.com - your new place for some of your shooting needs.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    did you try w/o gas-tube? still hangs up?

is your saiga converted? is gas block straight on?

does it hang up without mag inserted?

are rails straight and uniform (both top and bottom rails)?

the more i think about it the more it seems like a gas-tube fault. AK BCG is sloppy and wobbly it's basically wants to be guided by gas tube into the gas block. try using original gas tube and see if trouble goes away, or at least we can rule out if it's specifically ultimak-related issue or gas-tube issue in general. if still hangs up with original gas-tube AND rifle undergone conversion with surplus parts then it's possible gas block might be canted.

another thought here: Saigas are essentially AK-74M. which means gas tube mounting is different than AK-47/AKM gas-tubes. It should have a spring and a lip at the bottom and as you push gas tube down at the rear sight block when re-assembling it *should* go-down with some effort then snap-in and move back slightly. this spring was added to maintain tight fit of the gas tube as well as ensure it stays latched unto the bottom of the rear sight block. Ultimak is lacking these provisions replacing it with it's bolt-on barrel bands. so i can see how it might not be doing what OEM tube should. personally i don't own Ultimak but looking at one in the picture i question whether that could be the issue responsible.

go ahead and give original tube a try and see if problem persists. also add more pics. hard to see what's going on with only such a limited area of the rifle in the view.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try a standard gas tube with a mag inserted (and check the block for any cant) and let you know if the issue persists. The more that I think about it, I don't recall seeing that wear pattern before I swapped out the tube for the Ultimak (I put about 200 rounds through it when it was still in the sporter configuration).

I'll also try to post some better pics of the problem as well

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I tried a standard gas tube and the issue seems to improve the issue but the shoulder of the piston/carrier is still getting a little hung up on the gas block. I'm thinking that my gas block must be slightly canted. I need to find a small bullet level and see if I can see if it's canted at all

Sponsors