Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My single shot ak

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11958 times
    True enough, but we might as well check everything out one thing at a time. A good function check is a nice and easy basic start, if it passes, we can eliminate that, then move on.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2961 times
    Does he have the right piston?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The rog View Post
    Well, thank you all for the reply s..
    no markings beside a cereal # so country of origin is unknown. It says 1972 then #.
    I have broke it down, compared parts to a new ak, removed gas block, drilled gas block out a tiny bit, re assembled, and bobs your uncle, still a single shot. I had a guy look at it, and he said, quote, "that's weird" . Had to laugh.
    I will post picks.
    Could be romy, russian, or polish with the date on the trunnion. If no marks on the receiver then possibally a US build. Doesn't really matter, we can't help you until we have pics to know what we are looking at. Also, please refrain from anymore drilling or other nonreversible methods. You came here for advice from experts so dont go screwing it up until these guys can take a look at it and advise.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    You should not have drilled out the gas port.
    Too late.. Why should I have not drilled it? Other than now there is too much gas pressure, which doesn't move the action, but my fingers move it fine. Seems illogical.
    i drilled it thinking it needed more gas to cycle, but no change. It's not much bigger, but still will not move the action, but you can pull action back manually, and it cycles fine. Trigger works fine. Piston is seated all the way home, so not a short piston, I took off gas tube to be sure, and put the piston in and it goes all the way up the gas block.
    Last edited by The rog; 02-11-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I won't do anything else stupid I promise.
    I assume I will have to buy a new barrel to fix my gun before it blows up.
    i have shot it, and it works fine when manually cycle.
    pics soon
    and thank you so much for the replies. You input is valuable to me, since I'm a dumbass
    Last edited by The rog; 02-11-2016 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add stuff

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    This is as good a place to start as any. Make sure your weapon is clear, then perform a function check; remove mag, pull the bolt to the rear, check the chamber, then release. Engage the safety, weapon should not fire. Disengage the safety, squeeze the trigger and keep it held to the rear, the hammer should release. With the trigger still held to the rear, pull the bolt fully to the rear and release. Release the trigger - you should hear it release. Squeeze the trigger, and the hammer should fall.
    I did a function test, safety works, pulled trigger(hammer fell) held trigger, cycle action, release trigger, it went click, pulled trigger, hammer dropped. That's good yes?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Member #
    Liked
    10066 times
    You have a circle 11 Polish kit build. First thing I would do: slide a small rod through the gas block and into the barrel. If you can see it in the bore, then your gas port shouldn't be obstructed. If you can't, then there is probably some issue with the gas block or the gas port as drilled into the barrel.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Disclaimer: I have been informed that I exist solely as a shill for false flag operations on behalf of not only the United States federal government, but the Illuminati, Majestic 12, Area 51, and Nike. I do not own any firearms (so I've been told) and instead attain self-gratification exclusively with Nerf guns.

ęDaedalus Self-Aware Technologies 2009-2017 P.S. ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Member #
    Liked
    4419 times
    one more time, can you put some thing in the gas block from the top and look through the bore of the barrel and see it?
    an 1/8" or smaller drill bit going in backwords would work to check.
    you mention drilling out the gas block wondered if you just did the gas block itself.
    w/ the rifle like it is in the last picture posted can you wiggle the carrier at all like up and down and side to side or grabbing the piston is there any play?
    should be able to move it a little just to make sure it isn't really bound up.
    I would also check headspace, if its really tight it wont cycle.
    with the rifle totally assembled how hard is it to cycle by hand?
    can you leave go at any point in the stroke and have it go back into battery by itself?
    not that this matters for the problem were trying to fix but your ejector looks fucked
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    More picsimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    one more time, can you put some thing in the gas block from the top and look through the bore of the barrel and see it?
    an 1/8" or smaller drill bit going in backwords would work to check.
    you mention drilling out the gas block wondered if you just did the gas block itself.
    w/ the rifle like it is in the last picture posted can you wiggle the carrier at all like up and down and side to side or grabbing the piston is there any play?
    should be able to move it a little just to make sure it isn't really bound up.
    I would also check headspace, if its really tight it wont cycle.
    with the rifle totally assembled how hard is it to cycle by hand?
    can you leave go at any point in the stroke and have it go back into battery by itself?
    not that this matters for the problem were trying to fix but your ejector looks fucked
    I mispoke. I drilled out the gas port in barrel, not the gas block itself. I knocked off the sight and the gas block because the drill bit I used broke in the barrel. So once the the gas block was off, I got the broken drill bit out, and deburred the barrel and re assembled everything. It had no affect
    Yes the hole in the barrel is lined up with the gas block, and I can see the wire I put in the gas block sticking out into the barrel.
    The bolt and sliding mechanism is fine I think.. With the recoil spring removed, the action slides very smooth and doesn't bind up at all. I can let go of the slide mech. At any point And it goes home to battery w/ no prob.
    Don't no how to check headspace.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Somebody ax me if it ejects the empty and it does. It will, without pulling trigger, eject a round every cycle until mag is empty.
    i can shoot, cycle shoot until mag is empty. The extractor may be f-Ed up but it ejects every time.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8459 times
    Yeah, that ejector is boned. The receiver looks like it was a flat that isn't heat treated. It could be the pic but it looks like it's bowed a little bit. Other than that, your disconnecter looks sloppy as hell! Is it straight and tight? It looks like it's a large hole disconnecter used with a small hole trigger. Looking at the shape of the rifle it looks like the previous owner just thrown it together.

If you do in fact have a gas port in the barrel then there really is no reason on why it wouldn't cycle unless you have a hole in your barrel before the gas port. Have you looked under the handguard? If your disconnecter is hammered then it will cycle but won't reset the trigger making it a single shot rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors