ALG Trigger. Hard use issues
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ALG Trigger. Hard use issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Member #
    30236
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times

    ALG Trigger. Hard use issues

    First let me start out with some administrative notes. I'm not here to bash any companies, people or guns. I'm a practical shooter and train regularly. I've just finished 32 hours with Tactical Response Fighting Rifle and Advance fighting rifle. I have trained with other schools like Costa Ludas and Sig Sauer Academy for example. This is not a review of any of these and please don't use this as an attempt to pick a part my qualifications. If you haven't been there done that then you only know what you've been told and don't have the context. I'm just passing on information and you choose to do with it as you wish. I'm not a gunsmith by any means but do have good mechanical skills, that means nothing to you and you shouldn't take it to the bank so to speak. Remember just passing off FIRST HAND info, not what I was told, but what I saw and experienced. Some info will be incomplete because I didn't decide to do this until right now and because of that didn't take down information on-the-spot. Ok now that we got that all out of the way I hope we've avoided the usual forum crap.

    Taking training as earlier reported Nov 14/15 and Nov 16/17 in Bastrop, TX with Tactical Response. Another student who I met there and befriended quickly had an Arsenal SLG in 7.62x39. This student had bought "The Year of Training" from Tac Resp. in March of this year and has taken hundreds of hours of training since and upwards of 15-20K rounds spent. This is not a complete list but some of the classes included all of the contractor courses (didn't leave Camden for a month) to all pistol and rifle courses offered and medical courses. All of this in 8 months. I tell you that so you understand where the person is at in experience. He had the ALG for his Arsenal installed (I know there is two versions and I'm very sorry I didn't find out which one) because he said the stock Arsenal one wouldn't reset at times and he had to push the trigger forward to reset.

    After approximately 3K rounds the disconnector broke in half, from top to bottom as orientated in the rifle. He told me he called ALG and informed them they sent him a new disconnector immediately with no issues which is awesome, but did want him to note that he might have to replace his recoil spring. I'm in disagreement with that, enough said. He installed new disconnector. During a Team bounding drill with me his gun became a bolt action rifle. I would like to note the hard ass never quite the drill and we finished. After the drill we inspected his rifle and found that after 1K rounds the disconnector had failed again in the same manner the prior one did.

    There was a mechanical engineer who was taking the course with us and looked at the parts. I would like to note that my education is in aeronautical engineering (no work experience however, I'm a airline pilot by trade). This might already be common knowledge so I don't claim to have some insight. The part was clearly some type of MIM part. This makes sense because I don't there's any company out there who can machine these parts and sell them for what ALG is. I would like to note that we found that during cycling the disconnector was very obviously making hard contact with the rivet behind it. No more information there, again didn't take any notes sorry.

    My final statement is this. Purchase if you want, don't purchase if you want I don't really care and I'm not going to say either way. An open and "free" market will determine in the long run. If by chance someone from ALG or someone who knows someone from ALG sees this, please, I would be willing to pay a lot more for a machined trigger replacement. I know there's people out there who think it's stupid to pay $200 for a trigger for your AK, but there is also a market of people who own Kreb's Custom guns and Rifle Dynamics guns who might pay that for a better trigger. Keep making the cheaper versions but if it can economically work with your business model, then try a machined version. It would cost a person more send out an AK to have a trigger job, plus a hassle, then just purchase a $200 drop in. Or don't. It's your company. I love my SSA-E in my Warsport Costa by-the-way.
    evolixsurf likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21506
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,587
    Liked
    1393 times
    First, to get this out of the way, we have had a lot of new folks coming in here, referencing Tac Response and bashing fcg's, so prepare yourself.

    I would like details on this if possible. Where exactly did the disconnector break? Up towards the hook or more toward the bottom? Did this guy try installing the pins provided to properly set this up in his Arsenal? Was he experiencing trigger slap? He should have been if it was bottoming out on the rivet. Did the rivet display any deformation or marring?

    Also, I believe all Geiselle products are MIM are they not? There's not really anything wrong with the process for components like this as long as they are properly heat treated after. You don't have to have the superior grain structure of forged or even machined billet for these parts to last. For the record, these ALG fcg's are crazy hard and durable. I had some issues modifying one using a mill. My endmills barely took a bite out of it. They aren't just hard either, they were that kind of pain in the ass to mill steel that doesn't even want to chip off. IF one did break, I would be really interested in seeing photos. It shouldn't just snap. It should deform a bit first because they are well made.

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Member #
    30236
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Malice View Post
    First, to get this out of the way, we have had a lot of new folks coming in here, referencing Tac Response and bashing fcg's, so prepare yourself.

    I would like details on this if possible. Where exactly did the disconnector break? Up towards the hook or more toward the bottom? Did this guy try installing the pins provided to properly set this up in his Arsenal? Was he experiencing trigger slap? He should have been if it was bottoming out on the rivet. Did the rivet display any deformation or marring?

    Also, I believe all Geiselle products are MIM are they not? There's not really anything wrong with the process for components like this as long as they are properly heat treated after. You don't have to have the superior grain structure of forged or even machined billet for these parts to last. For the record, these ALG fcg's are crazy hard and durable. I had some issues modifying one using a mill. My endmills barely took a bite out of it. They aren't just hard either, they were that kind of pain in the ass to mill steel that doesn't even want to chip off. IF one did break, I would be really interested in seeing photos. It shouldn't just snap. It should deform a bit first because they are well made.
    Thanks, and before they start they should save their breath cause I don't care what they think. Anyway, I'll do my best to get pics. It will depend on the owner completely. If not, like I said ealier, this isn't to dissuade anyone. I'm just passing an experience that if people can if they so choose, can use.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member

    Member #
    30236
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    How do we feel about this statement? Hard metal doesn't always mean good right? Hard can turn into brittle very easily.

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    Member #
    30236
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    No pics available because broken part was sent back to ALG and pics not taken. Installed properly (mostly drop in remember). Rivet is the trigger guard rivet and has obvious witness marks from being struck.

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21506
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,587
    Liked
    1393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maneman View Post
    How do we feel about this statement? Hard metal doesn't always mean good right? Hard can turn into brittle very easily.
    This is correct which is why I was mentioning that it's actually very durable also. Milling it, or attempting to, spoke a lot of the quality. I'm not sure what alloy it is, but it seems comparable to 4140. Many of the critical parts of the AK itself are made from what is very similar in many respects to 4140. It will deform as opposed to just cracking and breaking which is preferable on these parts.

    I would say this guy likely had a bad streak with those and happened to get some improperly treated disconnectors as opposed to there being an inherent problem. A likely scenario on them would be hammer follow if something were just wrong with the design. The disconnector would deform to the point that the hammer would no longer be caught.

  8. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    26606
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,708
    Liked
    676 times
    i posted in one of your previous threads with the same title and same opening post. you for some reason deleted previous two threads.
    you claim you are doing a public service and promise pics kinda without actually promising to put them up because you are at the mercy of the some other guy.
    you joined today. your total post count is 4 all are about bashing ALG and/or talk about some operator training.
    this certainly calls in question your motives and credibility.
    there is a good saying in american english: "put up or shut up"
    i don't mean to be rude and i'm prepared to apologize when i see a photo of broken pieces of ALG trigger parts in this thread.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 11-20-2015 at 01:56 PM.

  9. #8
    Junior Member

    Member #
    28930
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, new guy here.

    I have been looking to purchase an ALG trigger recently and reading up a lot about it.

    I would be interested is seeing pics of this myself, too. If the ALG AK trigger had a serious, major malfunction like the one described in the OP's post it would be prudent for the operator to document such an occurrence at the very least. You would think, anyway.

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Member #
    30236
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    i posted in one of your previous threads with the same title and same opening post. you for some reason deleted previous two threads.
    you claim you are doing a public service and promise pics kinda without actually promising to put them up because you are at the mercy of the some other guy.
    you joined today. your total post count is 4 all are about bashing ALG and/or talk about some operator training.
    this certainly calls in question your motives and credibility.
    there is a good saying in american english: "put up or shut up"
    i don't mean to be rude and i'm prepared to apologize when i see a photo of broken pieces of ALG trigger parts in this thread.
    If you didn't mean to be rude....why talk about apologizing? I didn't delete shit. I'm guessing some admin did because it was redundant. I promised nothing, simply because I could give a shit. I just joined today because I don't "do" threads. I never gave an opinion of the trigger so where was the bashing. This is the end so I guess my number of post will forever be at 5. You're averaging 60 post/day since you joined............now that shit is operator.

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21506
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,587
    Liked
    1393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maneman View Post
    If you didn't mean to be rude....why talk about apologizing? I didn't delete shit. I'm guessing some admin did because it was redundant. I promised nothing, simply because I could give a shit. I just joined today because I don't "do" threads. I never gave an opinion of the trigger so where was the bashing. This is the end so I guess my number of post will forever be at 5. You're averaging 60 post/day since you joined............now that shit is operator.
    Bye. I suspected from the get go that this would happen. Go be a Yeager-beaver somewhere else. If you get upset because someone wants proof, you are the problem. If this really did happen, it was a fluke. ALG makes quality products and even though I don't personally care for their AK trigger, it's well made. No one wants Yeager's pumped up century garbage fcg's which is what this rash of recent people seem to be pointing toward.

  12. #11
    m03
    m03 is offline
    Senior Member

    Member #
    20684
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    2,283
    Liked
    1253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maneman View Post
    If you didn't mean to be rude....why talk about apologizing? I didn't delete shit. I'm guessing some admin did because it was redundant. I promised nothing, simply because I could give a shit. I just joined today because I don't "do" threads. I never gave an opinion of the trigger so where was the bashing.
    Cool story.

    Quote Originally Posted by maneman View Post
    This is the end so I guess my number of post will forever be at 5. You're averaging 60 post/day since you joined............now that shit is operator.
    I guess math isn't your strong suite. The guy you're replying to joined 15 months ago and only has 202 posts total. At this point, your average posts per day far exceed his.

    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral_Malice View Post
    No one wants Yeager's pumped up century garbage fcg's which is what this rash of recent people seem to be pointing toward.
    Now that you mention it, there did seem to be a rush of noobs with bad attitudes and no evidence shitting on various producer's FCGs in the past year.
    Last edited by m03; 11-20-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Visceral_Malice likes this.
    WTB: PO3.5x21p with 7.62 reticle

  13. #12
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21506
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,587
    Liked
    1393 times
    And everyone of them comes in with a similar story about a fcg failing at a "tactical class" and guess who's class it always is? They get pissed off over facts and then rage out and get banned. It's happened repeatedly lately.

  14. #13
    Senior Member

    Member #
    15032
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,599
    Liked
    513 times
    Friction from airborne Bovine fecal molecules is tough on equipment !
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

  15. #14
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21070
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    874
    Liked
    338 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maneman View Post
    I just joined today because I don't "do" threads.


    to quote Leviathan... in before Hootbro... LOL
    AkemiYhu and Leviathan like this.
    I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #15
    Senior Member

    Member #
    29824
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    217
    Liked
    78 times
    Yet again, another person who has come in to do nothing but bash something they don't know about without any pictures or proof. ALG AKTs breaking at 1k rounds? Sorry buddy but if it was THAT common, I think ALG would have addressed the problem by now.

    On another note, why am I not surprised it's another one of those knucklehead "Tactical Response" guys? Like the gun community needs any more of such people...
    armory74, Walleye and Leviathan like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Issues with a Saiga 308 rifle trigger
    By in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  2. Trigger fitment issues.
    By formula73 in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM
  3. Still having trigger issues with my M92
    By sousa in forum Krinkovs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.