Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 56type
  • 1 Post By dnepr0mike

Thread: Noob Question: Setting Up Drill Press for a Saiga Bullet Guide Install

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Noob Question: Setting Up Drill Press for a Saiga Bullet Guide Install

This is probably a real "noob" type question but here goes...

I'm getting myself set up to install the bullet guide in my 5.45 conversion as soon as the part arrives from Dinzag Arms. I don't trust myself to be able to drill a straight hole by hand in this case, so I want to use a drill press.

While I'm waiting, I tried this afternoon to figure out how to best orient the gun on my drill press so that I can get to work as soon as the parts show up; however, I'm having trouble getting the trunnion and drill bit to line up as the mag catch is getting hung up on the side of the press table (I've got the gun in a drill press vice with a pair of soft jaws attached).

I'm sure that I'm missing something totally obvious, but what's the "proper" way of getting this thing rigged-up on the press (maybe a block of wood underneath the vice to add a bit more clearance)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    2 things you have to remember...Keep everything straight and square. Make sure the material you use to lift the receiver is doing so while keeping the bit centered on the spot you want to drill. A cheap solution is plastic cutting boards since they are fairly easily cut and shaped. If anything is tilted/canted/crooked your hole will be too, which could cause the rivet to not want to sit flush like it should. If you don't already have a small machinist square handy you could probably pick one up at Harbor Freight cheap so you could square up the receiver to the bit. Also either make a centering mark where you want the hole to be or use a split point drill bit so it doesn't want to "walk" off center when you try drilling it.

Don't know how much slop your DP has but keeping everything as close to the head as possible will usually give the best results. By that I mean you should set everything up to where the bit only has to move a small amount before it contacts the metal and starts to cut. This gives the most rigid setup on a DP. To check the slop you extend the drill quill and check it along the way by grabbing it and trying to make it move side-to-side and front-to-back, usually the further from all the way up the drill chuck gets the worse the slop becomes which is why you only want to move it the shortest distance possible. Hope this helps.
    Medved11 likes this.
    " Oh yeah, they're ready for somebody....They're not ready for us" - Snakedoc

Member #
    Liked
    665 times
    i used:

vise
    v-block
    digital angle gauge (to the side of receiver)

i also added couple of chunks of lumber under the butt stock tang to prevent vibration

barrel goes into v-block (section closest to RSB, pretty much RSB right against the vise) and makes entire rifle leveled in x-plane
    digital gauge attached to the receiver side helps find 90* in relation to z-plane

i wrap barrel in couple of layers of brown packaging paper not to scuff the finish against hardened steel of v-block

don't forget to support rear of the receiver. you don't want to brake a drill bit in the hole

i also you this same setup when i drill barrel for pins and gas port. in this case i support front end as well as the rear.

also for laughs and as experiment i glued bullet guided in one of my saigas with 1 drop of super-glue (cyanoacrylate) it has probably 6-7 hundred rounds through it and it still holds. i wanna see how long it'll take to give up the ghost.
    worth mentioning, this is a flat bottom bullet guide not round one.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 09-14-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    Medved11 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 56type View Post
    2 things you have to remember...Keep everything straight and square. Make sure the material you use to lift the receiver is doing so while keeping the bit centered on the spot you want to drill. A cheap solution is plastic cutting boards since they are fairly easily cut and shaped. If anything is tilted/canted/crooked your hole will be too, which could cause the rivet to not want to sit flush like it should. If you don't already have a small machinist square handy you could probably pick one up at Harbor Freight cheap so you could square up the receiver to the bit. Also either make a centering mark where you want the hole to be or use a split point drill bit so it doesn't want to "walk" off center when you try drilling it.

Don't know how much slop your DP has but keeping everything as close to the head as possible will usually give the best results. By that I mean you should set everything up to where the bit only has to move a small amount before it contacts the metal and starts to cut. This gives the most rigid setup on a DP. To check the slop you extend the drill quill and check it along the way by grabbing it and trying to make it move side-to-side and front-to-back, usually the further from all the way up the drill chuck gets the worse the slop becomes which is why you only want to move it the shortest distance possible. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tips - this definitely helps

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    i used:

vise
    v-block
    digital angle gauge (to the side of receiver)

i also added couple of chunks of lumber under the butt stock tang to prevent vibration

barrel goes into v-block and makes entire rifle leveled in x-plane
    digital gauge attached to the receiver helps find 90* in z-plane

i wrap barrel in couple of layers of brown packaging paper not to scuff the finish against hardened steel of v-block

i also you this same setup when i drill barrel for pins and gas port

don't forget to support rear of the receiver. you don't want to brake a drill bit in the hole

also for laughs and as experiment i glued bullet guided in one of my saigas with 1 drop of super-glue (cyanoacrylate) it has probably 6-7 hundred rounds through it and it still holds. i wanna see how long it'll take to give up the ghost.
    worth mentioning, this is a flat bottom bullet guide not round one.
    Good point about wrapping the gun before putting it in the vise - I learned this the hard way yesterday when I was trying to dry fit everything on my press an scratched the paint on my receiver. I'm not too worried since I'm going to paint it later but it still sucks to scratch it up before I get a chance to use it

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If using a small bench top drill press, you can leave the gun set up, and remove the belt on the press. Use the pully by hand to tap straight - DO REMOVE the press return spring first1
    Professor Emeritus, School of Hard Knocks and Sharp Blows to the Head.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors