I.O. AK Not Feeding Rounds
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I.O. AK Not Feeding Rounds

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I.O. AK Not Feeding Rounds

New rifle, went to fire it and the bullets (HP) were not feeding into the chamber. Instead they get stuck on the barrel just below the chamber. I was able to cycle some SP ammo through but they were smashing into the chamfer on the barrel and the tips of the SP ammo were all getting marred aswell. I know a lot of people say IO's are crap, maybe they are, but its what I have and i want it to function properly with whatever 7.62x39 ammo i want. Its after business hours now but I am planning to call IO monday morning to see what they have to say about it. I am using the crappy mag that came with it.

Ive attached a couple pics of what the ammo looks like after attempting to feed. And heres a link of me manually feeding a round -- http://youtu.be/gScGQu0CSSs

Any help or ideas are appreciated!
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    957 times
    Trunnion bullet guide wasn't designed for HP rounds if I remember correctly. Try FMJ, see if that works.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    It's an AK it should be able to shoot anything you put through it. Try a few ComBloc mags see if you have better results. If all else fails your trunnion must have a shitacular bullet guide.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. There may be some modifications in order. When I looked around I found a lot of people say their Ak would shoot anything and others only liked fmj's, I guess it depends on the rifle.

I also noticed my flippin bolt is getting marred on a corner or 2. Pretty annoying considering I have only fired 2 rounds out of it. I'll post some pics later.

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    Bullet guide, or you could modify the chamber to help feeding (only recommended for skilled smiths)
    WTB: Kits/Rifles - RPK-74, PLO AKM Kit, Numbers Matching Original BBL Good+ Condition AK Parts Kit, Rare cool AK carbine parts

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks justin. I'm assuming it would be the same thing as a Saiga bullet guide right? My trunnion is flat so i will probably just get a flat piece of brass and tailor it for optimal feeding. Originally, I was thinking it could just be the magazine but I dont think thats the problem. It currently feeds so that the bullet contacts the current low guide just fine. Cant wait to have a properly functioning AK.

Member #
    Liked
    1078 times
    I had one AKM that would only feed FMJ until I cut a chamfer at the 6 O'clock position of the barrel. The chamber was just cut flat, and using a dremel I cut a shallow chamfer about 1/8 inch wide. Just a little metal removed but it was enough to allow feeding of HP rounds.

Remembering that the AK was designed as a home defense rifle along international guidelines for what can be used against an enemy, it would feed FMJ very reliably, but most people I have worked with have had issues feeding soft points without some kind of ramp, chamfer or guide.

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    What Indykid said ^

if its your bullet guide it will be obvious that it is damaged or out of place.
    WTB: Kits/Rifles - RPK-74, PLO AKM Kit, Numbers Matching Original BBL Good+ Condition AK Parts Kit, Rare cool AK carbine parts

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. My barrel does have a chamfer 180* on the inside. You can see it in the YouTube link I posted. It seems like the chamfer at the 6 o'clock position needs to extend lower, or I need to make a bullet guide to direct the bullet nose a little higher when feeding into the chamber. I don't really want to do either but I guess it will be a project for next week.

My rifle doesn't have a separate bullet guide currently. It's rides along the trunnion which points them in the right direction just not high enough.

I'm leaning towards the bullet guide idea currently but I want to get another mag or 2 before I do it to ensure it will work with other mags and not just my IO mag.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    It's safer that it's not feeding rounds. Less likely to blow up.
    WTB Bosnian fleur de lis mag, poor condition 30 round Bakelite mags in 5.45 and 7.62. Have sideslabs and cash!

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    I know IO doesnt have the best reputation but have you tried contacting them to send your rifle back for repairs? Dont they offer a "lifetime warranty"?
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by T_AZ-AK_boy View Post
    It's an AK it should be able to shoot anything you put through it. Try a few ComBloc mags see if you have better results. If all else fails your trunnion must have a shitacular bullet guide.
    That's not exactly true. Half the AKs I've ever had, from pre ban Norincos to Arsenal to WASRs, wouldn't reliably feed HP. Even a Hungarian factory AK would choke on those HP. They were never designed or intended to feed HP. It's an AK it's not magic.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Called I.O. and talked to the royal tiger rep that I ordered my rifle from. He said that they aren't designed to feed hp or sp ammo and to try some fmj. He's a nice guy and also mentioned that permanent modifications will void my warranty.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    That's not exactly true. Half the AKs I've ever had, from pre ban Norincos to Arsenal to WASRs, wouldn't reliably feed HP. Even a Hungarian factory AK would choke on those HP. They were never designed or intended to feed HP. It's an AK it's not magic.
    What!!!! From what I saw on the news I thought they were Magical beasts!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would try a few more mags first not all mags are created equally, And if that doesn't work then move on to working on the feed ramp. from what you described sounds like your mag is locking up too or your feed ramp it to low but both of those are easy fixes even if your not a gun smith. I it turns out to be the feed ramp for sure, just put a bead on it with a mig and extend the lines of the ramp with a dremal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors