• 1 Post By evolixsurf
  • 1 Post By BR7.62
  • 1 Post By Bansh88

Thread: AK-74 problems

Member #
    Liked
    449 times

AK-74 problems

Scored this one from a board member before my car accident, so haven't shot it. 1983-date Russian with a Bulgarian barrel, test-fired by builder, only. PoHF build using 7N6 Russian FMJ surplus.

Problem 1: half of my East German mags will not lock in when inserted. They're all from the same package, maybe it's the batch (?). Still, they just go in and slide back out with no resistance, rear locking lug won't pop into place.

The other batch off mags work flawlessly, except for...

Problem 2: random rounds - about 1 in 7 - get stuck about 4/5 of the way into the chamber when loading, or get stuck about 4/5 of the way in when extracting. As in, jammed in the chamber. Had to use a carbon fiber cleaning rod down the muzzle end to pop the round out.

Completely field-stripped and inspected for foreign objects or rust, but there was neither. Cleaned thoroughly and function-checked everything again, but same thing happened. Haven't been well enough for a range trip and wonder if pulling the trigger will solve everything.

Thoughts?

One more problem: my .22 caliber cleaning rod seems an awfully tight fit - I need some elbow grease to get it through with a patch on. Should I be using a smaller rod?
    Jim Fuller, BH_4000/abernaturlich/IvanDrago, and Sheepdog Concept

Do no business with these crooks.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    I thought I responded to this last night, but I have this to contribute.

1. check the cause of magwell fitment by cautious fitting into the latch, receiver rear area and center support with the mags. File to fit.

2. The feeding problem should be resolved after that(and a cleaning of your mags). And you can not say there are issues until youve loaded a round and fired it at typical pressures at the range. It takes this sometimes to break the rifle in. Every rifle ive received from a builder has been on the TIGHT side, but never failed to feed after a live round was shot...... This is a good thing.

3. The cleaning rod issue seems to simply be an issue of too much patch. Cut your patches in half and try again. And you get twice the patches!

Hope this solves the issue. FYI. Ive never had a malfunction with an AK. No joke.....
    Last edited by evolixsurf; 09-25-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Delacroix likes this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    449 times
    Many thanks! Now, should I use a file or a dremel, and what type of file ( if file)?

I haven't had to file anything on an AK before...
    Last edited by Delacroix; 09-26-2014 at 12:12 AM.
    Jim Fuller, BH_4000/abernaturlich/IvanDrago, and Sheepdog Concept

Do no business with these crooks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    Maybe you might try using a set of those small, Swiss files which come in a dozen file shapes in a plastic box first. Dremels are great, and having the extended shaft with the small pen-sized chuck at the end is much easier to get into small spaces. The only problem is it is easy to get carried away with them and discover you removed much more material than you thought you were removing, so using a lite touch is highly recommended.

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    Fiorentino likes this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Is built from a matching kit? I never have weird problems like that except when I built a scrap pile AK. All my matching numbers builds came out grate!

Member #
    Liked
    51920 times
    My cleaning rod was for .22 and a fit snug. I should have bought the .17-.20 cal that measure .158 from Tipton. Stupid and expensive mistake, but fixed now.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    .22 cleaning rod down a 74? I think the 74 BBL is .221"...a hare smaller. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I use a .17 rod and it's great.

Member #
    Liked
    4413 times
    before you file on the mag catch itself make sure that the top of the lug is resting against the the bottom the selector stop.
    if it isnt it is most likely the back of the magwell actually needs filed on or it is hitting the center support.
    once you know it is seeting against the selector stop but not latching it is the latch itelf that needs filed on.
    oil it up and take to the range.
    JeepFan likes this.
    not taking new work

Member #
    Liked
    8046 times
    Not all mags are identical. Not all magwells are identical. While 99% of them work fine across all countries, some don't. I have this issue with 2 rifles. First one has been sold long ago, a Bulgarian pistol in 7.62. Some mags were very tight and needed help getting in and out while other mags worked just fine. All mags were surplus. The second rifle I still own. It was originally a Norinco 84s 556 converted to 5.45. most mags work fine. Some mags get hung up on extraction and need to be either yanked out or a slight twist needs to be applied on extraction. I have 2 Polish mags that completely refuse to even go in. Again, all mags are surplus.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    If only we could find a cleaning rod designed for the 5.45!

*sarcasm
    JeepFan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansh88 View Post
    If only we could find a cleaning rod designed for the 5.45!

*sarcasm
    This.

Use the rod on your rifle. Also pick up a 74 specific "tube" type cleaning kit if you don't have one. Easy fix. For a more involved cleaning I use a Dewey coated rod with a brass patch holder to prevent crown damage and nylon bore brushes.

Like what BR7.62 posted, when I have had mag fitment problems it has usually been the back of the magwell, not the mag catch. Try inserting the mag and looking closely to see what is preventing it from seating.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pwcosol View Post
    Maybe you might try using a set of those small, Swiss files which come in a dozen file shapes in a plastic box first. Dremels are great, and having the extended shaft with the small pen-sized chuck at the end is much easier to get into small spaces. The only problem is it is easy to get carried away with them and discover you removed much more material than you thought you were removing, so using a lite touch is highly recommended.
    Remove too much and you'll have wiggly mags. Too little and too tight of a fit; you'll have to slam the mags in to seat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sponsors