Wear on rail and ejector

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Wear on rail and ejector

Are these wears normal? I only shot 120 rounds through my newly build Rommy G. It seems to me that the rail and ejector was not well harden. My other Polish AK47 under folder had the same number of rounds were shot, but it does not show any wear on the rail or the ejector at all.

What should I do? Is there a ways that I can harden my Rommy AK47 rail and ejector?

From what I see, my bolt had shaved about .5 millimeter of metal off my rail.

Member #
    Liked
    512 times

Re: Wear on rail and ejector

who manufactured the reciever ?
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    133 times

might be a too strong of a dimple?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    512 times

Compareing the pic to an AKM in hand, it does look to deep or thick. No matter what, the bolt hardness will be harder then the hardened reciever metal and it will wear the ejector somewhat anyway, I would be more concerned about the area that strikes the case staying in shape...
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

It was made by Global Trade/Armory USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega7.62
    who manufactured the reciever ?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

It could be too strong of a dimple or the rail was welded a little bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbothis
    might be a too strong of a dimple?

Member #
    Liked
    512 times

Keep firing it, it will wear away the amount of metal that is in the way so to speak, but the tip edge is neccessary to be maintained. I believe you could harden the ejector fin by heating with a oxy/acetylene or propane torch and cooling slowly, but I am not sure if that is the correct procedure, but the problem is pretty minor and fixable. I do think I would file that area ever so slightly just to smooth it out some without removing much thickness.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

I may have to re-heat treat it. I will do more searching for the correct procedure to perform this task.

Picture of my AKM which I had fired exactly 120 rounds. It shows no wear at all (Nodak receiver).

On the other hand, my Rommy G shows significantly more wear on the ejector with exactly 120 rounds (Global Trade receiver).

Member #
    Liked
    512 times

You can usually get an idea of hardness by putting a file to it, if the file digs right in, then it needs hardening. Compare this on your other AKs ejectors, just file the back side a bit to tell. The big boys use a Rockwell hardness tester, but sometimes it will not fit in where it needs to do the testing.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

I have an old Global Trades receiver that I messed up. I've been thinking about fixing it latley since you can't buy Nodaks for $55, and all of the transfer fee's have gone from $20 to $40 nowdays.

Anyways, the GT receiver I have has roughly 400rds through it and the ejector looks like that too. Definetly needs to be heat treated.

Member #
    Liked
    512 times

It sounds to me that the Nodak is worth it at twice the price when you have problems of anykind to save fifty or hundred bucks. The FFL shops around here are having a transfer fee price war, $10 is now the going rate as a result ..

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

From your photos, it appears that your ejector dimple is just a little large. Just use a dremel stone to reduce the height a smidge.
    Use some Dykem or a magic market to darken the contact area, and adjust/stone until it no longer "hits". It won't take much.

Also, as stated, it will wear down through use.....
    Owning a nice weapon you don't shoot is like being married to a supermodel and not sleeping with her.

Member #
    Liked
    243 times

I concur the dimple is a touch thick or rail a bit high. It will wear in or can be dressed a bit as has been suggested. If the ejector is soft the problem will appear on the front edge that contacts the case head....if it is soft it will start to peen or mushroom out on the front edge.

I would shoot it a bit more and watch the front edge and if you see mushrooming then harden it , I would use a torch and kasenit since you don't know what steel was used.
    "Asked what the 250,000 Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by a half million German soldiers, a Swiss replied: shoot twice and go home."

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

The front edge of the ejector looks like it's already being peened. My guess is it's too soft.

H

Member #
    Liked
    88 times

What Badbrad said. Use the Kasenit to get a good case hardening on it whithout making the whole ejector too brittle.

Tim

Sponsors