Need Help with Century Arms AK

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need Help with Century Arms AK

This is my first post to the AK Forum.

Recently, I acquired a Century International Arms AK, Model M70B1. It was made by DC Industries, Inc., Saint Paul, Minnesota. It appears to be in excellent condition. The last time I picked up an AK was in 1977, while serving in the Army, and that was only for familiarization purposes. In other words, I am a novice in regard to AK's, though I am well-versed in other military weapons.

When I purchased the AK, the gun-shop owner said he would have to fish around for a magazine for me, as the guy who sold the AK to him didn't provide him with any mags. The gun-shop owner then gave me a magazine, which he himself could not get to seat in the AK. I got the gun at a good price, so I said what the hell, I'll figure it out later.

I can't figure it. I downloaded a manual from the internet, and consulted it. It seems very straightforward, yet I cannot get the mag to seat properly. It just won't go in all the way! The magazine latch has a very stiff spring, but not that stiff.

So, my question to you fellows on this forum is this - are there different variants of the AK magazine? Are the all interchangeable, or do some work in some guns, and not others? As I said, I am well-versed with other weapons, and am no neophyte when it comes to firearms. I'm pretty sure that I am not doing anything wrong and that the gun is okay, I think it is the mag.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Post a picture of the mag it you can. It sounds like you might have a 5.45 or .223 AK mag of some variety, or possibly a VZ58 magazine

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    430 times
    Before anyone else starts let me tell you there will be some Century bashing going on. A lot of members here don’t think highly of them. Before all that starts what kind of mag is it and could you post pics of the problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1213 times
    Welcome to the group!

The nice thing about the 7.62x39 AK/AKM is that all mags from all countries work in any rifle. They are made to one standard. If the mag doesn't fit it is very possible it isn't an AK/AKM mag as stated above.

A picture would help.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A picture? Hell, I'm lucky if I can figure out how to get onto this forum - technological, I am not.

I'll try taking a picture tomorrow and posting it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How come? What's wrong with Century? Maybe there is a reason I got it at a good price....

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Could be a simple mag issue. Metal or poly mag?
    Mag well could be super tight

Member #
    Liked
    927 times
    Don't panic McBride. That rifle is one Century gun that was well made.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I solved the problem with the magazines. I called the gun store where I bought the rifle and said I had a problem with it. I took it back to the store and explained that I couldn't get the magazines to insert into the mag well. The owner trotted out out a box of miscellaneous AK mags and let me go at it. The first mag fit perfectly, as did the next four - which I bought on the spot.

So, apparently the problem was with the first two mags that he gave me when I bought the gun. He couldn't get them to fit into the mag well either. Something was wrong with those mags, what, I don't know as I didn't care to investigate further. Maybe they were designed to fit a different type of gun. All I know is that the problem is now solved, I have five perfectly functional magazines.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and proffers of help. I have thirty fine (sarcasm) Chinese steel-cased cartridges to fire, and I will be ordering brass and the dies to make my own. This is the first AK I've handled since 1977, and I am looking forward to shooting it.

Member #
    Liked
    2199 times
    What flavor of AK did you handle at the fam fire?

The first AK I got to play with in the Army was Romanian, with a dong. Loved it. Had to wait 20 years to own one like it.

Member #
    Liked
    1153 times
    Glad you got it worked out, welcome aboard.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3722 times
    The Zastava/Yugo firearms assembled from kits by Century are generally quite functional and well assembled.

Nodak Spud (NDS) or DC Industries is not who assembled the firearm but they manufactured the receiver.

The Century builds have USA made Green Mountain barrels

Generally most commbloc and Asian nagazines are inter changeable.
    There is always a chance that a small petcentage will not properly lock in place or may encounter feed problems.
    It is the exception that the magazines will not intercjage however.

Glad you have mags that lock in your AK now.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Indykid View Post
    The nice thing about the 7.62x39 AK/AKM is that all mags from all countries work in any rifle. They are made to one standard.
    If you absolutely believe that I have some real estate I'd like to sell you

I have a very nice bridge in Brooklyn, or if you'd prefer a warmer climate I also have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona.

Either property can be yours at a very good price (cash only, of course) or I can offer a discount if you take both.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors