• 4 Post By MPiKM-72
  • 1 Post By AZAK

Thread: Hornady 5.45x39 BRASS case available

Member #
    Liked
    6832 times

Hornady 5.45x39 BRASS case available

Just noticed this being available.

AZAK, JeepFan, ltdan541 and 1 others like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    WOW!!! 5.45 bolt gun, here we come!

Haven't reloaded for decades but this could push me into it. Measured a Hornady red-tip 5.45 bullet diameter at .2185-.2190", what available bullet caliber works for this and can it be found in a suitable weight/length/profile?
    Last edited by AZAK; 11-19-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Hornady has the cases listed as well, it is item #8609 for 50 units. I have previously purchased 1k blemished 545 Hornady projectiles from Midsouth. Now just need to get some cases.
    Life is not a square range, Deal with it

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5048 times
    Very good news. Finally after years of asking brass companies to please make some 5.45. I plan on picking up some of their loaded ammo.

The brass cases being offered separate has been what I've been hoping for quite some time. I've been reloading 5.45 for a bit using converted .222 Rem brass and .223 projectiles sized down to .221 with a set of Lee dies and Lee sizer.

I reload alot of other calibers so my 5.45 reloading has been a off and on project. I still need to run some ladder tests with different load combos and chrono them. So far I'm happy with the results. Having a source of dedicated brass makes life that much easier. I'm not concerned about a projectile source as I can size just about any .223 bullet which opens up a lot of possibilities. I'm also interested in looking over Hornady's load data, hopefully we'll get a new edition soon.

None of this is blasting ammo prices but for those that like the 5.45 and wish to get more accuracy/consistency out of it it's a step in the right direction.

I plan on sending Hornady an email thanking them for bringing the ammo and brass to market. Good times in the 5.45 world.
    Last edited by JeepFan; 11-19-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    I wrote to ask if they have plans to offer the standard set of reloading equipment for the 5.45.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    I wrote to ask if they have plans to offer the standard set of reloading equipment for the 5.45.
    Apparently, already coming: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011077269?pid=831875

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    believe it this is old news ( well week old anyway) I posted this below on another AK site

I ordered the set of 50 from Midway, just to have, I have the original 5.45mm lee dies from the first group buys, before this site existed, I think gunco

I have been making my own, reforming 222 cal virgin brass, I have the 223 to 221 resizer, plus a boat load of hornady 5.45mm ballistic tips

I bought these to have and I do intend on reloading them with the honady's

I had no problem reforming original jap 7.7 ammo in the 1970's converting them to boxer and reused over and over , the original step by step article for the conversion was in the mid 60's american rifleman, once grafs had 7.7 mm virgin I never reformed a case again

good luck
    Sprat- Gunco, Weaponsguild, all sig forums, K-98k forum
    Jacksprat - ar-15 forums
    Capt jack - gunboards

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post

Thanks for posting the link. Pretty funny, I received this reply from Hornady today:

"Thank you for your inquiry. As of right now, there are no plans to manufacture any components for the 5.45x39. I will forward your request to our New Product Development Group."

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    This is great news. Finally!

Member #
    Liked
    911 times
    This is awesome news. I’ve been hoping for brass and dies for years. Hornady is my favorite reloading die company, so that’s a bonus. The right hand does need to tell the left one what it’s doing though.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Picked up 200 loaded rounds.

Sponsors