Federal shorty shotshell 1-3/4"
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AK4774lvr

Thread: Federal shorty shotshell 1-3/4"

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Federal shorty shotshell 1-3/4"

Anybody play around with the new federal shorty shotshells?
    I bought a case of them to mess with.
    Quite fun to shoot!
    I bought an opsol adapter for my moss 500 and all went well for the feeding for the first two tubes full. Then the third time I loaded up I had issues with ejection on every shell. I'm thinking it might be the ejector, at least in part. My shotgun is old and worn.
    The shells are also slightly lighter than normal shells so less mass to throw clear of the gun.
    I like the concept though; it kinda reminds me of the the whole intermediate round thing. = less ammo weight and a smaller overall size so you can carry more ammo at the cost of some performance.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2082 times
    What are they packed with?

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AK4774lvr View Post
    Quite fun to shoot!
    I bought an opsol adapter for my moss 500 and all went well for the feeding for the first two tubes full. Then the third time I loaded up I had issues with ejection on every shell. I'm thinking it might be the ejector, at least in part. My shotgun is old and worn.
    The shells are also slightly lighter than normal shells so less mass to throw clear of the gun.
    I like the concept though; it kinda reminds me of the the whole intermediate round thing. = less ammo weight and a smaller overall size so you can carry more ammo at the cost of some performance.
    Those shorties rarely work well and Iv never seen an auto loader cycle one. Junk. Stick to what works and what the gun was made for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RustySnake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AK4774lvr View Post
    Quite fun to shoot!
    Those shorties rarely work well and Iv never seen an auto loader cycle one. Junk. Stick to what works and what the gun was made for.
    Like I said, they do work in my gun.
    Ran through two tubes full without a hiccup.
    But the ejection is more related to the wear on my shotgun. Because I've had other shells not eject reliably before. It's a problem that I've had here and there for a while now. Trying to fix it now.
    As far as a semiauto shotgun.
    They would have to make a purpose built one. The gas could be tuned, but there is too much space in there. These shells are basically equivalent to trap loads as far as pressure goes. You can get a saiga to function on trap loads if you tune it right.

Sponsors