Best 7.62x39 for whitetail deer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best 7.62x39 for whitetail deer

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Best 7.62x39 for whitetail deer

I have used tullammo 122 jhp on whitetail in MS they work but is there better for terminal ballistics, what do you use?

Member #
    Liked
    1291 times
    I have heard plenty of good results on the internet using the Hornady 123gr SST ballistic tip. Of course you've got to realize that some folks are using bolt action rifles like the CZ 527 for hunting. I use 6.5x55 for deer hunting.
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    54256 times
    7.62x39 SP has been used for years with successful results...the Hornady rd. is, without any doubt, far more consistent in ballistics
    pics / vid required for validation

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8825 times
    Anybody ever use Golden Tiger for hunting?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks I will have to try the hornady next season

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    154 grain Tula soft point seems to get good marks and is more consistent than most Tula, (per the conspiracy theorists).
    Cheap enough to try out and if your rifle likes it, give it a try.

The Hornady offering is top shelf along with the Fusion ammo.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they have made a difference, Marines don't have that problem,,,,,,,,,,,Ronald Reagan

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    154gr soft points are more accurate than the other cheap Russian ammos in my experience but they also drop like a rock past 100 yards. I'd personally pony up for the SST though, same weight as standard bullets and you're not gonna do a mag dump on a deer after all.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Will the 154 gr sp pass through or just an entry hole at 75yds

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasr hunter View Post
    Will the 154 gr sp pass through or just an entry hole at 75yds
    Hard to say, they get about 16 inches in ballistic gel.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Trajectory charts (when you can find them) seem to show them holding with other 7.62x39, which isn't great, but get the job done.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they have made a difference, Marines don't have that problem,,,,,,,,,,,Ronald Reagan

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I tried to see what kind of accuracy the Hornady SST gave, along with an assortment of the cheaper soft and hollowpoints, and for me at least the SST didn't group real good at 75 yards and further. Just about any grain softpoint from Tula/Wolf also grouped worse than I'd like at 75 yards and further. Some of the Holllowpoints grouped good for me though, and to date 124 grain Wolf Military Classic HP's have given me the best groups out of everything I tried, including the expensive brands. I still got a few silver bear hollowpoints but those don't shoot as good in mine as the MC. I just recently got some silver bear softpoints to try out, and after that maybe the brown bear softpoints, but if the silver bear sp's don't do it, then I'm most likely just going to end up with the Military Classics still shooting the best for me. That being said, the last 2 years I finally got some shots at deer, and I'm not sure what to think of the Military Classic HP's, effectiveness wise. Neither deer died right away. And I shot another time or two (last year 2), though the more I read up and hear from others about it, the more I'm convinced they would've expired shortly after, even without another shot.

How did the deer react to the Tula 122HP's for you? Instant death, or got back up, or didn't go down but jumped instead, etc. etc.?

Member #
    Liked
    20318 times
    APIT rounds to make sure you know you hit them, know that the bullet didn't deflect off any bones, and well slightly cook it so it's easier to prepare later.
    Andyman likes this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The show they have been hit and USUALLY don't run further than 30 yards with good shot placement none of my shots being further than 50 yards

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    The show they have been hit and USUALLY don't run further than 30 yards with good shot placement none of my shots being further than 50 yards
    I can't tell exactly how far they would've got had I not shot them again. 1st deer I shot at about 35-45 yards. First shot it jumped high in the air, tried to run off but could only walk it seems. Walked 10 yards, I shot another time, it took another step, then dropped. I'm guessing and for it's sake hoping, dead right then. Last year, I shot the deer at 30-40 yards, shot might have been a bit high, probably got lungs only, but anyways, it dropped right there, started kicking like it was just nerves twitching. It did that for 5-10 seconds, and then surprisingly got back up in a mad dash back the way it came, which fortunately was kind of towards me. I shot again as it was in mid run. Don't know if I hit it with that one though, it started climbing back up the hill and seemed to lose energy and kind of kneeled down almost, at which point I shot a 3rd time from maybe 15-20 yards away. It dropped again on it's side and kicked and that was that. The more I think and read up on it, the more I think they both were finished anyways, but the one last year I saw real late in the day so I didn't want to risk injuring it so it slowly suffered while I tried finding it. The one the year before, was my first deer, and I just shot it again cause I figured I had got nervous and shot bad. In both cases the bullets seemed to pass through, and didn't leave much of a blood trail.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Anyone hunting with 7.62x39 this year? Season opens here tomorrow. I'm going to try to make it out next week.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    I've only taken one deer with x39 with an SKS. My first deer, in fact. This was with Wolf SP ammo and I hit it the rump while it was running away from us. Nice wound channel all the way up its guts, which tore up one of the hind quarters, but didn't see that much in the way of a growing wound channel from an expanding bullet.

My guess is the HP and SP bi-metal offerings don't expand as rapidly or to as large a diameter as their lead and copper brethren.
    Last edited by towerofpower93; 11-14-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typos
    otus likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors