Best 7.62x39 for whitetail deer - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best 7.62x39 for whitetail deer

  1. #31
    Senior Member

    Member #
    50082
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Roseto Pennsylvania
    Posts
    529
    Liked
    227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    Unless you literally destroy the brain or sever the spinal cord with the first shot, you're never going to instantly drop any animal. It will at minimum make it a few steps before it collapses. Even the perfect shot of the heart and both lungs will still leave a little blood in circulation which is enough to allow the body to function for a few seconds, at least until the animal reacts to its lungs filling up with blood and its brain runs out of oxygen leading to loss of consciousness.
    Do you hunt much?
    Andyman likes this.

  2. #32
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    457
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    Unless you literally destroy the brain or sever the spinal cord with the first shot, you're never going to instantly drop any animal. It will at minimum make it a few steps before it collapses. Even the perfect shot of the heart and both lungs will still leave a little blood in circulation which is enough to allow the body to function for a few seconds, at least until the animal reacts to its lungs filling up with blood and its brain runs out of oxygen leading to loss of consciousness.
    I guess let me rephrase myself on that, to include either instant permanent drop if possible with lung/heart shots, or basically less than 30 feet travel/a few seconds of struggle trying to just "shake it off" afterwards. Something to let me know their death will only be a matter of a few seconds, and there's no need to shoot at them any more to speed things up for their sake. That I've not yet accomplished.

    I did get my first one to drop for good just a few steps after shot #2, but not #1, which is what I'd rather have happen. My 2nd one I thought I got that done with shot #1, when it all of a sudden got back up and tried to run for it. I think that one was probably the most sure one so far, but nonetheless, it got back up and seemed to have some serious energy at first when it tried to run for it, so I put 2 more rounds in it. Granted in all those cases I used bullets that I should've known weren't going to expand so I'm really hoping these would do the job much better.
    Last edited by Haris122; 11-03-2019 at 09:44 AM.

  3. #33
    Senior Member

    Member #
    60509
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    310
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maus45 View Post
    Do you hunt much?
    Its basic knowledge of biology.

    Same reason why a human can get shot multiple times fatally but still keep going for a while. It takes time for the body to react to damage. Not much in the case of heart and lungs being shot through, we're talking a couple seconds max. but a lot can still happen in that little amount of time. Deer are not slow animals.

    Maybe deer have been dropped truly instantly before, but I highly doubt it. Its not a stretch for someone to shoot a deer, see it stumble a little and say it 'dropped instantly', when in reality it made it a little ways.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Senior Member

    Member #
    60509
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    310
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haris122 View Post
    I did get my first one to drop for good just a few steps after shot #2, but not #1, which is what I'd rather have happen. My 2nd one I thought I got that done with shot #1, when it all of a sudden got back up and tried to run for it. I think that one was probably the most sure one so far, but nonetheless, it got back up and seemed to have some serious energy at first when it tried to run for it, so I put 2 more rounds in it. Granted in all those cases I used bullets that I should've known weren't going to expand so I'm really hoping these would do the job much better.

    Well another possible solution is to let the deer bleed out once its dropped before approaching it.

    My hunter's ed teacher recommended leaving any large animal that you dropped alone for 30 minutes before approaching. That way, if it was fatally wounded but still alive you wouldn't spook it and make it keep running while it still could. Less likelihood of losing the animal and less stress in the meat. 30 minutes seems excessive to me, but the concept is solid.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

  6. #35
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6231
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steel Wool City
    Posts
    7,612
    Liked
    7260 times
    Tula 154 grain softpoints are what is in my chamber this season.

    Heading back to the woods shortly. I can only hunt does until November 17th in the Texas county I'm hunting.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 11-18-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    scottyb, AK shooter and otus like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

    BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

    WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

  7. #36
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    457
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post

    Well another possible solution is to let the deer bleed out once its dropped before approaching it.

    My hunter's ed teacher recommended leaving any large animal that you dropped alone for 30 minutes before approaching. That way, if it was fatally wounded but still alive you wouldn't spook it and make it keep running while it still could. Less likelihood of losing the animal and less stress in the meat. 30 minutes seems excessive to me, but the concept is solid.
    Yeah I didn’t approach any of them right away, it just so happened that they tried getting away from there right away after being shot. I’m actually heading out today for final sighting in with the hunting rounds, so we’ll see which ones I end up with while in the woods. From the videos I’ve seen, I feel pretty good about both Powershock and Fusion performing well. The pointed PPU I haven’t found anything like a ballistic gel video on. I’ve read several good reviews about it, but have also been told by someone on a hunting forum that they didn’t expand for them on a deer.
    Last edited by Haris122; 11-07-2019 at 08:56 AM.

  8. #37
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    457
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Tula 154 grain softpoints are what is in my chamber this season.

    Heading back to the woods shortly. I can only hunt does until November 15th in the Texas county I'm hunting.
    Have you had any first hand experience with how they performed? If they mushroomed consistently and that kind of stuff? I remember trying them before but I feel like I didn’t like the way they grouped or something to that nature. Plus big question is if they or any of the other steel cased softpoints would consistently mushroom. I remember seeing gel tests that seemed to go both ways. In some they would in others they didn’t. Of course hard to really tell what they’d do on average with just 1 shot to judge it off.

    Our rifle season here starts on the 16th. Antlerless lasts a few days and is usually a week or two after the main one closes. For the first time in 5 or more years, I’m actually off for opening weekend. Though since I hunt public land it’s a bit of a double edged sword, since a bunch of other people will probably be out there with me.
    Last edited by Haris122; 11-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.

  9. #38
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6231
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steel Wool City
    Posts
    7,612
    Liked
    7260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haris122 View Post
    Have you had any first hand experience with how they performed? If they mushroomed consistently and that kind of stuff? I remember trying them before but I feel like I didn’t like the way they grouped or something to that nature. Plus big question is if they or any of the other steel cased softpoints would consistently mushroom. I remember seeing gel tests that seemed to go both ways. In some they would in others they didn’t. Of course hard to really tell what they’d do on average with just 1 shot to judge it off.

    Our rifle season here starts on the 16th. Antlerless lasts a few days and is usually a week or two after the main one closes. For the first time in 5 or more years, I’m actually off for opening weekend. Though since I hunt public land it’s a bit of a double edged sword, since a bunch of other people will probably be out there with me.
    I don't yet have the personal experience with the 154 gr expansion, but I bought some to try based on the findings of an experienced hog hunter who noted how the 154 gr SP really seemed to put hogs down better than 123 grain.

    In my case the 154 gr SP is impressively accurate. The first round impact on the lower left was the first shot with 154 gr though the rifle was zeroed with Hornady 123 gr SP. The off paper hit in the photo is my friend's rifle.

    I adjusted a bit too high for the next group - the two higher marked hits of 154 gr SP.

    Did the math and brought it down to "just right" - the two unmarked hits in the center.

    This was just a quick rezero before heading out for a hunt.

    Unfortunately the does just weren't moving in my two stand areas, but my best friend did get a doe about 300 yards from my stand location last Thursday. Doe season is over for me.



    Pic of the rifle taken on a hog hunt earlier this year. Surefire light is handy when tracking hogs. Light is removed for deeyah huntin.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 11-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

    BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

    WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

  10. #39
    Senior Member

    Member #
    10924
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Freeland, MI
    Posts
    2,899
    Liked
    210 times
    If you want a more instant kill, use a more powerful round. I hunt with 8 mm Mauser every year because I like some forgiveness in my shots and I want them to die quickly unless I do something very wrong. I would consider 7.62x39 for a unique hunt every once in a while, but if you are a new hunter and are having issues with wounding deer vs killing them, it sounds like you need something with more oomph and possibly better shot placement. A couple of your shots sounded off from what you described in the past.

    Hunting with an AK is cool, sure, but you have to realize it is at the lower end of what many consider acceptable for deer and there is a reason for that.

    Good luck and good hunting!
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

  11. #40
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    457
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Hunting with an AK is cool, sure, but you have to realize it is at the lower end of what many consider acceptable for deer and there is a reason for that.

    Good luck and good hunting!
    Thanks. While I know it’s not the most powerful of rounds, honestly I think it should be able to do the job just fine out to a 100 if not even 150 yards. Hear plenty of people take deer with 223 even and drop them right there. As I’m typing this I’m sitting somewhere where I probably couldn’t even get a clear shot past 70 yards if that. And currently the ones I did get were all under 50. Shot placement I definitely F’d up on my last one. But the 2nd deer, while maybe not a heart shot I would bet money on still being very good placement. How that thing got back up and ran from me is beyond me but as other people mentioned to me, I think that one had to be an adrenaline thing, coupled with ammo that didn’t seem to expand. Had I not shot again I think it wouldn’t have made it far still. But it was late and I couldn’t tell what exactly happened so I decided to play it safe. The 1st deer, where exactly the first shot hit I’m not 100% sure on anymore, but if it wouldn’t have done the job shortly the 2nd did, cause it didn’t make it more than a few yards after that one. Again, I wasn’t sure what happened but I decided to play it safe. I really think with those 2 it was a matter of the round going in and out without expanding much if at all, so the incapacitation was not immediate. I’d like to find out for sure this year since I have better ammo but I’m on my 5th day of being in the woods and I’m having a hell of a time even seeing any. Saw 4 of them on my 3rd day and each time they saw me first and bolted. Every other day so far has been me just sitting in the woods.

  12. #41
    Member

    Member #
    4792
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    15 times
    It’s just as powerful as the .30-30 round. I’ve been fiddling with the 123gr and IMR 4227 to find a decent combo. I’ve tried casting with tumble lube and powder coated boolits. I’ve also tried the Winchester SP 2-3 MOA which grouped much better than the cast 5-6 MOA.

    What I don’t like it the brass takes a nasty dent when it ejects from my sks test weapon.

    I’ve not tried a FMJ load as I’m more interested in finding a suitable replacement for commercial hunting rounds at .50-.75 a pop.

  13. #42
    Senior Member

    Member #
    58841
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    193
    Liked
    76 times
    I use Nosler Armageddon 123’s very accurate and WOW expansion
    Attached Images
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

  14. #43
    Member

    Member #
    4792
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    15 times
    I tried some of those for 300 blackout, very pricey. I never could get a good accurate round developed for that platform, 2-3MOA tops.

    I save a ton by casting and using recycled brass . Sometimes if I’m lucky I’ll find some once fired brass at the range for sale.

  15. #44
    Senior Member

    Member #
    58841
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    193
    Liked
    76 times
    I’ve had pretty good luck with them, for back yard fun it’s hard to beat wolf etc I’ve searched and searched for my dollar steel case for play. I’ll use my good stuff when good stuff is needed, I have also been told by the few friends I know that actually use a 7.62 that the old soft points work awesome. I have a few hundred of those bullets stashed away for a rainy day

  16. #45
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    457
    Liked
    56 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shortround1991 View Post
    I have also been told by the few friends I know that actually use a 7.62 that the old soft points work awesome. I have a few hundred of those bullets stashed away for a rainy day
    Which brand old soft points are your friends talking about? The regular steel cased russian soft points or some other kind? From what I’ve seen with the few gel test videos on them, none or almost none of the steel cased russian soft points were any good for expansion, unfortunately. Last season I tested a number of different brands for accuracy but I didn’t buy me much of any particular kind so before I made it out in the woods I was scrounging for stuff at bass pro and cabelas. At bass pro I came across what I think were winchester soft points but packaged for bass pro under the herters brand. Those seemed to group decent, but I never did get a shot all season, so I can’t say much on terminal performance. Every damn time I saw a deer in the public land woods I was hunting, they wound up seeing me first and booking it.
    Last edited by Haris122; 03-03-2020 at 09:45 PM.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Pictures and Info on your Whitetail this season
    By cazzman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
  2. 7.62x39 on deer
    By 390ish in forum Ammunition & Reloading
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
  3. Who here hunts white tail deer with 7.62x39??
    By sickmak90 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
  4. Performance of 7.62x39 on deer
    By cfish in forum SHTF and Survival Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Search tags for this page

154 grain tula soft point for deer

,

ak deer ammo best

,

difference between 122

,

tula 154 vs deer

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread