7.62x39 ammo what is your favorite or does it matter? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 ammo what is your favorite or does it matter?

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    Neat! Where did you get the Yugo tracer?
    I think a guy found a case on the files the crate was labeled wrong so it came here by accident and he sold it off by the box and I will say it'd be one expensive star wars reinactment

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniang View Post
    I think a guy found a case on the files the crate was labeled wrong so it came here by accident and he sold it off by the box and I will say it'd be one expensive star wars reinactment
    Correct!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12549 times
    Very cool!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniang View Post
    I wish I would have bought a box or two just to have with that being said yugo has my vote is just very cool and good ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Bringing an old thread back but one that I think still has a theme that applies.

My normal steel cased go-to over the years has been the 124 grain wolf military classic. Last 4 years or so it’s been specifically hollowpoints since the manned ranges I go to have prohibited fmj ammo that reacts to magnets.

I feel like over the course of all the different stuff I’ve kept buying over the years, the military classic has given me the best consistent accuracy from year to year. A lot of the other brands have done close to, or as good as, at some point or another, but for some reason it feels like they inevitable drop in consistency more than the wmc over the long term.

I’d be interested to see someone on youtube do some well thought-out footage comparing performance between different lots of the same type of ammo over a certain amount of time. Take a bunch of different steel-cased ammo brands and compare consistency between lots of the same stuff to see how much consistency varies over time by brand.

I will also say as far as worst ammo I’ve tried, I have had 2 that were really bad. Last year I had bought me a 100 pack of some of that red army standard 8V3 HP made by Vympel to try out, and at 100 yards Not only was there no pattern but even half the rounds weren’t even on paper. I took it to 25 yards to figure out what was going on and noticed no real pattern again, along with several keyholes in the paper. Aside from that I tried some stuff 5-6 years back when all that ammo hoarding was going on, that allegedly was russian with the bullet pulled and new one put in, and that was again, just horrible. Even at 25 yards it looked like they were all over. With the 8v3 there were at least key holes to explain what might be going on, but with this stuff there wasn’t any of that. Just consistently shitty.
    Last edited by Haris122; 02-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    WASR77 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12549 times
    I've had decent luck with RAS, but I do consider it range ammo only.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    I've had decent luck with RAS, but I do consider it range ammo only.
    I think I’ve shot some regular RAS before that worked out fine but something about these 100 rounds of 8V3 did not work right with my rifle. Whether they had slightly undersized bullets or a combination of slightly undersized bullet with a barrel just worn enough or who knows what. Thankfully I haven’t noticed key holes from any other ammo so hopefully it was all on the 8V3 bullet and nothing to do with my barrel. Either way, I’m glad I didn’t get a full case of 1000 right of the bat before I tried out that 8V3 in a small batch first.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4118 times
    I've been meaning to do a thread on how shitty the GECO brass-cased ammo is. [The only plus is ending up with a reloadable brass case.] Horrible accuracy, I've compared it with most steel case cartridges in several guns and its just about always the worst performer. Shot some last week through the new 2 Rivers DMR in a comparison with Brown Bear and it didn't even come close, noting that the Brown Bear compares very favorably - better than most - with other steel-cased ammo types (including Golden Tiger), and I've noticed that through the Howa 7.62x39 bolt gun too.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I took my M70 out along with some pistols to a range nearby yesterday. After I got done with the pistols, I put the target up to 25 yards (as far as it went) and shot the magazines of various steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. I had some of the green box “mil spec” wolf softpoints, and either regular wolf or wolf mc hollowpoints without the lacquer, both of which shot decent. But in-between those two, I also shot some Golden Tiger I had from a few years back. In the past (a few years back) golden tiger shot fine, but this time, when I checked out the target I noticed the rounds all over, and with a number of keyholed ones too. Very much like the 8V3 from earlier last year.

So, here’s my question, if the bullet diameter of the vympel made rounds isn’t unusually small in comparison to the other rounds, could the boat tail bullet design be the reason why these rounds are performing like shit, and if so, why just now?

Is it some weird combination of the barrel wearing out and the boat-tail design being more sensitive to that, or what?

Anyways, thanks for any ideas.

Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    I suppose in theory it could be that as the boat tail design has less % of its surface area in contact with the rifling vs a normal bullet. Flat ended or hollowed ended bullets probably conform to the rifling better. Its just the boat tail helps once the bullet has left the barrel.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    Golden Tiger has my vote...

Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Iíve had bad luck with RAS. I get stuck cases. I prefer Golden Tiger above anything. Second choice is Wolf or Barnaul.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Golden tiger for range, 8M3 for defense. Both for stockpiling.

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    The 125.00 a case ammo. But I like the M67 Yugo ammo for some reason.

20191229_124923.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors