Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dnepr0mike
  • 1 Post By JeepFan

Thread: Trunnion rivet holes

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Trunnion rivet holes

I just ordered a receiver it does not already have the holes drilled for the front and rear trunnion rivets. What is the best place to find a jig or tool for drilling these?

Member #
    Liked
    715 times
    AK Trunnion Rivet Hole Drilling Fixture

although strictly speaking you don't need it. just press the barrel into trunnion, chuck barrel into vice, line up drill/spindle with the trunnion hole, fix the vise to the drill table so it doesn't move. slide receiver shell over trunnion until it bottoms out against lower rails and then drill a hole in a receiver. rinse and repeat for all holes. small tip: drill a small hole first with a small drill bit then pen it up with a larger ones to final diameter. use cutting oil and low speed- receivers are hard.

as far as rear trunnion you can use a piece of 2x4 to screw trunnion sideways and chuck that into vice and repeat the exercise same way as for the front trunnion.
    JeepFan and AKBLUE like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Many ways to get the job done. I've been working on some of those MD-65 Romanian kits that were available from AOA. Picked up some Polish "80%" receivers and Windham melonite barrels. They are building up nicely. I still need to weld over the Polish selector markings and add proper Romanian stencils from Weaponmark.

When I started out building I found a post about this method. It's basically you make your own template. All you need is your receiver and trunnion, some masking tape and a center punch. Also you need whatever your drilling with. I wish I could remember the source to give them credit.

I just snapped some quick cell phone pics,

Trunnion taped. Rub it on good. You can easily see the "shadow" of the trunnion holes

Trunnion in receiver, and homemade template applied. I usually use a pencil to mark the approximate centers before punching and drilling a pilot hole.

Drilled and rivets installed.

This has always worked well for me on front trunnions but even more so on more complicated rear trunnions, like side folders and underfolders. As dnepr0mike posted above, drill a small pilot hole first. You may be off a little and can always open it up with a larger bit or a dremmel tool.
    Last edited by JeepFan; 07-09-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Wrong source of kits.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The tape method works well but its hard to beat the AKB trunnion drilling jig. You have to do a total of 4 setups to get all six holes. You also have to make sure the trunnion fits on/off easily.

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Jeep you are folding the tape up before sliding trunnion into receiver and then folding down after checking mag fit and drilling? I think I saw that one of ginsboy(?) It works good. I like AK builders screw set up for trigger guard and slide trunnion in until the mag feels just right when you slide it in. That is one of my favorite parts of the build using 80%. You know you are getting somewhere.

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    I had to correct my post above. These are the AOA MD-65 not the Midway kits, I haven't started on those yet.

Longshot, it might have been the Ginsboy videos, it's been a long time.

For the template I carefully lift it up making sure not to move it then insert it in the trunnion and lay it back down. Again I would recommend you drill small first as it will probably be off a little.

Without going into a full description on what mods the Polish receiver in post #3 needed, before drilling anything or making the template I used a C-clamp to secure the trunnion and checked mag fitment with a few various mags. It needed a little material removed from the rear of the magwell.

The tape template sure made cutting the underfolding trunnion much easier on these.

Longshot1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    I had to correct my post above. These are the AOA MD-65 not the Midway kits, I haven't started on those yet.

Longshot, it might have been the Ginsboy videos, it's been a long time.

For the template I carefully lift it up making sure not to move it then insert it in the trunnion and lay it back down. Again I would recommend you drill small first as it will probably be off a little.

Without going into a full description on what mods the Polish receiver in post #3 needed, before drilling anything or making the template I used a C-clamp to secure the trunnion and checked mag fitment with a few various mags. It needed a little material removed from the rear of the magwell.

The tape template sure made cutting the underfolding trunnion much easier on these.

Jeep you been busy. I have me a little work area set up and starting to get in a bit of a groove if I don't get side tracked. AMD's or Romy UF's?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot1 View Post
    Jeep you been busy. I have me a little work area set up and starting to get in a bit of a groove if I don't get side tracked. AMD's or Romy UF's?

Those are Romy's w reverse dongs

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 2KTX View Post
    Those are Romy's w reverse dongs
    Forward or reverse....got to love the Romy dong.

Pretty sure my Midway kits are all forward dong. More dong kit building pics in the future.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    Forward or reverse....got to love the Romy dong.

Pretty sure my Midway kits are all forward dong. More dong kit building pics in the future.

Man we used to use them for firewood back in the G kit days. I am getting to that point now that it seems like every damn kit has a dong with it now.

Sponsors