got two problem ak builds
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: got two problem ak builds

Member #
    Liked
    559 times

got two problem ak builds

Both are Romanian original barreled G kits. I have them both assembled first one will close on bolt alone with headspace gage as it should for go and no go. The bolt and carrier will close ( I had some issues with binding and found the spots that were rubbing and filed them till no longer made marks.) What happens to this is once you put a dummy or real round in chamber bolt and carrier will not close same distance as if using a no go about 1/4 inch or so. After cycling this and cleaning up rubbing spots still have this problem. Will not close on gage or rounds in the chamber have to mallet it back open. once round is removed from chamber bolt and gage no problem or bolt and carrier no round goes fine. Any ideas??? I also had to straighten up gas cylinder as it was cocked from factory thought that might have contributed to drag on gas piston.

The second G kit functions fine except when bolt comes back it catches and you have to hit the bolt handle down to make it go back to closed. I fired a couple single rds to test fire and this was the result would stick back about half way.

These kits were as new metal except the small parts in one of the kits were rusted and pitted bad enough not to use them both of the butt stocks were turned white from being wet with original finish in bad shape. The bolts had no marks on them guns looked as new but they sure look like they were exposed to bad storage on butt stock sand the one package of small parts seems crazy to think these came this way without damage to the rest of the kit.

added photos you can see fine with bolt and gages or fine with nothing in chamber bolt and carrier go forward to battery. once a cartridge or gage is added its not going forward. The receiver is a AK builder flat also I have done well over 50 builds this is a new one on me.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by howiebearse; 03-02-2020 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add photos
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Post pics

Member #
    Liked
    116 times
    Good old Romy G! can't be too bad.

1.) What receivers did you build these on? Explain what needed to be filed. You checked headspace with and without carrier correct? How about the ejector, was it checked, trimmed if needed? As asked^^^ photos.

2.) FCG used? assuming everything is assembled correctly, dose the carrier move freely ?
    "America does not need to see the tax return of a billionaire who became a public servant.
    America needs to see the tax returns of public servants who became millionaires while being public servants"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    first photo is bolt with go gage- second is bolt with no go gage- third is bolt and carrier nothing in chamber- forth is bolt and carrier with go gage in chamber also does same with chinese dummy round in chamber. Receiver is AK Builder flat and remember kits were numbers matching with original barrels. I have done well over 50 builds this is first one like this crazy problem. gages are East German The second ak is all fixed
    Last edited by howiebearse; 03-02-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    I suspect you already looked into this, but from my limited building experience, I'm going to ask if you filed the bullet guide into a brief inclining ramp any, as well?

Reason I ask is cause my first build, if I remember correctly (been a long time) had a binding issue somewhat like what you're describing, and I think what wound up fixing it, was filing a little bit of a more gradual angle into the back end of the bullet guide (the end at the magwell). So that for a brief amount it climbed up like a ramp until it flattened all the way out just a bit further up the bullet guide. That's about the only hands-on related guess from my experience that I can make. Still probably wouldn't explain a dummy round not closing if it didn't have anything to do with being picked up from the magwell to begin with though.
    Last edited by Haris122; 03-02-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    I have been inserting rounds by hand. So it is not a feed ramp issue I also did some hand fitting where I could see binding on the parts I put majic marker on them and saw where the parts wer binding and fixed those issues. As I say this is a odd one. Thanks for the post much appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    The last problem could be the bolt carrier getting hung up on the trigger group. But its just a guess at this point.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I only see three pics not four. Your second sentence "first one will close on bolt alone with headspace gage as it should for go and no go". The bolt should definitely not close on the no-go.

Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Check the locking lugs in the front trunnion to see if they are square with each other or check the bolt locking lugs also. I had an old romy rpk kit that was heavily used the locking lugs in the front trunnion were not machined the same depth to each other making them not square with one another. Or just heavily worn out of soec. The bolt would close only when it was out of the carrier because it could cam cock sideways a bit. Threw me for a loop since i set headspace with the bolt not in the carrier. Then when i put the bolt in the carrier to check headspace again i couldnt get it to close on go or live rounds.

when you cam the bolt in on the go gauge does the rear most point on the bolt where the hammer strikes is it centered in the reciever. Mine would be off to one side a noticable amount. Just an idea of something to check.
    Last edited by NXCHESTER; 03-05-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    working in that direction now tried different bolts same problems or worse. Working on the trunion area now.

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    Tried another bolt and carrier in the receiver it locked up before going into battery. What I think is best now is to junk the receiver and start over. Something is out of line and the cartridge when in the chamber is hitting on the edges of the bolt face and cannot line up in bolt face to allow bolt to close.

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    How hard do you have the hit the bolt carrier for it to come down? I’ve also seen this usually a little love on the hammer does the trick

Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Also with the hammer removed does the bolt slide back and forth down the rails smooth? I just did a Hungarian build that the bolt for whatever reason was tight a little fine stone fitting took care of the issue for me

Member #
    Liked
    5519 times
    Let me ask you this
    Have you checked that your gas tube is properly seated?
    I had one that didn’t and it gave me fits .... cycle it with the tube removed.

Member #
    Liked
    559 times
    Finally figured it was something I could not see that was misaligned. I demilled the damn thing and built up another receiver all is well now. I really appreciate all the help from you guys that's what these boards are all about.
    AdmiralAKbar likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors