Getting set up to build 3 kits

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Getting set up to build 3 kits

I am working on getting set up to build 3 am kits I have had laying around for a few years now. Have a 20 ton press, but looking for drill press recommendations and any other tools I’ll need. Looked at the jig set from akbuilder. Prolly going to see if I can buy it second hand. $500 seemed a little high just to use on 3 builds. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    I use the cheap 5-speed Harbor Freight press and it works fine. Just use good drill bits. The bits from AK-builder work great.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Used Drill press show up all the time on our local classified ads like Delta and the older Sears drill presses, here is one that showed up this week.....
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/59072515 https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/59057314
    Last edited by packrat; 02-24-2020 at 01:56 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    HARBOR FREIGHT Has some pretty good drill presses. I had the top of the line and the second from the top. Both are excellent especially for the money you pay for them. I see the exact same drill presses (same manufacturer) rebranded and sold for much more. I had one issue which was a broken oil collection bottle (damaged in shipping or unloading). Took it into harbor freight and they've me a new one from the display unit. It does come in handy along with the oil feed tube. Anyway you can't o wrong. BUT get high quality bits. Thats a must regardless of drill press you get.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    I have a old harbor freight drill press that was handed down to me. It stays in my man cave room now that I may sell as I bought a Mill a few weeks ago. Don’t be afraid to go Harbor Freight though for the money there hard to beat prices with my press being probably 10-15 years old and still works like a charm. As far as build tools, I bought the AK trigger riveting tool, the receiver blank drilling fixture( V4 ) and that is it. All the other tools I was able to make from scrap metal from rivet tools to my barrel removal and installation tool. Here’s a pic of a few of the tools I made for riveting and I also use a motorcycle master link rivet tool with great success
    Attached Images

Sponsors