PAK9 buffer question.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times

    Question PAK9 buffer question.

    I just ordered the PAK9 pistol and read where you cannot brace it on your shoulder. So I was looking at a padded buffer tube by phase 5 and was wondering if I need some kind of adapter? All the adapters I found where sold out, is there another way I can add on this buffer? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17427
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    11,545
    Liked
    8569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    I just ordered the PAK9 pistol and read where you cannot brace it on your shoulder. So I was looking at a padded buffer tube by phase 5 and was wondering if I need some kind of adapter? All the adapters I found where sold out, is there another way I can add on this buffer? Thanks
    That rule has been rescended maybe a year or two ago but it's just a ruling so it can change again at any time. Not sure if buffer tube would be any different.

    My personal opinion. It isn't worth the headache

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    Well what I was thinking it would be easier for me to handle, I'm short and have short arms. Plus it would be better against my cheek to brace it. Don't know about that ruling cause I asked a question on a brace from a company and the guy asked me if I sent in my 200.00 and paperworks cause it's illegal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    That rule has been rescended maybe a year or two ago but it's just a ruling so it can change again at any time. Not sure if buffer tube would be any different.

    My personal opinion. It isn't worth the headache

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17427
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    11,545
    Liked
    8569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    Well what I was thinking it would be easier for me to handle, I'm short and have short arms. Plus it would be better against my cheek to brace it. Don't know about that ruling cause I asked a question on a brace from a company and the guy asked me if I sent in my 200.00 and paperworks cause it's illegal.
    Not sure who you asked but that's if you're making an SBR. Completely different. That's taking a rifle and shortening the barrel

  6. #5
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    20200212_203900.jpgOk I guess I'm going in a different direction, the gunsmith at where I bought the PAK9 said having an arm brace would be better , now my question is do I need a buffer tube to install a arm brace. Enclosed pic is what is on the end of my gun20200212_203900.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Not sure who you asked but that's if you're making an SBR. Completely different. That's taking a rifle and shortening the barrel
    Last edited by debgram; 02-12-2020 at 07:53 PM.

  7. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    3722
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    5,889
    Liked
    967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by debgram View Post
    Ok I guess I'm going in a different direction, the gunsmith at where I bought the PAK9 said having an arm brace would be better , now my question is do I need a buffer tube to install a arm brace. Enclosed pic is what is on the end of my gun
    Having an arm brace isn't better than having a SBR. That said, many don't find the NFA hassle and $200 worth the difference between the two. In answer to your question, it depends on the type of arm brace you're getting. If it's the kind that goes on a buffer tube, then yes. You'll need a tube. The one tube I have like that came with the brace fixed in place with a screw. There may be some sort of regulation about that, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

  8. #7
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    so that pic of what's at the end of my gun is the adapter for the brace, now which brace pictured here is what would fit on that adapter?2020-02-13_16h48_52.png

    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Having an arm brace isn't better than having a SBR. That said, many don't find the NFA hassle and $200 worth the difference between the two. In answer to your question, it depends on the type of arm brace you're getting. If it's the kind that goes on a buffer tube, then yes. You'll need a tube. The one tube I have like that came with the brace fixed in place with a screw. There may be some sort of regulation about that, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

  9. #8
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17427
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    11,545
    Liked
    8569 times
    That contraption on the end of your firearm looks like it's for a tube. The second pic you posted above will probably work assuming it's the same thread and proper diameter

  10. #9
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    that's the PAK-9 AR Pistol Buffer Tube Adaptor Charles Daly says that's for the buffer and arm brace

    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    That contraption on the end of your firearm looks like it's for a tube. The second pic you posted above will probably work assuming it's the same thread and proper diameter

  11. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    26394
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    104
    Liked
    17 times

    Braces

    Looks like the same adaptor on my PAK9.
    I run an SBA3 brace. It uses a std. AR buffer tube (Included) and is adjustable.
    The Tailhook mod 2 is also a great brace, it is also adjustable but uses a proprietary tube that fits any AR or AR adaptor like yours.
    KAK also has several cheaper options. I ran a few blade braces.
    most braces come with a buffer tube.

    basically three options for a buffer tube.
    The round pistol buffer tube which can be used as is or with a brace. The KAK blade uses a round pistol buffer tube but their buffer tube also has dimples in it for the set screw. All the SB fixed braces like the SOB use a round pistol tube.
    The std. carbine buffer tube and an SBA3 or SBA4, or a KAK Shockwave M2. All these are adjustable by hand just like an M4 stock.
    A proprietary tube like the Tailhook mod 2. Only works on the mod 2.

    A brace is not a stock. Adding a brace doesnít change the status of your pistol, itís still a pistol. And per the ATF, OK to shoulder.
    Be aware that the ATF has stated that modifying a brace isnít allowed. One letter specifically says not OK to remove the Velcro strap from an SB brace, because thatís how it comes from the manufacturer. BUT thereís lots of other braces that donít come with Velcro, and thatís OK too.
    Last edited by wanderson; 02-20-2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Add info

  12. #11
    Junior Member

    Member #
    65901
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Lima, OH
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info I will look into those.


    Quote Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
    Looks like the same adaptor on my PAK9.
    I run an SBA3 brace. It uses a std. AR buffer tube (Included) and is adjustable.
    The Tailhook mod 2 is also a great brace, it is also adjustable but uses a proprietary tube that fits any AR or AR adaptor like yours.
    KAK also has several cheaper options. I ran a few blade braces.
    most braces come with a buffer tube.

    basically three options for a buffer tube.
    The round pistol buffer tube which can be used as is or with a brace. The KAK blade uses a round pistol buffer tube but their buffer tube also has dimples in it for the set screw. All the SB fixed braces like the SOB use a round pistol tube.
    The std. carbine buffer tube and an SBA3 or SBA4, or a KAK Shockwave M2. All these are adjustable by hand just like an M4 stock.
    A proprietary tube like the Tailhook mod 2. Only works on the mod 2.

    A brace is not a stock. Adding a brace doesn’t change the status of your pistol, it’s still a pistol. And per the ATF, OK to shoulder.
    Be aware that the ATF has stated that modifying a brace isn’t allowed. One letter specifically says not OK to remove the Velcro strap from an SB brace, because that’s how it comes from the manufacturer. BUT there’s lots of other braces that don’t come with Velcro, and that’s OK too.

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.