Drill Bit and Reamer Alternatives

Member #
    Liked
    92 times

Drill Bit and Reamer Alternatives

I’m in need of a 7mm reamer as I gave mine to a buddy a while back, but I don’t really want to buy the 5mm and 7mm combo pack from Ak builder again, as I still have my 5mm reamer. Plus the shipping costs.

It’s no surprise that the 7mm yankee 433 style straight fluted reamer (what Ak builder sells) is sold out on amazon. I doub’t they know why though.

Has anyone used another brand of reamer from amazon with success? I know it must have a solid shank, none of that jobber business where it meets the chuck or it will wobble like crazy.

Also, anybody know of alternatives regarding drill bits, I wore all of my 3mm and 4mm bits out. I’ve tried Home Depot drill bits of the same size and as soon as I saw the wobble decided there’s no way they’re going near my rifle. Jobber bits can go to hell.

Perhaps there are no good alternatives, but I thought I’d ask.

On a side note, I purchased a set of 1-10mm end mill bits and they work great for drilling the barrel pin. I purchased a 6.5 separately. Once you step it up to 6.5mm, just run the 7mm through it and your good. It makes biting the curved side of the barrel so much easier. I’ll post a link to that tomorrow.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Clarification, I used the 6.5mm end mill bit, then went straight to a 7mm reamer.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    I'm sure there are other online sources but I go directly to McMaster Carr for all my drill bit, reamers . Check them out, they almost always have things on my doorstep in two days.
    Also if your going to enjoy building for a while consider stocking up on the most common items this way more of your hard earned cash goes to product and less to shipping.
    Have a look at what they offer.
    "America does not need to see the tax return of a billionaire who became a public servant.
    America needs to see the tax returns of public servants who became millionaires while being public servants"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8853 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GTPI View Post
    Also if your going to enjoy building for a while consider stocking up on the most common items this way more of your hard earned cash goes to product and less to shipping.
    This. I don’t buy singles anymore. Drill bits I buy in bulk. You just go through them so fast if your building especially if your demilling. McMaster, Amazon, and other places have decent selections of metric drill bits.

Also, dont go off of price. In the way of consumable tooling, you get what you pay for.

Member #
    Liked
    5519 times
    https://www.mscdirect.com/ProductsHomeView

I also search Ebay for tooling quite often

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Thanks for the input, I’ve heard McMaster Carr mentioned several times before, I need to check them out.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    What size should the rear trunnion long rivet holes be on a Romy md63. My Ak builder long rivets are 4.4mm and I thought the receiver holes were supposed to be 4mm which is what my buddy drilled them to.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincymaga View Post
    What size should the rear trunnion long rivet holes be on a Romy md63. My Ak builder long rivets are 4.4mm and I thought the receiver holes were supposed to be 4mm which is what my buddy drilled them to.
    4.5mm bit works well for long rivets, short rivets use 5/32 / 4mm
    "America does not need to see the tax return of a billionaire who became a public servant.
    America needs to see the tax returns of public servants who became millionaires while being public servants"

Sponsors