Sucesses and failures of a first build - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 20 of 20
  1. #16
    Senior Member

    Member #
    8659
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    8 times
    Made some good progress today. Got the remaining rear trunnion rivets installed. I decided to just go for it on the one that goes through the scope rail and see what happens. Turned out great on the first try. So I think what is going on is not so much the radius of the tool opens on but more how much of the tail is protruding unsupported. Maybe this means I need to be more aware of the tool angle with respect to the work, I'm not sure. In any case for the other side I just trimmed the rivet down to .54" OAL and that made it a bit easier but still left enough material to form. I still had issues with it wanting to bend over, but I caught that it was doing it early enough that I stopped and was able to spin it 180 degrees in the hole and set it the rest of the way. Its still not perfect but good enough that it could be evened up with a file if I decide to.

    The front rivet for the rail went in with no problems, but the middle one is a problem. The geometry of the rail is a bit different than on the AKM rail that AK Builder sells. The gap is narrower and has a taper to it. I didn't notice this until today and I mistakenly assumed that you could use the toth tool on it since I'd seen mel64d do it in a video a while back. Upon reviewing it I realized that the AKM rail that spot is flat with a wider cutout so you're able to get the tool in on those but not on the 74 rails. So now I gotta figure what to do about that rivet. It's always something haha.

    Also cleaned out the bore today as I forgot to do it when degreasing the other parts. I didn't have a container big enough to fit the barrel assembly in to boil it out so I just heated the gas block with a heat gun for ten minutes or so to try and melt out whatever is in there. Let it cool for a bit and ran a few patches with rubbing alcohol on them down the bore followed by one with oil and it looks very clean and shiny. Didn't take much at all to get it clean, I think the heat diffusing through the rest of the barrel helped free up a lot of it. Forgot to mention there's a fair bit of galling on one side. Don't think I did it given how its shaped it looks like it happened when the barrel was pressed in at the factory or perhaps during the original de-mill. Not sure if I should try to do anything about it or not.
    Last edited by matt74; 01-11-2020 at 10:44 PM.

  2. #17
    Member

    Member #
    62391
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    35
    Liked
    32 times
    I'll second getting good drill bits.

    The drill bits from AK Builder are actually very good quality for how cheap they are. The ones I get at the hardware store last about 1/4th as long and sometimes cost more. The only other good source of cheap yet still decent bits I know of is Grainger, not sure if you have them near you but they will ship.

  3. #18
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    26782
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    A happy place
    Posts
    553
    Liked
    587 times
    Prick punching first helps if trying to free hand it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #19
    Senior Member

    Member #
    14100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    414
    Liked
    44 times
    I’m technically on my 3rd build (simultaneously working on a couple kits actually) and just today I did about the same thing where the long front trunnion rivet (yugo build) didn’t get crushed quite dead center. Press had too much play in it and drifted off to one side. Tried fixing it but didn’t fix it good enough to center completely. On top of that I bent one of the little metal arms on the bottom front of the trunnion a bit while trying to dimple the long rivet hole on the receiver with a ball bearing and press. I may be the first person to be regressing in skill the more I build, haha.

  6. #20
    Senior Member

    Member #
    8659
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    8 times
    Haha that's all part of the process I think. Anytime I'm learning a new skill, if I manage to get it right the first time around usually the second or third time will be worse since I might not be paying as close attention or whatever.

    Better drill bits is definitely a good idea. The guide I ordered from AK Builder comes with one, hopefully that will make getting the rivets out a lot easier and I won't have to deal with trying to find center.

    Oh and I found another Mel64D video where he does the 74 style scope rail. He just puts a cutoff head of a self tapping screw on top of the rivet to give enough offset to get the rivet squeezers around it for the middle rivet of the scope rail. Gonna give that a try I think, seemed to work pretty well for him.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.