Gas port size.

Thread: Gas port size.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Gas port size.

Maybe somebody has some insight. I've got a WASR 2 that I did a barrel cut and pin a flash hider at 14.5 inches that now won't cycle. Shocking, right?
    I know the answer is a larger gas port, but I don't know how fast I should step it up. I've already hit it with a 5/64 which is a little over 0.078" and that helped a little. The cases went from FTE to being ejected about a foot and a half with a FTF. The bolt still isn't getting back far enough to strip a round and sometimes doesn't kick the round and stovepipes. I have a #43 drill bit that's 0.089" So, would you just hit it with the #43 or would you do one in between first, like a 0.085"?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, got it figured out and the gun is running well.

I ended up working up drill bit sizes from a #45 to a #44, and finally with the #43. The #45 gave me extractions (basically dropping them at my feet), but FTF. The #44 gave me about a four foot ejection pattern with intermittent (1/2 the time) FTF. The #43 gave the gun an 8-9 foot ejection without any malfunctions whatsoever through 120ish rounds. It was funny how going from the #44 to the #43 almost doubled the distance the cases were being thrown. I'm sure someone who's good at math could explain area of a circle when the diameter is increased by 0.004" combined with spring tension and barrel pressure. I know I can't. I'm just glad she's running again.

I hope this helps someone.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3404 times
    The ammunition type can make a difference as well.
    Though functioning with all types is desirable.

Trial and error is the best solution vs picking a specific gas port diameter.

Even the 16" spec is not etched in stone and a slightly smaller port can be effective and more pleasant shooting.

Sponsors