AKM Rate Retarder - Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mitchell

Thread: AKM Rate Retarder - Questions

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

AKM Rate Retarder - Questions

I was recently asked to identify a certain part of the common rate retarder assembly found in many 1,0mm stamped AKM and AK74 carbines. I looked through my drawing library and found nothing, and it was at that time I realized that I had never seen the individual part drawings of this assembly - I never had a reason to look since I catalogued all of the drawings a few years ago. I have all of the Izhevsk parts manufacturing drawings for the AKM and the Type 3 buttstock and underfolder carbine and even in the assembly drawings of the AKM this retarder assembly is neither called out nor shown. Some of the blueprints have revisions as late as 1974 so all should be current until that year. Also, none of the servicing manuals have any inspection criteria for parts of this assembly. We all know that its presence is not absolutely necessary for the AKM type to run correctly, and my observation is that it can make a slight change/stabilization in harmonics to possibly improve reliability during automatic firing.

Which made me ask myself a question; is the rate retarder a Tula development that may have eventually found its way to Izhevsk design, or was it not developed until the mid 1970's with the appearance of the AK74? This is not a critical question of course but it's one of those things that (kind of) begs an answer. Any input?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hello Robert, nice to see you over here. I was just singing your praise on another thread.

This would be a question for Doug or Jerry I am guessing. Doug doesn't come on much anymore but he could probably write a dissertation on the subject. Jerry, you around today???

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Polish repair manual from 1971 mention about rate retarder, also manual from 1967 mention about it.

1967 manual:

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I think what Mr. Forbus is talking about is a specific part of the RR, not the piece itself. But I could be wrong.
    Gman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Thank you. 1967? I presume Soviet factories adopted it first and it is strange that I do not have the files for it - unless it was initially a Tula item only.

Member #
    Liked
    852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rforbus View Post
    Thank you. 1967? I presume Soviet factories adopted it first and it is strange that I do not have the files for it - unless it was initially a Tula item only.
    Its in my izzy 1968 revision drawing set

One of the documentaries I saw mentioned that during AKM development in 1960(?) they slowed the rate of fire due to the light receiver/barrel assy it walked too much in f/a. Pretty sure the rate reducer and the slant brake has been in AKM since the beginning, or initial trials.
    Last edited by Sunspot; 12-02-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

Sponsors