Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Average Guy Attempts to Build AKM

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Only one deleted so all good. Let’s see if this one double posts.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    So I measured with calipers as best I could and it looked like .9065 to me. I guess that would make it an oversized barrel, but I’m going to have a friend with build experience measure it again before I buy a barrel.
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincymaga View Post
    So I measured with calipers as best I could and it looked like .9065 to me. I guess that would make it an oversized barrel, but I’m going to have a friend with build experience measure it again before I buy a barrel.
    Wait, maybe that is a standard trunnion then. I don’t know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Status Update:

Trunnion was actually .904.

$99 Standard AKM Nitrate barrel and $30 RAK 1 SA Trigger group ordered from Arms of America.
    Romanian 80% stamped receiver with proper selector marks and FCG and rivet layout guide ordered from Childers - roughly $115.
    2 Sets of rivets (because I'm sure I'll mess a few up) ordered from SuckerFreeGear.

Most importantly, found a friend with build experience who has kindly agreed to assist me with headspacing and populating the barrel using his equipment.

More updates to come.
    Last edited by Cincymaga; 08-24-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Status Update:

Nitrated barrel with gas port drilled and RAK1 trigger group arrived from AoA.

3mm; 4mm (2x); 5mm; 5.5mm; 7mm; and 10mm drill bits + 5mm & 7mm reamer set arrived from AKbuilder

Still waiting on Childers receiver.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Status Update:

Well my buddy and I headspaced the barrel this past weekend. We went slow and got it to the point where the bolt would just barely close on a go gage, so that it closes on a live round with just a little force, and won’t even come close to closing on a no go gauge. It took a little while, but the reward was a very nice tight headspacing.

Our first obstacle came in the form of the hand guard retainer which refused to lock in. Therefore, we did some light and careful grinding on the barrel with a file in the precut retainer slot which was on the barrel in order the widen the corner in which we could see the finish wear from where the hand guard retainer was refusing to close. After an hour of gentle work, we locked in the hand guard retainer and were able to use it as a leveling guide when pressing the trunnion. We then decided to wait until next week to drill the barrel pin as it was getting late.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Lastly, I received my BFPU lower hand guard, as I don’t like the look of the donkey dong, however I will keep it in storage so that I have the complete kit.

Thanks to sayhalo2mylittlefriend for the lower, I think it matches my kit pretty well.

The hope is to drill the barrel pin and populate the barrel during our next build session.

More updates to come next week.
    Attached Images

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3310 times
    Often better to rivet the trunnion to the receiver first.
    Then proceed with populating the barrel.

Saves pulling and repositioning the barrel to install the trunnion to the receiver. Insures a better stacking of the RSB, GB and receiver cover.

Either way can work but..,

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    Often better to rivet the trunnion to the receiver first.
    Then proceed with populating the barrel.

Saves pulling and repositioning the barrel to install the trunnion to the receiver. Insures a better stacking of the RSB, GB and receiver cover.

Either way can work but..,
    We'll probably drill the barrel pin then press the RSB, GB, & FSB, but not actually drill any pin holes until we press the barrel back out and rivet it to the trunnion so that we still have some wiggle room if anything needs to be adjusted. Still waiting on the Childers receiver. They told me they weren't back logged and I should have it in three weeks. I ordered it three weeks ago today, but I don't want to be an ass so I'll wait another week or two before I send an ETA email.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsors