Average Guy Attempts to Build AKM - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Average Guy Attempts to Build AKM

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    I wouldn’t set myself a timeline on the demill either. That might get you rushing to meet it even if you encounter a bit of a hangup, and might lead to mistakes. I’m not exactly handy either and my first time the demill took me longer than just one afternoon or whatever the expected time is. Seems to me, best thing would be to take it as slow as you need to so you avoid doing something wrong while you’re frustrated with the way it’s going.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Well I picked up a six pack of madtree and some Chinese expecting to spend my evening boiling ak parks but FedEx never showed up. I should tell AoA to get his $14 in shipping back, apparently you get a refund if FedEx misses their promised delivery date.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    My AofA kit comes Saturday... same thing with fedex. Hope it’s on schedule.

As for your build - I strongly urge you to get the press mentioned above, the AK build tools, and find a used drill press on CL (mine is a ryobi for $50). Then grab the few drills, end mill for the barrel pin, and 5 & 7mm reamers and you are ready to build. Once done, you can easily sell the build tools on here.

Good of luck and let us know where we can help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I’m really starting to consider it, I saw a 12 ton press for $75 and a few decent drill press’ in the $150 range on CL. It’s the ak builder and toth tooling that’s going to be the most expensive. I’m still hoping I can find a build buddy within a few hours to try it once first just to be sure it’s for me, but I’m going to do this regardless, so if that falls through I’ll start buying the tooling. I wish someone was willing to rent the equipment to me. I’d be willing to give them the FMV in a paypal transfer to hold onto as collateral until I return the equipment, but I don’t think anyone does that anymore.

Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    Send us some pics of your kit when it shows up and a pic of your newspaper from the same day. If you want help we would probably all like to make sure you are completely sincere about this hobby. Sorry but like said before by Averageman I think “these are strange times we live in”. A little bit of blind trust can get you badly burned. Not trying to be over the top but I would like to help you and I don’t gamble.
    Big thanks to Moses1986, 10Gauge, Pookie, NFA ARMS, Duck Durbin and everyone that served this country.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekanak47 View Post
    Send us some pics of your kit when it shows up and a pic of your newspaper from the same day. If you want help we would probably all like to make sure you are completely sincere about this hobby. Sorry but like said before by Averageman I think “these are strange times we live in”. A little bit of blind trust can get you badly burned. Not trying to be over the top but I would like to help you and I don’t gamble.
    I totally get it, I got an email saying my kit was delivered today so I'll unbox it when I get home from work. I don't get the newspaper, so I'll write CincyMaga and the date on a piece of paper and maybe put a can of madtree or a box of frozen skyline next to the kit as proof. Or I could set any common household object you state on top of it, like a can of chicken noodle soup or a frozen pizza. lol

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3310 times
    OK., ready for the pics...,

JeepFan, klagz13 and Mekanak47 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The kit is here and it’s beautiful, all matching serial numbers, completely demilled. Cleaning it with ballistol now. pics coming shortly!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Here we go!
    Attached Images
    JeepFan and Mekanak47 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Here we go part 2!
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Here we go part 3!
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    All matching serial numbers! I’m like a kid in a candy store right now. I’m definitely Gould to have Childers inscribe the same serial number on the receiver now.
    JeepFan, Mekanak47 and klagz13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I forgot to include the cleaning rod in the photo. Let me know if you think I am missing anything. I’m 99% sure I have everything. 4 small pins, barrel pin, sight leaf pin, front sight spring and detent, disconnector spring and Shepard’s hook. The random little twirly spring. I think I have everything. The internals look great. The wood needs to be refinished. Likely a rifle that was carried a lot and rarely fired.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    The wood needs to refinished?

I would leave all the parts as is and match the barrel and receiver as close as possible. Your kit looks to be in pretty good shape.
    klagz13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4763 times
    Congrats. That is going to build up into a nice looking rifle.

I'm hoping you find someone local to help you out. Post up your questions along the way.

Maybe take some time and think about it before you redo the wood. Did I miss what receiver your going with?
    klagz13 likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors